- Volume 38 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Finite Element Based Multi-Scale Ductile Failure Simulation of Full-Scale Pipes with a Circumferential Crack in a Low Carbon Steel
유한요소기반 다중스케일 연성파손모사 기법을 이용한 원주방향 균열이 존재하는 탄소강 실배관의 파손예측 및 검증
- Han, Jae-Jun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Bae, Kyung-Dong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yun-Jae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jong-Hyun (Structural Integrity and Materials Dept., KEPCO E&C) ;
- Kim, Nak-Hyun (Fast Reactor Design Division, KAERI)
- 한재준 (고려대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 배경동 (고려대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 김윤재 (고려대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 김종현 (한국전력기술 전력기술연구소) ;
- 김낙현 (한국원자력연구원 고속로설계부)
- Received : 2014.02.22
- Accepted : 2014.05.28
- Published : 2014.07.01
This paper describes multi-scale based ductile fracture simulation using finite element (FE) damage analysis. The maximum and crack initiation loads of cracked components were predicted using proposed virtual testing method. To apply the local approach criteria for ductile fracture, stress-modified fracture strain model was adopted as the damage criteria with modified calibration technique that only requires tensile and fracture toughness test data. Element-size-dependent critical damage model is also introduced to apply the proposed ductile fracture simulation to large-scale components. The results of the simulation were compared with those of the tests on SA333 Gr. 6 full-scale pipes at
Ductile Fracture;Full-scale Pipes;Virtual Testing Method;Finite Element Analysis;Damage Simulation;Element-size-dependent Critical Damage Model
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kim, N.-H., Oh, C.-S. and Kim, Y.-J., 2011, "A Numerical Method to Simulate Ductile Failure of Tensile Plates with Interacting Through-Wall Cracks," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 215-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2010.01514.x
- Kim, N.-H., Oh, C.-S., Kim, Y.-J., Yoon, K.-B. and Ma, Y.-H., 2011, "Comparison of Fracture Strain Based Ductile Failure Simulation with Experimental Results," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping Vol. 88, No. 10, pp. 434-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2011.07.006
- Kim, J. H., Kim, N. H., Kim, Y. J., Hasegawa, K. and Miyazaki, K., 2013, "Ductile Fracture Simulation of 304 Stainless Steel Pipes with Two Circumferential Surface Cracks," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol.36, No.10, pp. 1067-1080 https://doi.org/10.1111/ffe.12072
- Pipe Fracture Encyclopedia, Volume 3: Pipe Fracture Test Data, Battelle, Columbus, 1997.
- Abaqus 6.11, Analysis User's Manual, Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, 2011.
- Ewing, D. and Hill, R., 1967, "The Plastic Constraint of V-Notched Tension Bars," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 115-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(67)90021-X
- Bridgman, P. W., 1952, Studies in Large Plastic Flow and Fracture with Special Emphasis on the Effects of Hydrostatic Pressure, McGraw-Hill.
- ASM Handbook, 1992, "Friction, Lubrication and Wear Technology," American Society for Metals, Vol. 18.
- Blau, P. J., 2012, Friction Science and Technology: from Concepts to Applications, CRC press.
- Rice, J. R. and Tracey, D. M., 1969, "On the Ductile Enlargement of Voids in Triaxial Stress Fields," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 201-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(69)90033-7
- ASTM Standard E1820-11e1, 2011, "Standard Test Method for Measurement of Fracture Toughness," ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2011, DOI: 10.1520/E1820-11E01, www.astm.org. https://doi.org/10.1520/E1820-11E01
- ASTM Standard E8/E8M-11, 2011, "Standard Test Method for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials," ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2011, DOI: 10.1520/E0008_E0008M-11, www.astm.org. https://doi.org/10.1520/E0008_E0008M-11
- McClintock, F. A., 1968, "A Criterion for Ductile Fracture by the Growth of Holes," Journal of Applied Mechanics Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 363-371. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3601204
- Hancock, J. W. and Mackenzie, A. C., 1976, "On the Mechanisms of Ductile Failure in High-Strength Steels Subjected to Multi-Axial Stress-States," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids Vol. 24, No. 2-3, pp. 147-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(76)90024-7
- Arndt, J. and Dahl, W., 1997, "Effect of Void Growth and Shape on the Initiation of Ductile Failure of Steels," Computational Materials Science, Vol. 9, No. 1-2, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-0256(97)00052-9
- Kanvinde, A. and Deierlein, G., 2006, "The Void Growth Model and the Stress Modified Critical Strain Model to Predict Ductile Fracture in Structural Steels," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 132, No. 12, pp. 1907-1918. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:12(1907)
- Oh, C.-K., Kim, Y.-J., Baek, J.-H., Kim, Y.-P. and Kim, W., 2007, "A Phenomenological Model of Ductile Fracture for API X65 Steel," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences Vol. 49, No. 12, pp. 1399-1412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2007.03.008
- Oh, C.-S., Kim, N.-H., Kim, Y.-J., Baek, J.-H., Kim, Y.-P. and Kim, W.-S., 2011, "A Finite Element Ductile Failure Simulation Method Using Stress-Modified Fracture Strain Model," Engineering Fracture Mechanics Vol. 78, No. 1, pp. 124-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2010.10.004
- Evaluation of the Effect of Fracture Resistance Curve Change Owing to the Presence or Absence of Side Groove in C(T) Specimen on Finite Element Failure Model Parameter Determination vol.40, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.6.539