- Volume 38 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Comparison of GPU-Based Numerous Particles Simulation and Experiment
GPU 기반 대량입자 거동 시뮬레이션과 실험비교
- Park, Sang Wook (Graduate School of Mechatronics Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jun, Chul Woong (Graduate School of Mechatronics Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Sohn, Jeong Hyun (Department of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jae Wook (Ultimate Manufacturing Technology R&BD Group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology)
- Received : 2014.03.08
- Accepted : 2014.05.24
- Published : 2014.07.01
The dynamic behavior of numerous grains interacting with each other can be easily observed. In this study, this dynamic behavior was analyzed based on the contact between numerous grains. The discrete element method was used for analyzing the dynamic behavior of each particle and the neighboring-cell algorithm was employed for detecting their contact. The Hertzian and tangential sliding friction contact models were used for calculating the contact force acting between the particles. A GPU-based parallel program was developed for conducting the computer simulation and calculating the numerous contacts. The dam break experiment was performed to verify the simulation results. The reliability of the program was verified by comparing the results of the simulation with those of the experiment.
Discrete Element Method;Contact;Dam-Break;Parallel Programming;Particle Dynamics
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Duong, N. H., 2011, "Modeling the Dynamics of Toothbrush Using Discrete Element Method," Kumoh National Institute of Technology.
- Andre, D., Iordanoff, I., luc Charles, J. and Neauport, J., 2012, "Discrete Element Method to Simulate Continuous Material by Using the Cohesive Beam Model," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 213-216, 113-125 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2011.12.002
- Datta, A., Mishra, B. K., Das, S. P. and Sahu, A., 2008, "A DEM Analysis of Flow Characteristics of Noncohesive Particles in Hopper," Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 23:195-202. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426910701774742
- Heyn, T. D., 2009, "Simulation of Tracked Vehicles on Granular Terrain Leveraging GPU Computing," Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin- Madison.
- Wassgren, C. and Sarkar, A., 2009, "Discrete Element Method(DEM) Course Module," PHARMAHUB, Purdue University,Lecture 7-9.
- Mishra, B. K. and Murty, C. V. R., 2001, "On the Determination of Contact Parameters for Realistic DEM Simulations of Ball Mills," Powder Technology,Volume 115, Issue 3, 290-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-5910(00)00347-8
- Shabana, A. A., 2001, "Computational Dynamics 2Ed," Wiley-Interscience.
- Green, S., 2010, "Particle Simulation Using CUDA," NVIDIA Corporation.
- MSC Software,"ADAMS help,"MSC Software.
- Donze, F. V., Richefeu, V. and Magnier, S.-A., 2009, "Advances in Discrete Element Method Applied to Soil,Rock and Concrete Mechanics," in: State of the art of geotechanical engineering, Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, p. 44.
- Tanaka, H., Oida, A., Daikoku, M., Inooku, K., Summikawa, O. and Nagasaki, Y., 2007, "DEM Simulation of Soil Loosening Process Caused by a Vibrating Subsoiler," Agricultural Engineering International., The CIGR Ejournal, Vol. 9, manuscript PM 05 010.
- Cundall, P. A. and Strack, O. D. L., 1979, "A Discrete Numerical Model for Granular Assemblies," Geotechnique, 29:47-65. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.124
- Williams, J. R., Hocking, G. and Mustoe, G. G. W., 1985, "The Theoretical Basis of the Discrete Element Method," NUMETA '85.
- Shi, G. H, 1988, "Discontinuous Deformation Analysis - A New Numerical Model for the Statics and Dynamics of Block Systems," Ph.D. Thesis. Univ. of California, Berkeley, Calif.
- Parallel multilayer particle collision detection method based on performance estimation pp.1573-7543, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-1141-8