- Volume 38 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Insert Shape on the Improvement of Durability of Bolted Joints Applied to Composite Bogie Frames
복합재 대차프레임의 볼트 체결부 내구성 향상을 위한 인서트 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, JunHwan (Graduate School of Mechanical Design Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Shin, KwangBok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, JungSeok (Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.03.20
- Accepted : 2014.05.20
- Published : 2014.07.01
This paper describes the study on a method for improving the structural durability of bolted joints applied to a composite bogie frame. In this study, three bolted joints with and without inserts and screw threads were selected for determining the effect of the inserts, using experiment and analysis. The structural performances of the proposed bolted joints were compared and evaluated using the test method prescribed by the ASTM D5961 standard. The results revealed that the bolted joint having an insert shape without the screw thread offered improved durability for application to a composite bogie frame. Furthermore, the structural integrity of the frame comprising the bolted joints was evaluated using finite element analysis according to the JIS E 4207 standard. The Tasi-Wu and Von-Mises failure criteria were used for determining the failure of the composite structure and bolted joints, respectively. A sub-modeling technique was introduced for investigating the performance of the bolted joints in greater detail. The analysis results demonstrated that the Tasi-Wu failure index of the composite structure near the bolted joints was reduced by approximately one-half after applying an insert without the screw thread. This implies that the structural durability of the bolted joints of a composite bogie frame could be improved by using a metal insert without the screw thread.
Bolt Joint;Composite Bogie;Insert;Sub-Modeling
Grant : 복합소재 대차프레임의 볼트 체결부 내구성 향상을 위한 인서트 최적 설계 연구
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- Kim, J. S. and Yoon, H. J., 2011, "Structural Behaviors of a CFRP Composite Bogie Frame for Urban Subway Trains under Critical Load Conditions," ICM11, Vol. 10, pp. 2375-2380.
- Jang, H. J., Shin, K. B., Ko, H. Y. and Ko, T. H., "A Study on the Standardized Finite Element Models for Carbody Structures of Railway Vehicle Made of Sandwich Composites," Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 382-388.
- Leo, R. and Guenther, C., 1983, "New Technologies for Bogies Prototype of the First Fiber Composite Material(FVW) Bogies," ZEV-Glas. Ann., Vol. 110, No. 6/7, pp. 193-202.
- Maurin, L., Boussoir, J., Rougeault, S., Bugaud, M., Ferdinand, P., Landrot, A.G., Grunevald, Y. H. and Chauvin, T., "FBG-based Smart Composite Bogies for Railway Application," 2002, Optical Fiber Sensor Conference Technical Digest conference, Vol. 1, pp. 91-94.
- Lee, S. R., Lee, H. J., Han, S. W., Kim, J. Y., Cha, J. H., Kang, J. Y. and Park, C. K., 2000, "Fatigue Design and Fatigue Strength Evaluation of Bogie Frame," Spring Conference of The Korean Society for Railway, pp. 234-341.
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, Y. S., Kwon, H. W., Choi, J. H., Koo, J. M. and Seok, C. S., 2010, "Prediction of Fatigue Life for Hole-notched Weave CFRP Plate," Journal of The Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.7234/kscm.2010.23.3.001
- Choi, J. M., Chun, H. J. and Byun, J. H., 2005, "Effect of Various Parameters on Stress Distribution Around Hole in Mechanically Fastened Composite Laminates," Journal of The Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 9-18.
- ASTM International, 2005, Standard Test Method for Bearing Response of Polymer Matrix Composite Laminates, ASTM D5961/D5961M.
- Kim, J. H., Shin, K. B., Ko, H. Y. and Kim, J. S., 2010, "A Study on Optimum Design Analysis of Bolt Locations for Metal Joint Parts of Railway Composite Bogie Frames using Sub-modeling Method," Journal of The Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 19-25. https://doi.org/10.7234/kscm.2010.23.6.019
- Japanese Industrial Standard(JIS), 2004, Truck Frames for Railway Rolling Stock General Rules for Design, JIS E 4207
- Tsai, S. W. and Wu, E. M., 1971, "A General Theory of Strength for Anisotropic Materials," Journal of Composite materials, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 58-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837100500106