- Volume 38 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Film Insert Molding of Automotive Door Grip Using Injection-Compression Molding
사출압축성형을 이용한 자동차용 도어그립 필름인서트성형
- Lee, Ho Sang (Dept. of Aeronautical & Mechanical Design Engineering, Korea Nat'l Univ. of Transportation) ;
- Yoo, Young Gil (Dept. of Aeronautical & Mechanical Design Engineering, Korea Nat'l Univ. of Transportation) ;
- Kim, Tae An (Dongwon Tech. Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2014.03.22
- Accepted : 2014.05.12
- Published : 2014.07.01
Injection-compression molding was used for film insert molding of an automotive door grip using films with three-dimensional embossed patterns. A vacuum mold was fabricated for vacuum-assisted thermoforming of the film, and an injection-compression mold was developed for film insert molding. Three pressure transducers were installed inside the mold cavity to measure cavity pressures. Injection-compression molding experiments under various compression strokes and toggle speeds were performed to investigate their effects on the cavity pressure and heights of the embossed patterns. The compression stroke of 0.9mm and low toggle speed resulted in a higher degree of conservation of embossed patterns. Additionally, the processing conditions for the maximum heights of embossed patterns were almost similar to those for minimum integral value of cavity pressures. The injection-compression molding process presents the opportunity to impart a soft-touch feeling of plastic parts printed with embossed patterns.
Film Insert Molding;Injection-Compression Molding;Injection Molding;Embossed Film;Cavity Pressure;Mold
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Michaeli, W. and Wielpuetz, M., 2000, "Optimization of the Optical Quality of Polymer Glasses in the Injection Compression Molding Process," Macromol. Mater. Eng., Vol. 284/285, pp. 8-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/1439-2054(20001201)284:1<8::AID-MAME8>3.3.CO;2-T
- Yang, S. Y. and Chen, Y. C., 1998, "Experimental Study of Injection-Charged Compression Molding of Thermoplastic," Advances in Polymer Technology, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 353-360. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2329(199824)17:4<353::AID-ADV6>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Yang, Y. and Ke, M. Z., 1993, "Experimental Study of Injection Compression Molding," SPE ANTEC'93, pp. 2182-2187.
- Yang, S. Y. and Ke, M. Z., 1995, "Experimental Study on the Effects of Adding Compression to Injection Molding Process," Advances in Polymer Technology, Vol. 14, pp. 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/adv.1995.060140102
- Lee, H. S., Jeon, W. T. and Kim, S. W., 2013, "Development of Plastic Lenses for High-Resolution Phone Camera by Injection-Compression Molding," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp.39-46. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.1.039
- Lee , H.-S. and Yoo, Y.-G., 2013, "Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Laminated-Film Thickness Variation in Vacuum-Assisted Thermoforming," Trans. Mater. Process., Vol.22, No.3, pp.171-177. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2013.22.3.171
- Lee , H.-S. and Yoo, Y.-G., 2014, "Experimental Study of Injection-Compression Molding of Film Insert Molded Plates," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 455-461. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0357-2
- Baek, S. J., Kim, S. Y., Lee, S. H., Youn, J. R. and Lee, S. H., 2008, "Effect of Processing Conditions on Warpage of Film Insert Molded Parts," Fiber. Polym., Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 747-754. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-008-0117-y
- Leong, Y. W., Yamaguchi, S., Mizoguchi, M., Hamada, H., Ishiaku, U. S. and Tsujii, T., 2004, "The Effect of Molding Conditions on Mechanical and Morphological Properties at the Interface of Film Insert Injection Molded Polypropylene- Film/Polypropylene Matrix," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 44, No. 12, pp. 2327-2334. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.20260
- Leong, Y. W., Umemura, T. and Hamada, H., 2008, "Film Insert Molding as a Novel Weld-Line Inhibition and Strengthening Technique," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 2147-2158. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.21157
- Oh, H. J., Song, Y. S., Lee, S. H. and Youn, J. R., 2009, "Development of Warpage and Residual Stresses in Film Insert Molded Parts," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 49, No. 7, pp. 1389-1399. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.21354
- Kim, S.Y., Oh, H. J., Kim, S. H., Kim, C. H., Lee, S. H. and Youn, J. R., 2008, "Prediction of Residual Stress and Viscoelastic Deformation of Film Insert Molded Parts," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 48, No. 9, pp. 1840-1847. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.21152
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, S. H., Oh, H. J., Lee, S. H., Baek, S. J., Youn, J. R. , Lee, S. H. and Kim, S. W., 2008, "Molded Geometry and Viscoelastic Behavior of Film Insert Molded Parts," J. Appl. Polym., Vol. 111, No. 2, pp. 642-650.
- Chen, S.-C., Li, H.-M., Huang, S.-T. and Wang, Y.-C., 2010, "Effect of Decoration Film on Mold Surface Temperature During In-Mold Decoration Injection Molding Process," Int. Comm. Heat Mass Trans., Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 501-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2010.01.005
- Miura, T., 2009, "The Development and Progress of the Three-Dimensional Overlay Method(TOM)," J. Imaging Soc. Japan, Vol. 48, No.4, pp. 277-284.
- Isayev, A. I., 2000, Molding Processes in Handbook of Industrial Automation. Shell, R.L., Hall, E.L. (Eds.), Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 573-606.
- Klepek, G., 1987, "Manufacturing Optical Lens by Injection Compression Molding," Kunststoffe, Vol. 77, p. 13.
- Effect of Nitriding on Fatigue Characteristics of Cr-Mo Alloy Steel vol.39, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.6.597
- Optimization of process variables for improvement of seat-backboard peel strength using response surface design method vol.31, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-1135-8