- Volume 38 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Development of Indoor Locomotion Assistive Robot, Ball-Chair, for the Elderly
고령자를 위한 실내 이동 보조 로봇 볼체어의 개발
- Kim, Woo-Yong (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jung-Yup (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2014.01.17
- Accepted : 2014.05.07
- Published : 2014.07.01
This paper describes the development of an indoor locomotion assistive robot, Ball-Chair, comprising a novel drive system. This robot facilitates locomotion assistive operation in narrow spaces, in which common wheelchairs cannot move easily. The Ball-Chair has two main features: its structural feature and driving mechanism. The exoskeleton frames of the Ball-Chair have been designed with octagonal shapes resembling a circle, for minimizing its volume and weight. Additionally, all its driving parts (including the ball) are mounted within of the robot to enhance its safety. The Ball-Chair features a reverse ball-mouse driving mechanism comprising two driving omni-wheels in the x- and y-axes. By controlling the speed of each omni-wheel, a holonomic driving system that can facilitate omnidirectional locomotion has been achieved using only two wheels. The effective movement of the Ball-Chair in any direction within narrow indoor spaces was experimentally verified. The paper outlines the development procedure in detail.
Assistive Robot;Indoor Locomotion;Ball-Chair
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- Hertig, L., Schindler, D., Bloesch, M., Remy, C. D. and Siegwart, R., 2013, "Unified State Estimation for a Ballbot," IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 2471-2476.
- Takei, T., Suzuki, Y., Matsumoto, O., Adachi, Y., Sasaki, Y. and Kamo, M., 2010, "Development of Assistive Technologies for Safe Operation of Electric Wheelchairs on Sloping Sidewalks and Grade Height Differences," IEEE/SICE International Symposium on SI International 2010 pp. 43-48.
- Kim, H. S., K0, Y. J. and Woo, H. R., 2006, "Design Development of Robot to Support Movement of Old People," Journal of Korean Society for Design Science, Vol. 10, pp. 112-113.
- Xing, C., Lee, H. C. and Cho, K. S., 2010, "The Research of Disapproval in Silver Products - Testified via Electric Wheelchair," Journal of Korean Society for Emotion and Sensibility, Vol. 13, No 2, pp. 317-326.
- The Korea Statistics, http://kostat.go.kr.
- Jo, J. H. and Hwang, B. J., 2010, "The Study on Designing and Making Power Lifting Wheelchair using Mecanum Wheels," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 211-218.
- Lee, Y. R., 2001, "Development of Electric Wheelchair for Work," Investigation Research Report, Employment Support Team in Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled.
- Wada, M., 2005, "An Omnidirectional 4ED Mobile Platform for Wheelchair Application," International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 576-581.