- Volume 19 Issue 2
Weirs are conventional structures that control water level and velocity in streams to facilitate water resource management. Despite many weirs built in streams, there is little information how weirs change hydrology regime and how that translates to sediment and phosphorus (P) responses. This study evaluated the influence of weirs on P retention and mobilization in an urban tributary of the Han River in Korea. Total P concentrations in sediments upstream of weirs were higher than the downstream site, mainly due to the increase of potentially available fractions (labile P and aluminum- and iron-bound P) (p < 0.05). Equilibrium phosphorus concentrations (
Eutrophication;Phosphorus release;Urban stream;Weir
- Zanini L, Robertson WD, Ptacek CJ, Schiff SL, Mayer T. Phosphorus characterization in sediments impacted by septic effluent at four sites in central Canada. J. Contam. Hydrol. 1998;33:405-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-7722(98)00082-5
- Jan J, Borovec J, Kopacek J, Hejzlar J. What do results of common sequential fractionation and single-step extractions tell us about P binding with Fe and Al compounds in non-calcareous sediments? Water Res. 2013;47:547-557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2012.10.053
- Kopacek J, Maresova M, Hejzlar J, Norton SA. Natural inactivation of phosphorus by aluminum in preindustrial lake sediments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2007;52:1147-1155. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2007.52.3.1147
- Vo NX, Kang H. Regulation of soil enzyme activities in constructed wetlands under a short-term drying period. Chem. Ecol. 2013;29:146-165. https://doi.org/10.1080/02757540.2012.711323
- Gachter R, Meyer JS. The role of microorganisms in mobilization and fixation of phosphorus in sediments. Hydrobiologia 1993;253:103-121. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00050731
- Lottig NR, Stanley EH. Benthic sediment influence on dissolved phosphorus concentrations in a headwater stream. Biogeochemistry 2007;84:297-309. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-007-9116-0
- Dorioz JM, Cassell EA, Orand A, Eisenman KG. Phosphorus storage, transport and export dynamics in the Foron River watershed. Hydrol. Process. 1998;12:285-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1085(199802)12:2<285::AID-HYP577>3.0.CO;2-H
- Svendsen LM, Kronvang B. Retention of nitrogen and phosphorus in a Danish lowland river system: implications for the export from the watershed. Hydrobiologia 1993;251:123-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00007172
- Jarvie HP, Neal C, Withers PJ, Baker DB, Richards RP, Sharpley AN. (2011). Quantifying phosphorus retention and release in rivers and watersheds using extended end-member mixing analysis (E-EMMA). J. Environ. Qual. 2011;40:492-504. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2010.0298
- Burian SJ, Nix SJ, Pitt RE, Durrans SR. Urban wastewater management in the United States: past, present, and future. J. Urban Technol. 2000;7:33-62. https://doi.org/10.1080/713684134
- Bostrom B, Andersen JM, Fleischer S, Jansson M. Exchange of phosphorus across the sediment-water interface. Hydrobiologia 1988;170:229-244 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00024907
- Das J, Daroub SH, Bhadha JH, Lang TA, Josan M. Phosphorus release and equilibrium dynamics of canal sediments within the Everglades Agricultural Area, Florida. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2012;223:2865-2879. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-012-1152-2
- Nurnberg GK. Prediction of phosphorus release rates from total and reductant-soluble phosphorus in anoxic lake sediments. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 1988;45:453-462. https://doi.org/10.1139/f88-054
- Williams JD, Syers JK, Armstrong DE, Harris RF. Characterization of inorganic phosphate in noncalcareous lake sediments. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1971;35:556-561. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1971.03615995003500040024x
- Belmont MA, White JR, Reddy KR. Phosphorus sorption and potential phosphorus storage in sediments of Lake Istokpoga and the upper chain of lakes, Florida, USA. J. Environ. Qual. 2009;38:987-996. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2007.0532
- Erskine WD, Saynor MJ. Hydrology and bedload transport relationships for sand-bed streams in the Ngarradj Creek catchment, northern Australia. J. Hydrol. 2013;483:68-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.01.002
- Han L, Huang S, Stanley CD, Osborne TZ. Phosphorus fractionation in core sediments from Haihe River mainstream, China. Soil Sediment Contam. 2011;20:30-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/15320383.2011.528469
- Jensen HS, Mortensen PB, Andersen FO, Rasmussen E, Jensen A. Phosphorus cycling in a coastal marine sediment, Aarhus Bay, Denmark. Limnol. Oceanogr. 1995;40:908-917. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1995.40.5.0908
- Moore PA, Reddy KR, Fisher MM. Phosphorus flux between sediment and overlying water in Lake Okeechobee, Florida: spatial and temporal variations. J. Environ. Qual. 1998;27:1428-1439.
- Olila OG, Reddy KR. Influence of pH on phosphorus retention in oxidized lake sediments. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1995;59:946-959. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1995.03615995005900030046x
- Diaz OA, Daroub SH, Stuck JD, Clark MW, Lang TA, Reddy KR. Sediment inventory and phosphorus fractions for water conservation area canals in the Everglades. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 2006;70:863-871. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2005.0059
Kang H, Kim SY, Fenner N, Freeman C. Shifts of soil enzyme activities in wetlands exposed to elevated
$CO_2$. Sci. Total Environ. 2005;337:207-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.06.015
- Aran D, Maul A, Masfaraud JF. A spectrophotometric measurement of soil cation exchange capacity based on cobaltihexamine chloride absorbance. Comptes Rendus Geosci. 2008;340:865-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crte.2008.07.015
- Chen M, Ma LQ. Comparison of four USEPA digestion methods for trace metal analysis using certified and Florida soils. J. Environ. Qual. 1998;27:1294-1300.
- Zhang H, Kovar JL. Fractionation of soil phosphorus. In: Pierzynski GM. Methods of phosphorus analysis for soils, sediments, residuals, and waters. North Caroline: North Carolina State University; 2009. p. 50-60.
- Vo NX, Ji YH, Kang HJ. Distribution of phosphorus fractions in the sediment of South Han River during a rainy season. Proceedings of the 2012 World Congress on Advances in Civil, Environmental, and Materials Research; 2012 Aug 26-30; Seoul, Korea.
- Auer MT, Johnson NA, Penn MR, Effler SW. Measurement and verification of rates of sediment phosphorus release for a hypereutrophic urban lake. Hydrobiologia 1993;253:301-309. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00050750
- Taylor AW, Kunishi HM. Phosphate equilibria on stream sediment and soil in a watershed draining an agricultural region. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1971;19:827-831. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60177a061
- Jarvie HP, Jurgens MD, Williams RJ, et al. Role of river bed sediments as sources and sinks of phosphorus across two major eutrophic UK river basins: the Hampshire Avon and Herefordshire Wye. J. Hydrol. 2005;304:51-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2004.10.002
- Meyer JL, Paul MJ, Taulbee WK. Stream ecosystem function in urbanizing landscapes. J. North Am. Benthol. Soc. 2005;24:602-612. https://doi.org/10.1899/04-021.1
- Mainstone CP, Parr W. Phosphorus in rivers: ecology and management. Sci. Total Environ. 2002;282:25-47.
- Zhang JZ, Huang XL. Relative importance of solid-phase phosphorus and iron on the sorption behavior of sediments. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2007;41:2789-2795. https://doi.org/10.1021/es061836q
- Reddy KR, Diaz OA, Scinto LJ, Agami M. Phosphorus dynamics in selected wetlands and streams of the Lake Okeechobee Basin. Ecol. Eng. 1995;5:183-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-8574(95)00024-0
- Mortimer CH. Chemical exchanges between sediments and water in the Great Lakes-speculations on probable regulatory mechanisms. Limnol. Oceanogr. 1971;16:387-404. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1971.16.2.0387
- Mortimer CH. The exchange of dissolved substances between mud and water in lakes. J. Ecol. 1941;29:280-329. https://doi.org/10.2307/2256395
- Mortimer CH. The exchange of dissolved substances between mud and water in lakes. J. Ecol. 1942;30:147-201. https://doi.org/10.2307/2256691
- Gachter R, Muller B. Why the phosphorus retention of lakes does not necessarily depend on the oxygen supply to their sediment surface. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2003;48:929-933. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2003.48.2.0929
- Gachter R, Wehrli B. Ten years of artificial mixing and oxygenation: no effect on the internal phosphorus loading of two eutrophic lakes. Environ. Sci. Technol. 1998;32:3659-3665. https://doi.org/10.1021/es980418l
- Blomqvist S, Gunnars A, Elmgren R. Why the limiting nutrient differs between temperate coastal seas and freshwater lakes: a matter of salt. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2004;49:2236-2241. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2004.49.6.2236
- Caraco NF, Cole JJ, Likens GE. Evidence for sulphate-controlled phosphorus release from sediments of aquatic systems. Nature 1989;341:316-318. https://doi.org/10.1038/341316a0
- Korean Ministry of Environment. Statistics of sewerage 2006. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment; 2007.
- Greenberg AE, Clesceri LS, Eaton AD. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 18th ed. Washington: American Public Health Association; 1992.
- Page AL. Methods of soil analysis: Part 2. Chemical and microbiological properties. Madison: American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America; 1982.
- Kang H, Freeman C, Lee D, Mitsch WJ. Enzyme activities in constructed wetlands: implication for water quality amelioration. Hydrobiologia 1998;368:231-235. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003219123729
- Usborne EL, Kroger R, Pierce SC, Brandt J, Goetz D. Preliminary evidence of sediment and phosphorus dynamics behind newly installed low-grade weirs in agricultural drainage ditches. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2013;224:1-11.
- Moss B, Balls H, Booker I, Manson K, Timms M. Problems in the construction of a nutrient budget for the River Bure and its Broads (Norfolk) prior to its restoration from eutrophication. In: Lund JW, Round FE. Algae and the aquatic environment. Bristol: Biopress; 1988. p. 327-353.
- Sharpley A, Jarvie HP, Buda A, May L, Spears B, Kleinman P. Phosphorus legacy: overcoming the effects of past management practices to mitigate future water quality impairment. J. Environ. Qual. 2013;42:1308-1326. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2013.03.0098
- James WF, Larson CE. (2008). Phosphorus dynamics and loading in the turbid Minnesota River (USA): controls and recycling potential. Biogeochem. 2008;90:75-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-008-9232-5
- McDowell RW, Sharpley AN, Chalmers AT. Land use and flow regime effects on phosphorus chemical dynamics in the fluvial sediment of the Winooski River, Vermont. Ecol. Eng. 2002;18:477-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8574(01)00108-2
- Kleinman P, Sharpley A, Buda A, Mcdowell R, Allen A. Soil controls of phosphorus in runoff: management barriers and opportunities. Can. J. Soil Sci. 2011;91:329-338. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjss09106
- Rickard C, Day R, Purseglove J. River weirs: good practice guide. Bristol: Environment Agency; 2003.
- Hupfer M, Lewandowski J. Oxygen controls the phosphorus release from lake sediments: a long-lasting paradigm in limnology. Int. Rev. Hydrobiol. 2008;93:415-432. https://doi.org/10.1002/iroh.200711054
- Utley BC, Vellidis G, Lowrance R, Smith MC. Factors affecting sediment oxygen demand dynamics in blackwater streams of Georgia's coastal plain. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 2008;44:742-753. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00202.x
- Moore A, Reddy KR. Role of Eh and pH on phosphorus geochemistry in sediments of Lake Okeechobee, Florida. J. Environ. Qual. 1994;23:955-964.
- Torres IC, Resck RP, Pinto-Coelho RM. Mass balance estimation of nitrogen, carbon, phosphorus and total suspended solids in the urban eutrophic, Pampulha reservoir, Brazil. Acta Limnologica Brasiliensia 2007;19:79-91.
- Palmer-Felgate EJ, Jarvie HP, Williams RJ, Mortimer RJ, Loewenthal M, Neal C. Phosphorus dynamics and productivity in a sewage-impacted lowland chalk stream. J. Hydrol. 2008:351:87-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.11.036
- Carpenter SR. Eutrophication of aquatic ecosystems: bistability and soil phosphorus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2005;102:10002-10005. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0503959102
- Schindler DW. Recent advances in the understanding and management of eutrophication. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2006;51:356-363. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2006.51.1_part_2.0356
- Ackers P, White W, Perkins JA, Harrison AJ. Weirs and flumes for flow measurement. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons; 1978.
- Praskievicz S, Chang H. A review of hydrological modelling of basin-scale climate change and urban development impacts. Prog. Phys. Geogr. 2009;33:650-671. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133309348098
- Hassan MA, Church M, Lisle TE, Brardinoni F, Benda L, Grant GE. Sediment transport and channel morphology of small, forested streams. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 2005;41:853-876. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2005.tb03774.x
- Kroger R, Moore MT, Farris JL, Gopalan M. Evidence for the use of low-grade weirs in drainage ditches to improve nutrient reductions from agriculture. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2011;221:223-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-011-0785-x
- Demars BO, Harper DM, Pitt JA, Slaughter R. Impact of phosphorus control measures on in-river phosphorus retention associated with point source pollution. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2005;2:43-55.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. Federal Water pollution Control Act: as amended through P.L. 107-303, November 27, 2002 [Internet]. Washington: US Environmental Protection Agency; 2002 [cited 2014 May 26]. Available from: http://www.epw.senate.gov/water.pdf
- Duan S, Kaushal SS, Groffman PM, Band LE, Belt KT. (2012). Phosphorus export across an urban to rural gradient in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci. (2005-2012) 2012;117:G01025.
- Burford MA, Green SA, Cook AJ, Johnson SA, Kerr JG, O'Brien KR. Sources and fate of nutrients in a subtropical reservoir. Aquat. Sci. 2012;74:179-190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00027-011-0209-4
- Evaluation of the tributaries by influence index on the mid-lower portion of the Nakdong River basin vol.23, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2017.067
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea