- Volume 14 Issue 6
Purpose: This study investigated experience of role conflict of geriatric nurse practitioners by qualitative study. Methods: This study is based on the qualitative research using phenomenological methodology. The research participants were 5 geriatric nurse practitioners. The data collection methodologies were in -depth interviews. The interviews were conducted 2 to 4 times where each interview lasted within the range of 30 minutes to 2 hours. The data collection and analysis were carried out simultaneously and the Colaizzi (1978) methodology was adopted for the data analysis. Results: As result of research, from 75 significant statements, 12 meaningful statements, 6 themes, and 3 clusters of themes were extracted. The 3 clusters of themes are 'Intrapersonal role conflict', 'Relationship role conflict', and 'Institutional role conflict'. Conclusion: The finding of this study suggest the legal status guarantee have to be prepared in order to resolve the role conflict of geriatric nurse practitioners.
Geriatric Nurse Practitioner;Role Conflict;Qualitative Research
- M. A. Kim and Y. H. Kim, "Establishment and future direction of geriatric nurse practitioner program," Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, Vol.7, No.1, pp.11-21, 2003.
- M. H. Nam and S. H. Lee, "Effect of job stress and coping strategy on job satisfaction in a hospital works," The Korean J. of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.15, No.1, pp.1-11, 2003.
- J. H. Kim, "Demand-supply of advanced practice nurse(APN) and alternative benefit strategies in the national health insurance," Perspectives in Nursing Science, Vol.7, No.1, pp.23-35, 2010.
- K. S. Kim and M. W. Kim, "Present and political tasks of Advanced Practice Nursein Korea," Perspectives in Nursing Science, Vol.6, No.1, pp.39-53, 2009.
- M. J. Kim, "Hospital nurses' experience on communication between nurses and physicians," Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2010.
- C. Johnson, "Bad blood: doctor-nurse behavior problems impact patient care," Physician Executive, Vol.35, No.6, pp.6-11, 2009.
- J. S. Lee and J. S. Kim, "Professional role conflict experience of perioperative nurses through nursing performance," The Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol.20, No.4, pp.257-266, 2012.
- M. Aigner, S. Drew, and J. Phipps, "Comparative study of nursing home resident outcomes between care provided by nurse practitioners/physicians versus physicians only," J. of the American Medical Directors Association, Vol.5, No.1, pp.16-23, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1525-8610(04)70039-0
- G. D. Sherwood, M. Brown, V. Fa, and D. Wardell, "Defining nurse practitioner scope of practice: Expanding primary care services," The Internet Journal of Advanced Nursing Practice, Vol.1, No.2, p.12, 2010.
- S. J. Park and H. J. Choe, "The influence of the role ambiguity, role conflict, and self-efficacy on job attitude of banders in Busan," J. of Human Resource Management Research, Vol.13, No.3, pp.79-94, 2006.
- K. R. Kim, "Advanced practice nurse system and unlicensed medical practice," J. of Low and Medicine, Vol.11, No.1, pp.173-198, 2010.
- E. J. Sullivan and P. J. Decker, "Effective management in nursing," New York: Addison Wesley Publishing Company, 1985.
- M. H. Sung and M. O. Oh, "The relationships of professional self-concept, role conflict and job satisfaction on emergency department nurses," J. of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, pp.107-115, 2011.
- J. Ford, "NP hospitalists," Advance for nurse practitioners,Vol.17,No.2,pp.43-46, 2009.
- M. Hojat, J. Connella, T. Nasca, S. Fields, A. Cicchetti, and A. Scalzo, "Comparisons of American, Israeli, Italian and Mexican physicians and nurses on the total and factor scores of the Jefferson scale of attitudes toward physician-nurse collaborative relationships," International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.40, pp.427-435, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(02)00108-6
- S. J. Shin, "The current condition of activities, role conflict and job satisfaction of advanced practice nurses certificate holders in one region," Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, 2013.
- K. M. Im and J. M. Seo, "Task analysis of the job description of gerontological advanced practice nurses in the hospital setting," Global Health & Nursing, Vol.4, No.1, pp.37-47, 2014.
- K. R. Shin, M. O. Cho, J. H. Yang, J. S. Ko, N. S. Kim, and Y. H. Lee, Qualitative research methodology, Ewha Womans University Press, 2004.
- F. U. Colaizzi, "Psychological research as the phenomenogist views it. in R. S. Valle, and M. King (Eds), Existential-phenomenological alternatives for psychology," Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Y. J. Moon, "Latent means analysis of mentor of role stress, professional identity and job performance for public social workers," Korean journal of social welfare studies, Vol.35, pp.93-115, 2007.
- J. Allen and A. Fabri, "An evaluation of a community aged care nurse practitioner service," J. of Clinical Nursing, Vol.14, No.10, pp.1202-1209, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01199.x
- J. R. Kim, "A study on self-esteem, role conflict, and work stress and the turnover intention of geriatric hospital nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, 2010.
- S. Y. Lee and H. Y. Lim, "Care workers' perceptions of professionalism and job satisfaction," Korean Academy of Social Welfare Support, J. of Digital Contents Society, Vol.13, No.7, pp.238-247, 2013.
- S. S. Kim, G. S. Chae, K. N. Kim, K. O. Park, and S. M. Moon, "Survey on nursing care delivery systems of university affiliated hospitals in Korea," J. of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.16, No.1, pp.165-175, 2010.
- S. K. Miller, "Impact of a gerontological nurse practitioner on the nursing home elderly in the acute care setting," Advanced Practicein Acute & Critical Care, Vol.8, No.4, pp.609-615, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00044067-199711000-00012
- C. C. Hendrix and C. W. Wojciechowski, "Chronic care management for the elderly: An opportunity for gerontological nurse practitioners," J. of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Vol.17, No.7, pp.263-267, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2005.0044.x
- K. J. Lee, E. S. Kong, N. C Kim, J. H. Kim, C. G. Kim, and H. K. Kim, "Roles and functions of the gerontological nurse practitioner," J. of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol.6, No.1, pp.125-133, 2004.