- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Measurement and Estimation for the Clearance of Radioactive Waste with Patients of Thyroid Treatment
갑상선 진료환자 관련 방사성폐기물의 처분을 위한 방사능 측정 및 평가
- Received : 2014.03.17
- Accepted : 2014.04.13
- Published : 2014.06.28
The generation amount of radioactive waste has been rapidly increased by increase of the usage of radioisotope source in medical field. Especially, the use of the radioactive source of I-131 with short half-life of 8.02 days used in treatment of thyroid has been increased, and all of the wastes concerned have been disposed by means of the self-disposal method. IAEA proposed criteria for clearance level of waste which depends on the individual (10
Radioactive Waste;Thyroid;Clearance level;Measurement of Radioactivity
- R. Ravichandran, J. P. Binukumar, R. Sreeram, and L. S. Arunkumar, "An overview of radioactive waste disposal procedures of a nuclear medicine," J Med Phys, Vol.36, No.2, pp.95-99, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-6203.79692
- M. J. Park, J. H. Kim, J. C. Jang, C. H. Kim, J. M. Jeong, and D. S. Lee, "Optimization of Inpatient Management of Radioiodine Treatment in Korea," Nucl Med Mol Imaging, Vol.42, No.4, pp.261-266, 2008.
- Shapito J: Radiation Protection: A guide for scientists, regulators and Physicians, 4th ed, Harvard University Press, pp.359-371, 2002.
- IAEA Safety Series No.40: Applying Radiation Safety Standards in Nuclear Medicine, 2005.
- IAEA Safety Series No.111: Classification of Radioactive Waste, 1994.
- IAEA TECDOC-1183: Management of radioactive waste from the use of radionuclides in medicine, 2000.
- IAEA Safety Series No.111-P-1.1: Application of exemption principles to the recycle and reuse of materials from nuclear facilities, 1992.
- IAEA S/S No. RS-G-1.7: Application of the Concepts of Exclusion, Exemption and Clearance, 2004.
- 한국원자력의학원, 한국원자력안전기술원 위탁과제보고서: Measurement of Radioactive waste contaminated with Radioisotopes for medical application, 2013.
- 원자력안전위원회고시 제2012-59호: 방사성폐기 물의 자체처분에 관한 규정, 2012.
- J. S. Ryu, "Diagnostic and Therapeutic Approaches to Radioactive Iodine Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer," Korean J Otorhinolaryngol- Head Neck Surg, Vol.55, pp.403-409 2012. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2012.55.7.403
- National Cancer Center, Ministry of Health & Welfare. Cancer Facts & Figures 2011 in the Republic of Korea. Seoul, Republic of Korea; pp.6-21, 2011.
- ICRP Publication 94: Release of Patients after therapy with unsealed radionuclides, 2004.