- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Further Analyses on the Contemporary Changes of Profitability for the Firms Belonging to the Chaebol in the Republic of Korea
한국 재벌기업들의 수익성 결정요인에 대한 추세적 심층분석
- Received : 2014.01.15
- Accepted : 2014.02.27
- Published : 2014.06.28
This study addresses an empirical issue which has been received little attention in the contemporary finance literature: To identify any financial determinants of the profitability indices for the firms belonging to the Korean chaebol. Three hypotheses of concern were postulated and tested for the sample firms covering the periods of the pre-and post-financial global crises. Regarding the results on the 1st hypothesis test of characterizing any financial profiles for the firms (belonging to the chaebols) by estimating a legitimate panel data model: the present study found the statistically significant relationships of the explanatory variables (BVLEVl, MVLEVl, MV/BV, RISK, FCFF and FOS) with the book-value based profitability ratio: while the market-valued profitability index was explained only by BVLEV2. Regarding the 2nd hypothesis test for the profitability of the sample firms at the industry level: the chaebol firms in the chemical and the food industries overall positioned themselves into the top ranks in order, which was tested by the ANCOVA and the Tukey multiple comparison procedure. Finally: on the 3rd hypothesis test for the 'adjusted' Dupont system, only two such as the 'operating margin' and the 'asset turnover' showed their significant effects between the chaebol firms and their counterparts in both the (parametric) independent samples t-test and the (nonparametric) Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney statistics.
Profitability Index;Korean Capital Markets;The Panel Data Model;ANCOVA;Adjusted Dupont System
- H. Kim, "Further Investigations on the Financial Attributes of the Firms listed in the KOSDAQ Stock Market," International Journal of Contents, Vol.9, No.2, pp.27-37, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.2.027
- H. Kim, "Financial Profile of Capital Structures for the Firms Listed in the KOSPI Market in South Korea," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.11, pp.829-833, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.829
- J. Noh and Z. Ko, "Improvement of the Legal System and Constraints on the Investment Between Korea,China and Japan," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.12, pp.702-714, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.702
- J. Goddard, M. Tavakoli, and J. Wilson, "Sources of Variation in Firm Profitability and Growth," Journal of Business Research, Vol.62, pp.495-508, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.10.007
- J. Choi, "A Comparison of Management Structure between the Rising and Falling Chaebols," The Korean Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol.18, pp.79-100, 2010.
- A. Gill, N. Biger, and N. Mathur, "The Effect of Capital Structure on Profitability: Evidence from the United States," International Journal of Management, Vol.28, No.4, pp.3-16, 2011.
- E. Brigham, F. Houston, H. Jun-Ming, K. Kee, and A. Bany-Ariffin, Essentials of Financial Management, Cengage Learning, 2013.
- H. Park, "Practical Guides To Panel Data Analysis," 2011. htp://www.iuj.ac.jp/faculty
- D. Scott, Jr. and J. Martin, "Industry Influence on Financial structure," Financial Management, Spring, pp.67-73, 1975.
- H. Kim, "Inter-andIntra-leverageAnalyses for Large Firms in the United States and Korea," Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, Vol.10, No.1, pp.34-64, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/10599230802711480
- R. Aggarwal, "International Differences in Capital Structure Norms: An Empirical Study of Large European Companies," Management International Review, Vol.27, pp.75-88, 1981.
- D. Choi, Hankuk Chaebol Yeungu, Mail Kyeongje Shinmun Sa, Seoul, 1991.
- S. Chang, Financial Crisisand Transformation of Korean Business Group, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- E. Fama and K. French, "Size Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, Vol.50, No.1, pp.131-155, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb05169.x
- C. Kim, Business Analysis, Myung-gyeong Sa, Seoul, 2012.
- H. Kim, "Financial Leverage of Korean Business Conglomerates "Chaebols" in the Post-Asian Financial Crisis," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.12, No.2, pp.699-711, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.2.699
- H. Kim, "Determinants of Leverage for Manufacturing Firms Listed in the KOSDAQ Stock Market," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.5, pp.2096-2109, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2096
- H. Kim, "A Review on the Contemporary Changes of Capital Structures for the Firms belonging to the Korean Chaebols," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.1, pp.1-16, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.1
- H. Kim and P. Berger, "The Management Characteristics of Korean Chaebols vs. non-Chaebols: Differences in Leverage and Its Ramifications: Myth or Reality?," Advances In Management, Vol.2, No.2, pp.26-35, 2009.
- H. Kim, "A Review on the Financial Profile of Profitability for the KOSDAQ Listed Firms Headquartered in 'Chungcheong' Province in the Republic of Korea," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.11, pp.1-16, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.1
- J. Kim and C. Ham, "An Empirical Study on the Characteristic of Financial Structure in Chungbuk Regional Firms," Hoegye-Yeongu, Vol.10, No.2, pp.355-377, 2005.
- D. Park, J. Yun, and B. Cho, "A Research on the Determinants of Investment of Chaebol Firms," The Korean Journal of Financial Management, Vol.26, pp.35-61, 2009.
- Investigations on the Financial Determinants of Profitability for Korean Chaebol Firms by applying Conditional Quantile Regression (CQR) Model vol.14, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.12.973
- Searching for Growth Engine: For the Firms Belonging to the Chaebol in the Korean Capital Markets vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7134