- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Clinical Evaluation of Halitosis Patients in Korea
- Kim, Min-Jae (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kang, Soo-Kyung (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chun, Yang-Hyun (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Hong, Jung-Pyo (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Auh, Q-Schick (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2014.04.04
- Accepted : 2014.05.09
- Published : 2014.06.30
Purpose: This study was designed to evaluate the sex and age differences in the Korean oral malodor patients. Methods: Subjects were the patients with oral malodor (male, 2,239; female, 3,496) visited the Department of Oral Medicine, Kyung Hee University Dental Hospital from January 2007 to December 2012 were recruited to this study and measured the volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) in the oral cavity with Halimeter. Results: There were slightly more female than male (female : male=3 : 2), and the mean values of Halimeter result were 65.79 ppb (female) and 79.94 ppb (male), which was more higher in male. Total patients showed normal age distribution in both gender, and the peak was the age of 26-35 in female, the age of 36-45 in male. The percentages of pseudo-halitosis were 74.7% in female and 69.3% in male, which was more higher in female. Conclusions: Therefore, it was revealed that women are more likely to have oral malodor than men, and there was a difference in the largest age group between men and women. Also women had more pseudo-halitosis patient than men.
- Bornstein MM, Kislig K, Hoti BB, Seemann R, Lussi A. Prevalence of halitosis in the population of the city of Bern, Switzerland: a study comparing self-reported and clinical data. Eur J Oral Sci 2009;117:261-267. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2009.00630.x
- Rosing CK, Loesche W. Halitosis: an overview of epidemiology, etiology and clinical management. Braz Oral Res 2011;25:466-471. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242011000500015
- Tonzetich J. Production and origin of oral malodor: a review of mechanisms and methods of analysis. J Periodontol 1977;48:13-20. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199
- Rosenberg M. Bad breath, diagnosis and treatment. Univ Tor Dent J 1990;3:7-11.
- Tonzetich J. Oral malodour: an indicator of health status and oral cleanliness. Int Dent J 1978;28:309-319.
- van Steenberghe D. Breath malodor. Curr Opin Periodontol 1997;4:137-143.
- Youngnak-Piboonratanakit P, Vachirarojpisan T. Prevalence of self-perceived oral malodor in a group of thai dental patients. J Dent (Tehran) 2010;7:196-204.
- Rayman S, Almas K. Halitosis among racially diverse populations: an update. Int J Dent Hyg 2008;6:2-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2007.00274.x
- Cortelli JR, Barbosa MD, Westphal MA. Halitosis: a review of associated factors and therapeutic approach. Braz Oral Res 2008;22(Suppl 1):44-54.
- Bosy A. Oral malodor: philosophical and practical aspects. J Can Dent Assoc 1997;63:196-201.
- Brunette DM, Proskin HM, Nelson BJ. The effects of dentifrice systems on oral malodor. J Clin Dent 1998;9:76-82.
- Quirynen M, Dadamio J, Van den Velde S, et al. Characteristics of 2000 patients who visited a halitosis clinic. J Clin Periodontol 2009;36:970-975. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2009.01478.x
- Al-Ansari JM, Boodai H, Al-Sumait N, Al-Khabbaz AK, Al-Shammari KF, Salako N. Factors associated with self-reported halitosis in Kuwaiti patients. J Dent 2006;34:444-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2005.10.002
- Tessier JF, Kulkarni GV. Bad breath: etiology, diagnosis and treatment. Oral Health 1991;81:19-22, 24.
- Yaegaki K, Sanada K. Effects of a two-phase oil-water mouthwash on halitosis. Clin Prev Dent 1992;14:5-9.
- Miyazaki H, Sakao S, Katoh Y, Takehara T. Correlation between volatile sulphur compounds and certain oral health measurements in the general population. J Periodontol 1995;66:679-684. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.529
- Loesche WJ, Kazor C. Microbiology and treatment of halitosis. Periodontol 2000 2002;28:256-279.
- ADA Council on Scientific Affairs. Oral malodor. J Am Dent Assoc 2003;134:209-214. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0135
- Iwanicka-Grzegorek E, Michalik J, Kepa J, Wierzbicka M, Aleksinski M, Pierzynowska E. Subjective patients' opinion and evaluation of halitosis using halimeter and organoleptic scores. Oral Dis 2005;11(Suppl 1):86-88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01101.x
- Park MS, Kim YG, Jung SC, Lee SW. Epidemiologic study on oral malodor for Korean. Korean J Oral Med 2001;26:107-114.
- Yaegaki K, Coil JM. Examination, classification, and treatment of halitosis; clinical perspectives. J Can Dent Assoc 2000;66:257-261.
- Vandekerckhove B, Quirynen M, van Steenberghe D. An inventory study on a randomized group of 1000 patients visiting a multidisciplinary breath odor clinic at a university hospital. Oral Dis 2005;11(Suppl 1):98-99.
- Pruet CW, Duplan DA. Tonsil concretions and tonsilloliths. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 1987;20:305-309.
- Seemann R, Bizhang M, Djamchidi C, Kage A, Nachnani S. The proportion of pseudo-halitosis patients in a multidisciplinary breath malodour consultation. Int Dent J 2006;56:77-81.
- Morita M, Wang HL. Relationship between sulcular sulfide level and oral malodor in subjects with periodontal disease. J Periodontol 2001;72:79-84. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2001.72.1.79
- Rosenberg M, Leib E. Experiences of an Israeli malodor clinic. In: Rosenberg M, ed. Bad breath: research perspectives. Tel-Aviv: Ramot Publishing; 1995. pp. 137-148.
- Nadanovsky P, Carvalho LB, Ponce de Leon A. Oral malodour and its association with age and sex in a general population in Brazil. Oral Dis 2007;13:105-109. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01257.x
- Settineri S, Mento C, Gugliotta SC, et al. Self-reported halitosis and emotional state: impact on oral conditions and treatments. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2010;8:34. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-34
- Paradowska A, Marczewski B, Pawlowska-Cierniak E. Self-perception of halitosis among students of Wroclaw Medical University. Adv Clin Exp Med 2007;16:543-548.
- Almas K, Al-Hawish A, Al-Khamis W. Oral hygiene practices, smoking habit, and self-perceived oral malodor among dental students. J Contemp Dent Pract 2003;4:77-90.
- Nalcaci R, Baran I. Factors associated with self-reported halitosis (SRH) and perceived taste disturbance (PTD) in elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2008;46:307-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2007.05.004
- Hughes FJ, McNab R. Oral malodour--a review. Arch Oral Biol 2008;53(Suppl 1):S1-S7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(08)70002-5
- Dal Rio AC, Nicola EM, Teixeira AR. Halitosis--an assessment protocol proposal. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2007;73:835-842.
- A comparative study of the effects of intra and extra circumoral exercise for older people on oral health at nursing homes: a non-equivalent trial vol.72, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12982