- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Anti-amnesic Effect of Eriobotrya japonica Leaf Extract on Scopolamine-induced Memory Impairment in Rats
Scopolamine으로 유도된 기억력 손상 동물모델에서 비파엽 추출물의 학습 및 기억력 개선 효과
- Bae, Donghyuck (Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research) ;
- Kim, Jihye (Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research) ;
- Na, Ju-Ryun (Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research) ;
- Kim, Yujin (Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research) ;
- Lee, Joon-Yeol (Korea INS Pharm Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sunoh (Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research)
- 배동혁 (전라남도 천연자원연구원) ;
- 김지혜 (전라남도 천연자원연구원) ;
- 나주련 (전라남도 천연자원연구원) ;
- 김유진 (전라남도 천연자원연구원) ;
- 이준열 (한국인스팜(주) 중앙연구소) ;
- 김선오 (전라남도 천연자원연구원)
- Received : 2014.02.11
- Accepted : 2014.02.28
- Published : 2014.06.30
The present study was conducted to evaluate the effects of extract from Eriobotrya japonica leaves (EJE) on cognitive impairment induced by scopolamine, a muscarinic antagonist, in rats. Scopolamine injection (1 mg/kg, i.p.) impaired performance in rats in the passive avoidance test as well as in water maze test and severely reduced cholinergic system reactivity, as indicated by reduced acetylcholine levels and increased acetylcholinesterase activity. Daily administration of EJE significantly increased step-through latency in the passive avoidance test, reduced escape latency, and increased time spent in the platform quadrant in the Morris water maze test. EJE protected against scopolamine-induced cholinergic system deficit, including reduced acetylcholine levels and increased acetylcholinesterase activity in whole brain homogenates. These results suggest that EJE provides a significant anti-amnesic effect against scopolamine-induced cholinergic system deficits and cognitive impairment.
Supported by : 한국산업기술진흥원
- Walsh DM, Selkoe DJ. 2004. Deciphering the molecular basis of memory failure in Alzheimer' disease. Neuron 44:181-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2004.09.010
Huang HC, Jiang ZF. 2009. Accumulated amyloid-
$\beta$peptide and hyperphosphorylated tau protein: relationship and links in Alzheimer' disease. J Alzheimers Dis 16: 15-27. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2009-0960
- Becker R, Giacobini E, Elble R, McIlhany M, Sherman K. 1988. Potential pharmacotherapy of Alzheimer disease. A comparison of various forms of physostigmine administration. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 116: 19-32.
- Rockwood K. 2011. Biomarkers to measure treatment effects in Alzheimer' disease: what should we look for? Int J Alzheimer's Dis doi: 10.4061/2011/598175. https://doi.org/10.4061/2011/598175
- Alikatte KL, Akondi BR, Yerragunta VG, Verragunta PR, Palle S. 2012. Antiamnesic activity of Syzygium cumini against scopolamine induced spatial memory impairments in rats. Brain Dev 34: 844-851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.braindev.2012.02.008
- Oh JH, Choi BJ, Chang MS, Park SK. 2009. Nelumbo nucifera semen extract improves memory in rats with scopolamine- induced amnesia through the induction of choline acetyltransferase expression. Neurosci Lett 461: 41-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2009.05.045
- Haycock JW, Gold PE, Macri J, McGaugh JL. 1973. Noncontingent footshock attenuation of retrograde amnesia: a generalization effect. Physiol Behav 11: 99-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(73)90129-7
- Ghoneim MM, Mewaldt SP. 1977. Studies on human memory: the interactions of diazepam, scopolamine, and physostigmine. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 52: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00426592
- Shih CC, Lin CH, Wu JB. 2010. Eriobotrya japonica improves hyperlipidemia and reverses insulin resistance in high-fat-fed mice. Phytother Res 24: 1769-1780. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.3143
- Lee CH, Wu SL, Chen JC, Li CC, Lo HY, Cheng WY, Lin JG, Chang YH, Hsiang CY, Ho TY. 2007. Eriobotrya japonica leaf and its triterpenes inhibited lipopolysaccharideinduced cytokines and inducible enzyme production via the nuclear factor-kappaB signaling pathway in lung epithelial cells. Am J Chin Med 36: 1185-1198.
- Namba T. 1994. The encyclopedia of Wakan-Yaku (traditional Sino-Japanese medicines) with color pictures. Hoikusha Publishing Co., Osaka, Japan. Vol 2, p 80-82.
- Zhu YP. 1998. Chinese materia medica. Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, Netherlands. p 508-509.
- De Tommasi N, De Simone F, Cirino G, Cicala C, Pizza C. 1991. Hypoglycemic effects of sesquiterpene glycosides and polyhydroxylated triterpenoids of Eriobotrya japonica. Planta Med 57: 414-416. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-960137
- Ito H, Kobayashi E, Takamatsu Y, Li SH, Hatano T, Sakagami H, Kusama K, Satoh K, Sugita D, Shimura S, Itoh Y, Yoshida T. 2000. Polyphenols from Eriobotrya japonica and their cytotoxicity against human oral tumor cell lines. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 48: 687-693. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.48.687
- Shimizu M, Fukumura H, Tsuji H, Tanaami S, Hayashi T, Morita N. 1986. Antiinflammatory constituents of topically applied crude drugs. I. Constituents and anti-inflammatory effect of Eriobotrya japonica LINDL. Chem Pharm Bull(Tokyo) 34: 2614-2617. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.34.2614
Kim MJ, Lee J, Seong AR, Lee YH, Kim YJ, Baek HY, Kim YJ, Jun WJ, Yoon HG. 2011. Neuroprotective effects of Eribotrya japonica against
$\beta$-amyloid-induced oxidative stress and memory impairment. Food Chem Toxicol 49:780-784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.11.043
- Morris R. 1984. Developments of water-maze procedure for studying spatial learning in the rat. J Neurosci Methods 11:47-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0270(84)90007-4
- Kim MJ, Choi SJ, Lim ST, Kim HK, Kim YJ, Yoon HG, Shin DH. 2008. Zeatin supplement improves scopolamineinduced memory impairment in mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72: 577-581. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.70480
- Ogawa N, Hirose Y, Ohara S, Ono T, Watanabe Y. 1985. A simple quantitative bradykinesia test in MPTP-treated mice. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol 50: 435-441.
- Vincent D, Segonzac G, Vincent MC. 1958. Colorimetric determination of acetylcholine by the Hestrin hydroxylamine reaction and its application in pharmacy. Ann Pharm Fr 16: 179-185.
- Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres V Jr, Feather-Stone RM. 1961. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 7: 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(61)90145-9
- Barnes CA, Danysz W, Parsons CG. 1996. Effects of the uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist memantine on hippocampal long-term potentiation, short-term exploratory modulation spatial memory in awake, freely moving rats. Eur J Neurosci 8: 565-571. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.1996.tb01241.x
- Blokland A. 2005. Scopolamine-induced deficits in cognitive performance: a review of animal studies. Scopolamine Rev 1-76.
- Sakaguchi M, Koseki M, Wakamatsu M, Matsumura E. 2003. Effects of beta-casomorphin-5 on passive avoidance response in mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67: 2501-2504. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.67.2501
- LeDoux JE. 1993. Emotional memory systems in the brain. Behav Brain Res 58: 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4328(93)90091-4
- Poorheidari G, Stanhope KJ, Pratt JA. 1998. Effects of the potassium channel blockers, apamin and 4-aminopyridine, on scopolamine-induced deficits in the delayed matching to position task in rats: a comparison with the cholinesterase inhibitor E2020. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 135: 242-255. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002130050506
- Stanhope KJ, McLenachan A, Dourish CT. 1995. Dissociation between cognitive and motor/motivational deficits in the delayed matching to position test: effects of scopolamine, 8-OH-DPAT and EAA antagonists. Psychopharmacology 122: 268-280. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02246548
- Whishaw IQ, Li K, Whishw PA, Gorny B, Metz GA. 2008. Use of rotarod as a method for the qualitative analysis of walking in rat. J Vis Exp 22: 1030.
- Davies P, Maloney AJF. 1976. Selective loss of central cholinergic neurons in Alzheimer' disease. Lancet 2: 1403.
- Ballard CG, Greig NH, Guillozet-Bongaarts AL, Enz A, Darvesh S. 2005. Cholinesterases: roles in the brain during health and disease. Curr Alzheimer Res 2: 307-338. https://doi.org/10.2174/1567205054367838
- Bartus RT. 2000. On neurodegenerative diseases, models, and treatment strategies: lessons learned and lessons forgotten a generation following the cholinergic hypothesis. Exp Neurol 163: 495-529. https://doi.org/10.1006/exnr.2000.7397
- Anti-Obesity Effect of Eriobotrya japonica Leaves Extract on Obese Mice Induced by High-Fat Diet vol.45, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.8.1202
- Improvement Effect of Stachys sieboldii MIQ. According to Mixing Ratio of Calcium on Memory Impairment in Scopolamine-induced Dementia Rats vol.26, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2016.26.7.812