- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Inhibitory Effects of Allium sacculiferum Max. Methanol Extracts on ROS Production and Lipid Accumulation during Differentiation of 3T3-L1 Cells
참산부추(Allium sacculiferum Max.) 메탄올 추출물의 지방세포 내 ROS 생성 및 지질 축적 억제 효능
- Choi, Hye-Young (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Kim, Gun-Hee (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University)
- Received : 2014.02.14
- Accepted : 2014.04.07
- Published : 2014.06.30
Allium sacculiferum Max. (ASM) is a perennial plant of the Liliaceae family and grows over the entire regions of Korea. Obesity is a serious health problem worldwide and has currently become a prevalent chronic disease. Adipocytes produced by preadipocyte differentiation during adipogenesis and adipocytes combined with abnormal accumulation cause obesity. Recently, intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) were shown to accelerate lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells. In this study, we investigated the effects of ASM methanol extracts on ROS production and lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Our results indicate that the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging activity of ASM methanol extracts increased in a dose-dependent manner. ASM methanol extracts suppressed ROS production and lipid accumulation during adipogenesis. In addition, ASM methanol extracts inhibited the mRNA expression of both pro-oxidant enzymes such as glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase as well as the transcription factors, including sterol regulatory element-binding proteins 1c, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor
Supported by : 덕성여자대학교
- Steiner RP. 1986. Folk medicine: the art and the science. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA. p 125-137.
- Scharfenberg K, Wagner R, Wagner KG. 1990. The cytotoxic effect of ajoene, a natural product from garlic, investigated with different cell lines. Cancer Lett 53: 103-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(90)90201-8
- Korea National Arboretum. 1997. Illustrated rare and endangered species in Korea. Korea National Arboretum, Seoul, Korea. p 37.
- Kim TJ. 1998. Korea plants V. Seoul University Press, Seoul, Korea. p 150.
- Kim OM, Kim MK, Lee SO, Kee KR, Kim SD. 1998. Antimicrobial effect of ethanol extracts from spices against Lactobacillus plantarum and Leuconostoc mesenteroides isolated from kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 455-460.
- Hopia A, Heinonen M. 1999. Antioxidant activity of flavonol aglycones and their glycosides in methyl linoleate. J Am Oil Chem Soc 76: 139-144. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-999-0060-0
- Kim MJ, Song YS, Song YO. 1998. The fibrinolytic activity of kimchi and its ingredients in vivo and in vitro. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 169-182.
- Kim HP, Mani I, Iversen L, Ziboh VA. 1998. Effects of naturally-occurring flavonoids and biflavonoids on epidermal cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase from guinea-pigs. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 58: 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-3278(98)90125-9
- Visscher TL, Seidell JC. 2001. The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Public Health 22: 355-375. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.22.1.355
- Spiegelman BM, Flier JS. 2001. Obesity and the regulation of energy balance. Cell 104: 531-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00240-9
- Rosen ED, Walkey CJ, Puigserver P, Spiegelman BM. 2000. Transcriptional regulation of adipogenesis. Genes Dev 14:1293-1307.
- Morrison RF, Farmer SR. 2000. Hormonal signaling and transcriptional control of adipocyte differentiation. J Nutr 130: 3116S-3121S.
- Ntambi JM, Kim YC. 2000. Adipocyte differentiation and gene expression. J Nutr 130: 3122S-3126S.
Lee OH, Seo MJ, Choi HS, Lee BY. 2012.
$Pycnogenol(R)$inhibits lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes with the modulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) production associated with antioxidant enzyme responses. Phytother Res 26: 403-411.
- Seo MJ, Choi HS, Lee OH, Lee BY. 2013. Grateloupia lanceolata (Okamura) Kawaguchi, the edible red seaweed, inhibits lipid accumulation and reactive oxygen species production during differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells. Phytother Res 27: 655-663. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.4765
- Lee OH, Kwon YI, Hong HD, Park CS, Lee BY, Kim YC. 2009. Production of reactive oxygen species and changes in antioxidant enzyme activities during differentiation of 3T3-L1 adipocyte. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 52: 70-75. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.012
- Halliwell B. 1996. Antioxidants in human health and disease. Annu Rev Nutr 16: 33-50. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.16.070196.000341
- Yamashita A, Soga Y, Iwamoto Y, Asano T, Li Y, Abiko Y, Nishimura F. 2008. DNA microarray analyses of genes expressed differentially in 3T3-L1 adipocytes co-cultured with murine macrophage cell line RAW264.7 in the presence of the toll-like receptor 4 ligand bacterial endotoxin. Int J Obes (Lond) 32: 1725-1729. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.153
- Kwon GH, Choi DS, Wang MH. 2007. Biological activities of hot water extracts from Enoymus alatus leaf. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 569-574.
- Yang YR, Park YK. 2011. Comparison of antioxidant activities of black onion extracts. Korean J Food Preserv 18:954-960. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.954
- Furukawa S, Fujita T, Shimabukuro M, Iwaki M, Yamada Y, Nakajima Y, Nakayama O, Makishima M, Matsuda M, Shimomura I. 2004. Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 114:1752-1761. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI21625
- Park J, Rho HK, Kim KH, Choe SS, Lee YS, Kim JB. 2005. Overexpression of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase is associated with lipid dysregulation and insulin resistance in obesity. Mol Cell Biol 25: 5146-5157. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.25.12.5146-5157.2005
- Mouche S, Mkaddem SB, Wang W, Katic M, Tseng YH, Carnesecchi S, Steger K, Foti M, Meier CA, Muzzin P, Kahn CR, Ogier-Denis E, Szanto I. 2007. Reduced expression of the NADPH oxidase NOX4 is a hallmark of adipocyte differentiation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1773: 1015-1027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2007.03.003
- Hwang J, Kleinhenz DJ, Lassègue B, Griendling KK, Dikalov S, Hart CM. 2005. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma ligands regulate endothelial membrane superoxide production. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288: C899-905 https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00370.2004
- Hafiz MS, Arslan MI, Banarjee S, Obaidullah M. 2004. Studies on serum triglyceride level in patients with myocardial infarction. Mymensingh Med J 13: 185-187.
- Labreuche J, Touboul PJ, Amarenco P. 2009. Plasma triglyceride levels and risk of stroke and carotid atherosclerosis: a systematic review of the epidemiological studies. Atherosclerosis 203: 331-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.08.040
- Cowherd RM, Lyle RE, McGehee RE Jr. 1999. Molecular regulation of adipocyte differentiation. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10: 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1006/scdb.1998.0276
- Park MJ. 2005. Recent advances in regulating energy homeostasis and obesity. Korean J Pediatr 48: 126-137.
- Hauser S, Adelmant G, Sarraf P, Wright HM, Mueller E, Spiegelman BM. 2000. Degradation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma is linked to ligand-dependent activation. J Biol Chem 275: 18527-18533. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M001297200
- Ohshima T, Koga H, Shimotohno K. 2004. Transcriptional activity of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma is modulated by SUMO-1 modification. J Biol Chem 279: 29551-29557. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M403866200
- Darlington GJ, Ross SE, MacDougald OA. 1998. The role of C/EBP genes in adipocyte differentiation. J Biol Chem 273: 30057-30060 https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.46.30057
- Lee H, Lee YJ, Choi H, Ko EH, Kim JW. 2009. Reactive oxygen species facilitate adipocyte differentiation by accelerating mitotic clonal expansion. J Biol Chem 284: 10601-10609. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M808742200
- Ethanol Extract of Hippophae Rhamnoides L. Leaves Inhibits Adipogenesis through AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) Activation in 3T3-L1 Preadipocytes vol.28, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2015.28.5.582