- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Preparation and Characteristics of Low-salt Soy Sauce with Anti-hypertensive Activity by Addition of Miduduk Tunic, Mulberry, and Onion Extracts
미더덕 껍질, 뽕잎, 양파 추출물을 첨가한 항고혈압 저염간장의 제조 및 특성
- Shin, Yu-Jin (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Kwon (Mongo Foods Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Jin (Sungsim Master Food) ;
- Kim, Hyoun-Sung (Mongo Foods Co., Ltd.) ;
- Seo, Han-Geuk (Dept. of Animal Biotechnology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Cheol (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University)
- 신유진 (경남대학교 식품생명학과) ;
- 이창권 (몽고식품(주)) ;
- 김현진 ((주)성심마스타푸드) ;
- 김현승 (몽고식품(주)) ;
- 서한극 (건국대학교 동물생명공학과) ;
- 이승철 (경남대학교 식품생명학과)
- Received : 2014.02.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.02
- Published : 2014.06.30
Extracts of Styela clava (Korean name: miduduk) tunic, mulberry, and onion were selected by pre-screening to develop low-salt soy sauce (12% salt content) with anti-hypertensive activity. After choosing the formula for low-salt soy sauce, extracts were added separately or by mixture in combination. In the case of anti-hypertensive activity, low-salt soy sauce containing extracts of miduduk tunic and onion showed 30% increased inhibitory activity towards angiotensin I converting enzyme, compared to normal salt soy sauce (15% salt content). Addition of extracts also significantly increased DPPH radical scavenging activities of the soy sauces. These results suggest that natural resources such as miduduk tunic, mulberry, and/or onion might be potential candidates for development of low-salt soy sauce with anti-hypertensive activity.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Cambien F, Chretien JM, Ducimetiere P, Guize L, Richard JL. 1985. Is the relationship between blood pressure and cardiovascular risk dependent on body mass index? Am J Epidemiol 122: 434-442. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114124
- Weinberger MH. 1987. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors in the treatment of hypertension: Efficacy, metabolic effects and side effect. Cardiovasc Drug Ther 1: 9-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02125828
- Doyle AE. 1984. Handbook of hypertension: Clinical pharmacology of antihypertensive drug. 1st ed. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Vol 5, p 246-271.
- Lee JK, Jeon JK, Byun HG. 2011. Effect of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptide purified from skate skin hydrolysate. Food Chem 125: 495-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.09.039
- Zhao Y, Li B, Liu Z, Dong S, Zhao X, Zeng M. 2007. Antihypertensive effect and purification of an ACE inhibitory peptide from sea cucumber gelatin hydrolysate. Process Biochem 42: 1586-1591. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2007.08.011
- Nakamura Y, Yamamoto N, Sakai K, Okubo A, Yamazaki S, Takano T. 1995. Purification and characterization of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitors from sour milk. J Dairy Sci 78: 777-783. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76689-9
- Suetsuna K. 1998. Isolation and characterization of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor dipeptides derived from Allium sativum L. (garlic). J Nutr Biochem 9: 415-419. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(98)00036-9
- Kwon YI, Apostolidis E, Shetty K. 2008. In vitro studies of eggplant (Solanum melongena) phenolics as inhibitors of key enzymes relevant for type 2 diabetes and hypertension. Bioresour Technol 99: 2981-2298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.035
- Jung SY, Lim JS, Song HS. 2012. Alcohol dehydrogenase activity and sensory evaluation of hutgae (Hovenia dulcis Thunb) fruit soy sauce. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 747-754. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.747
- Won SB, Song HS. 2013. Antioxidant activity and sensory evaluation in soy sauce with fruit, stem, or twig of Hovenia dulcis Thunb. Korean J Food & Nutr 26: 258-265. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.2.258
- Song HS. 2012. Sensory evaluation of cheongmirae (Smilax china) root extract for soy sauce development. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 1086-1091. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.1086
- Chung MJ, Jo JS, Kim HJ, Sung NJ. 2001. The components of the fermented soy sauce from gorosoe and bamboos sap. Korean J Food & Nutr 14: 167-174.
- Shin JH, Kang MJ, Yang SM, Lee SJ, Ryu JH, Kim RJ, Sung NJ. 2010. Composition of physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities. J Agric Life Sci 44: 39-48.
- Na down Oondongbonbu. www.foodnara.go.kr/Na_down(accessed Feb 2014).
- KFDA. Food Codex. http://fse.foodnara.go.kr/residue/RS/jsp/menu_02_01_01.jsp (accessed May 2014).
- Cushman DW, Cheung HS. 1971. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem Pharmacol 20: 1637-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9
- Jeong SM, Kim SY, Park HR, Lee SC. 2004. Effect of far-infrared radiation on the activity of extracts from Citrus unshiu peels. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 1580-1583. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.9.1580
- Jeong DH. 2006. Soybean fermentation food. Hongikjae Press, Seoul, Korea. p 392.
- Corvol P, Michaud A, Soubrier F, Williams TA. 1995. Recent advances in knowledge of the structure and function of the angiotensin I converting enzyme. J Hypertens Suppl 13: S3-S10. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-199509003-00002
- Lee DW, You DH, Yang EK, Jang IC, Bae MS, Jeon YJ, Kim SJ, Lee SC. 2010. Antioxidant and ACE inhibitory activities of Styela clava according to harvesting time. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 331-336. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.331
- Jung ES, Park EJ, Park HR, Lee SC. 2008. Antioxidant activities of extracts from parts of Styela clava. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1674-1678. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1674
Yang NC, Jhou KY, Tseng CY. 2012. Antihypertensive effect of mulberry leaf aqueous extract containing
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid in spontaneously hypertensive rat. Food Chem 132: 1796-1801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.11.143
- Duarte J, Perez-Palencia R, Vargas F, Ocete MA, Perez-Vizcaino F, Zarzuelo A, Tamargo J. 2001. Antihypertensive effects of the flavonoid quercetin in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Br J Pharmacol 133: 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0704064
- Grande MT, Pascual G, Riolobos AS, Clemente-Lorenzo M, Bardaji B, Barreiro L, Tornavaca O, Meseguer A, Lopez-Novoa JM. 2011. Increased oxidative stress, the rennin-angiotensin system, and sympathetic overactivation induce hypertension in kidney androgen-regulated protein transgenic mice. Free Radical Biol Med 51: 1831-1841. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2011.08.014
- Yang SJ. 2006. Effects of antioxidant vitamins & minerals supplementation on blood pressure and lipids in the elderly with hypertension. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 17: 461-471.
- Katsube T, Imawaka N, Kawano Y, Yamazaki Y, Shiwaku K, Yamane Y. 2006. Antioxidant flavonol glycosides in mulberry (Morus alba L.) leaves isolated based on LDL antioxidant activity. Food Chem 97: 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.03.019
- Ra KS, Suh HJ, Chung SH, Son JY. 1997. Antioxidant activity of solvent extract from onion skin. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 595-600.
- Formica JV, Regelson W. 1995. Review of the biology of quercetin and related bioflavonoids. Food Chem Toxicol 33:1061-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6915(95)00077-1
- Antioxidant Activity of Korean Traditional Soy Sauce Fermented in Korean Earthenware, Onggi, from Different Regions vol.44, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.6.847
- Antioxidant and Antihypertensive Activities of Solvent Extract from Styela clava Tunic, Fishery Waste vol.24, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.7.917
- Effect of Mulberry Extract on the Lipid Profile and Liver Function in Mice Fed a High Fat Diet vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.3.411
- Antioxidant Activity of Korean Traditional Soy Sauce vol.44, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.9.1399
- Preparation of Fermented Sauces with Increased ACE Inhibitory and Antioxidative Activities vol.44, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1538
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Soy Sauce with Added Levels of Black Garlic Extract vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.2.188
- Soysauce Production Using Bacterial-Koji Mixed with Seed-soysauce Starter and the Effects of Salts on the Characteristics of the Soysauce vol.29, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2018.29.3.333