- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Quality Factors of Freshness and Palatability of Onion by Cultivation Region and Variety
재배지역과 품종에 따른 양파의 맛 관련 품질인자 설정
- Jeon, Hyeonjin (Functional Materials Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Byungsam (Functional Materials Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Sanghoon (Functional Materials Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Yoonsook (Functional Materials Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.02.20
- Accepted : 2014.04.03
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between quality factors and palatability of onion by cultivation region and variety. Six onion varieties harvested in four regions were subjected to physicochemical, microbiological, and sensorial evaluation. There were differences in soluble solid content, color, vitamin C, quercetin, total polyphenol, and pyruvic acid contents among the varieties and cultivation regions. Dry weight and pH of onions did not significantly differ. Overall acceptability and palatability did not show any significant differences by variety. From the correlation and regression analysis, palatability was very closely related to
- Lee HY, Jeong EJ, Jeon SY, Cha YJ. 2008. Comparison of volatile flavor compounds of domestic onions (Allium cepa) using storage. J Life Sci 18: 1712-1717. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.12.1712
- Park ER, Ko CN, Kim SH, Kim KS. 2001. Analysis of volatile organic components from fresh and decayed onions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1011-1020.
- Lee EJ, Suh JK. 2009. Pyruvic acid content according to different portions in onion (Allium cepa L.). Korean J Food Preserv 16: 82-86.
- Lee KH, Kim DH. 2009. A study on the shelf-life extension of fresh-cut onion (Allium cepa L.). J Fd Hyg Safety 24:324-331.
- Kwon JH, Lee GD, Byun MW. 1999. Quality changes based on storage temperature and humidity of onion. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 143-147.
- Hong SI, Son SM, Chung MS, Kim D. 2003. Storage quality of minimally processed onions as affected by seal-packaging methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 1110-1116.
- Hong SI, Lee HH, Son SM, Kim D. 2004. Effect of hot water treatment on storage quality of minimally processed onion. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 239-245.
- Jaime L, Martin-Cabrejas MA, Molla E, Lopez-Andreu FJ, Esteban RM. 2001. Effect of storage on fructan and fructooligosaccharide of onion (Allium cepa L.). J Agric Food Chem 49: 982-988. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000921t
- Lee HY, Jeong EJ, Jeon SY, Cho MS, Cho WJ, Kim HD, Cha YJ. 2008. Comparison of volatile flavor compounds of domestic onions harvested in various regions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1609-1614. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1609
- Korea Food Standards Codex. 2000. Korea Food Industry Association, Seoul, Korea. p 279-289.
- Amerinem MA, Ough CS. 1958. Method for analysis of musts and win. Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA. p 176-180.
- Schwimmer S, Weston WJ. 1961. Onion flavor and odor, enzymatic development of pyruvic acid in onion as measure of pungency. J Agric Food Chem 9: 301-304. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60116a018
- Rutherford PP, Whittle R. 1984. Methods predicting the long-term storage of onions. J Hortic Sci 59: 537-543. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221589.1984.11515229
- Crowther T, Collin HA, Smith B, Tomsett AB, O'Connor D, Jones MG. 2005. Assessment of the flavour of fresh uncooked onions by taste-panels and analysis of flavor precursors, pyruvate and sugars. J Sci Food Agric 85: 112-120. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1966
Kim MJ, Kim JH, Oh HK, Jang MJ, Kim SH. 2007. Seasonal variations of nutrients in Korean fruits and vegetables: Examining water, protein, lipid, ascorbic acid, and
$\beta$- carotene contents. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 423-432.
- Kang SK, Kim YD, Hyun KH, Kim YW, Song BH, Shin SC, Park YK. 1998. Development of separating techniques on quercetin-related substances in onion (Allium cepa L.). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 682-686.