- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Korean Pan-fried Food (Jeon) Added with Lactic-fermented Rice Flour
유산발효 쌀가루의 혼합비율에 따른 전(煎)의 품질특성
- Chang, Young-Eun (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jin-Sook (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hyun (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Mi (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Gi-Chang (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA)
- 장영은 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 김진숙 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 이지현 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 김경미 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 김기창 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부)
- Received : 2014.01.15
- Accepted : 2014.04.29
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was performed to investigate the effects of lactic-fermented rice flour on the quality characteristics of pan-fried food (Jeon). Pan-frying flour containing 5~20% lactic fermentation rice flour mixture was prepared. In rapid visco analyzer examination, peak viscosity, trough, final viscosity, breakdown, and setback of the lactic-fermented rice flour mixture were lower than those of rice flour or wheat flour. The L-value (lightness) of Jeon decreased with increasing the ratio of lactic-fermented rice flour. On the other hand, a-value (redness) and b-value (yellowness) increased with increasing ratio of lactic-fermented rice flour. Texture profiles showed that Jeon prepared with lactic-fermented rice flour mixture had higher springiness and gumminess than 100% rice flour. The oil absorptions of Jeon prepared with 100% rice flour and 20% lactic-fermented rice flour were 7.5% and 6.33%, respectively. For digestive properties, Jeon prepared with lactic-fermented rice mixture showed a greater amount of rapidly digestible starch and lower amount of slowly digestible starch. In the sensory evaluation, Jeon prepared with lactic-fermented rice mixture showed higher scores for appearance, flavor, and taste than others (rice flour and wheat flour). Especially, Jeon prepared with 10% lactic-fermented rice mixture showed the highest overall preference. In conclusion, the results demonstrate that lactic-fermented rice flour may prove quite useful as a pan-frying flour with desirable qualities properties.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Han JA. 2009. Digestive, physical and sensory properties of cookies made of dry-heated OSA-high amylose rice starch. Korean J Food Sci Technol 41: 668-672.
- Lee MK, Shin M. 2006. Characteristics of rice flours prepared by moisture-heat treatment. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22: 147-157.
- Shin M. 2010. Activation of the rice processing industry. Food Preservation and Processing Industry 9: 16-37.
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 2008. The strategies for promoting of rice processed foods. Press Release. Seoul, Korea.
- Jung DS, Lee FZ, Eun JB. 2002. Quality properties of bread made of wheat flour and black rice flour. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 232-237.
- Kee HJ, Lee ST, Park YK. 2000. Preparation and quality characteristics of Korean wheat noodles made of brown glutinous rice flour with and without aroma. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 799-805.
- Cho JH, Koh BK. 2003. A survey on the rice-based processed food consumption of the housewives at Daegu. Korean J Soc Food Sci 19: 300-307.
- Kum JS. 2010. Nutrition of rice and rice processed foods. Food Preservation and Processing Industry 9: 38-54.
- Song JY, Shin M. 2007. Effects of soaking and particle sizes on the properties of rice flour and gluten-free rice brad. Food Sci Biotechnol 16: 759-764.
- Pruska-Kedzior A, Kędzior Z, Gorący M, Pietrowska K, Przybylska A, Spychalska K. 2008. Comparison of rheological, fermentative and baking properties of gluten-free dough formulation. Eur Food Res Technol 227: 1523-1536. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-008-0875-1
- Blanco DA, Ronda F, Perez B, Pando V. 2011. Improving gluten free bread quality by enrichment with acidic food additives. Food Chem 127: 1204-1209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.01.127
- Choi BK, Kum JS, Lee HY, Park JD. 2005. Quality characteristics of rice cake (Backsulki) according to milling type and particle size. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 230-234.
- Kim RY, Kim CS, Kim HI. 2009. Physicochemical properties of non-waxy rice flour affected by grinding methods and steeping times. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1076-1083. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.8.1076
- Lee SH, Shin M. 2009. Characteristics of preparation of rice manju and rice flours with soaking and different particle sizes. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 427-434.
- Kim HY, Lee BY, You HS, Ham SS. 1999. Milling and rice flour properties of tempering condition on moisture content of rice. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 76-80.
- Juliano BO. 1985. Criteria and tests for rice grain qualities. In Rice Chemistry and Technology. The American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. p 443-524.
- Shin MS. 2009. Rice-processed food. Food Sci Industry 42:2-18.
- Kum JS. 1998. Effects of amylose content on quality of rice bread. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 590-595.
- Lee JJ. 1985. A study on the changes of food habit for Seoul residents. MS Thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jang EJ, Lee YK, Lee HG. 1996. The study for consciousness, dietary life behaviors on Korean traditional food. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 179-206.
- Chang MJ, Cho MS. 2000. Recognition and preference to Korean traditional food for foreign visitors in Korea. Korean J Dietary Culture 15: 215-223.
- Jung BM, Kim ES, Rhee KC. 2001. Physical and chemical properties of cornmeal extrudates by addition of defatted soy flour and squid. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 292-298.
- Lee JH. 1999. Survey obn food preference in Gyeongnam area. Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 338-352.
- Kim KJ, Cha EJ. 1994. Survey on utilization of pan-fried food items at institutional foodservice establishments in Pusan. Korean J Soc Food Sci 10: 309-314.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 8-35.
- Englyst HN, Kingman SM, Cummings JH. 1992. Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. Eur J Clin Nutr 46: S33-S50.
- Choi YH, Kim SB, Cho YS, Kim EM, Park SY, Kim TY. 2010. Physicochemical properties of rice flour by lactic acid fermentation. Korean J Community Living Science 21: 509-515.
- Lee YH, Kum JS, Ku KH, Chun HS, Kim WJ. 2001. Changes in chemical composition of glutinous rice during steeping and quality properties of Yukwa. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 737-744.
- Han XZ, Hamaker BR. 2001. Amylopectin fine structure and rice starch paste breakdown. J Cereal Sci 34: 279-284. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcrs.2001.0374
- Choi SI, Kim TJ, Park JH, Lim CS, Kim MY. 2011. Quality characteristics of frying mix added with brown rice fiber. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 27: 671-680. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.6.671
- Kim RY, Park JH, Kim CS. 2011. Effects of enzyme treatment in steeping process on physicochemical properties of wet-milled rice flour. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1300-1306. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1300
- Egawa K. 1992. Recipe and baking technology of rice flour for making bread. New Technol North Agric 5: 95-101.
- Park JD, Choi BK, Jum JS, Lee HY. 2006. Physicochemical properties of brown rice flours produced under different drying and milling conditions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38:495-500.
- Medcalf SL, Luned DB. 1985. Factors affecting water uptake in the milled rice. J Food Sci 50: 1674-1679.
- Choi EJ, Kim HS. 1997. Physicochemical and gelatinization properties of glutinous rice flour and starch steeped at different conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 17-24.
- Lee MJ. 2005. Utilization of starch to improve quality of deep-fat fried batter. MS Thesis. Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee JH, Shin ES, Kweon BM, Ryu HS, Jang DH. 2005. Optimizing ingredients mixing ratio of mungbean pancake. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1274-1283. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.8.1274
- Shin KS, Woo KJ. 1999. Changes in adding soybean on quality and surface structure of Korean rice cake (Jeung- Pyun). Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 249-257.
- Kim BS, Lee YE. 2009. Effect of cellulose derivatives to reduce the oil uptake of deep fat fried batter of pork cutlet. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 488-495.
- Moon SJ, Oh HS, Lee MH. 1996. Cooking characteristics of emulsifier-containing oil - Degree of oil absorption and spattering during cooking, and standard recipe for fried foods. Korean J Soc Food Sci 12: 99-107.
- Song TH, Yoo JH. 2009. Understanding food chemistry. Hyoilbooks press, Seoul, Korea. p 153-200.
- Sanz T, Salvador A, Fiszman SM. 2004. Effect of concentration and temperature on properties of methylcelluloseadded batters application to battered, fried seafood. Food Hydrocolloids 18: 127-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(03)00050-X
- Ahn MS. 2004. Food and cookery science. Shinkwang press, Seoul, Korea. p 167.
- Snow P, O'Dea K. 1981. Factors affecting the rate of hydrolysis of starch in foods. Am J Clin Nutr 34: 2721-2727.
- Holm J, Bjorck I, Ostrowska S, Eliasson AC, Asp NG, Larsson K, Lundquist I. 1983. Digestibility of amylose-lipid complexes in-vitro and in-vivo. Starch 35: 294-297. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19830350902
- Wursch P, Dal Vedovo S, Koellreuter B. 1986. Cell structure and starch nature as key determinants of the digestion rate of starch in legume. Am J Clin Nutr 43: 25-29.
- Heijnen MLA, Amelsvoort JMM, Deurenberg P, Beynen AC. 1998. Limited effect of consumption of uncooked (RS) or retrograded (RS3) resistant starch on putative risk factors for colon cancer in health men. Am J Clin Nutr 67: 322-331.
- Choi JS, Sohn KH. 1997. Physicochemical properties of modified rice powder for rice-based infant foods - Thermalenzymatic treatment on rice powder. Korean J Dietary Culture 12: 375-382.
- Quality characteristics and processing of rice cake (Backsulgi) with rice flour containing Lactobacillus plantarum CGKW3 by spray-drying vol.23, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.7.953
- Quality Characteristics of Gluten-free Frying Pre-mix with Insoluble Dietary Fiber Powder from Chinese Cabbage By-product vol.33, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.2.155
- Quality Characteristics of Premix Frying Powders supplemented with Egg White Powder vol.27, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.6.27.3.280