- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of High Acidity Apple Vinegar Manufactured Using Two Stage Fermentation
2단계 발효에 의한 고산도 사과식초의 품질특성
- Sung, Na-Hye (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Woo, Seung-Mi (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Keimyung University) ;
- Kwon, Joong-Ho (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Yeo, Soo-Hwan (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, Department of Agrofood Resources, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Jeong, Yong-Jin (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Keimyung University)
- 성나혜 (경북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 우승미 (계명대학교 식품가공학과) ;
- 권중호 (경북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 여수환 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부 발효이용과) ;
- 정용진 (계명대학교 식품가공학과)
- Received : 2013.09.02
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study investigated the manufacturing conditions of apple vinegar with high acetic acid content following fermentation according to alcohol concentration without any nutrients. We compared and analyzed the quality characteristics of high acetic acid fermentation by varying the initial alcohol content (6%, 7%, 8%, and 9%). In the results, it was possible to manufacture high acetic acid vinegar with 12% titratable acidity and an alcohol content of 6% and 7%. Lower initial alcohol content was associated with higher yield due to a shorter lag phase. For quality characteristics of the high acetic acid apple vinegar, pH was 2.91~3.20, titratable acidity was 12.0%, and organic acid consisted of acetic acid, malic acid, critic acid and oxalic acids. Based on the results, high acetic acid apple vinegar was produced using a two stage fermentation process after alcohol fermentation but the further research is needed to reduce the time of fermentation in fed-batch culture for industrial use.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Lee SJ, Jang HL, Shin SR, Yoon KY. 2012. Quality characteristics of apple juice according to the sterilization methods. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 178-184. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.178
- Choi YH, Lee SJ. 2005. A survey on uses, preference and recognition of apple. Korean J Food Culture 20: 204-213.
- Boyer J, Liu RH. 2004. Apple phytochemicals and their health benefits. Nutr J 3: 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-3-1
- Fruit Production 2012. http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do? mode=tab&orgId=101&tblId=DT_1ET0292&vw_cd=MT_ ZTITLE&list_id=F1H&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&o bj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE&path=%25 2FstatisticsList%252FstatisticsList_01List.jsp# (accessed Feb 2014).
- Cho HY, Cho EK, Kim BC, Shin HH. 2011. Development of semi-solid apple baby food using high pressure processing and quality evaluation. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 777-785. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.4.777
- Jeong YJ, Lee MH. 2000. A view and prospect of vinegar industry. Food Ind Nutr 5: 7-12.
- Yoon HN, Moon SY, Song SH. 1998. Volatile compounds and sensory odor properties of commercial vinegars. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 299-305.
- Koizumi Y, Uehara Y, Yanagida F. 1987. The general composition, inorganic cautions free amino acids and organic acid of special vinegars. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 34: 592-596. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.34.9_592
- Vogel RA, Corretti MC, Plotnick GD. 2000. The postprandial effect of components of the mediterranean diet on endothelial function. J Am Coll Cardiol 36: 1455-1460. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(00)00896-2
- Casale M, Sἁiz AMJ, Gonzἁlez SJM, Pizarro C, Forina M. 2006. Study of the aging and oxidation processes of vinegar samples from different origins during storage by near-infrared spectroscopy. Analy Chim Acta 557: 360-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2005.10.063
- Kim KJ, Bae YS, Lee SC, Lee WJ, Lee IK, Yoon YK, Lyu JS, Park HK, Ha WH. 1997. Influence of vinegar-drink with persimmon on oxygen transport function and recover capacity in exercise. Korean J Physical Education 36: 102-113.
- Kwon SH, Jeong EJ, Lee GD, Jeong YJ. 2000. Preparation method of fruit vinegars by two stage fermentation and beverage including vinegar. Food Ind Nutr 5: 18-24.
- KFDA. 2012. Korea Food Standard Code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Cheongwon, Korea. p 5-21.
- Jeong YJ. 2009. Current trends and future prospects in the Korean vinegar industry. Food Sci Ind 2: 52-59.
- Lee YC, Lee JH. 2000. A manufacturing process of highstrength vinegar. Food Ind Nutr 5: 13-17.
- Kang BH, Sin EJ, Lee SH, Lee DS, Hur SS, Sin KS, Kim SH, Son SM, Lee JM. 2011. Optimization of the acetic acid fermentation condition of apple juice. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 980-985. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.980
- Park KS, Chang DS, Cho HR, Park UY. 1994. Investigation of the cultural characteristics of high concentration ethanol resistant Acetobacter sp. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 23:666-670.
- Lee YC, Lee GY, Kim HC, Park KB, Yoo YJ, Ahn PU, Choi CU, Son SH. 1992. Production of high acetic acid vinegar using two stage fermentation. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 20: 663-667.
- Lee YC, Park MS, Kim HC, Park KB, Yoo YJ, Ahn IK, Son SH. 1993. Production of high acetic acid vinegar by single stage fed-batch culture. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 21: 511-512.
- Park HS. 2010. Characteristics of peach wine with different commercial yeast strains. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20:531-535.
- Woo SM, Jo YJ, Lee SW, Kwon JH, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ. 2012. Quality comparison of static culture and commercial brown rice vinegars. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 301-307. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.301
- Shin JS, Jeong YJ. 2003. Changes in the components of acetic acid fermentation of brown rice using raw starch digesting enzyme. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 381-387. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.3.381
- Kang SK, Jang MJ, Kim YD. 2006. Isolation and culture condition of Acetobacter sp. for the production of citron (Citrus junos) vinegar. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 357-362.
- Hong SM, Kang MJ, Lee JH, Jeong JH, Kwon SH, Seo KI. 2012. Production of vinegar using Rubus coreanus and its antioxidant activities. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 594-603. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.4.594
- Ko EJ, Hur SS, Choi YH. 1998. The establishment of optimum cultural conditions for manufacturing garlic vinegar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 102-108.
- Jang SY, Sin KA, Jeong YJ. 2010. Quality characteristics of apple vinegar by agitated and static cultures. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 308-312. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.308
- Jo DJ, Park EJ, Kim GR, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ, Kwon JH. 2012. Quality comparison of commercial cider vinegars by their acidity levels. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 699-703. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.699
- Seo JH, Lee GD, Jeong YJ. 2001. Optimization of the vinegar fermentation using concentrated apple juice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 460-465.
- Kim KO, Kim SM, Kim SM, Kim DY, Jo DJ, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ, Kwon JH. 2013. Physicochemical properties of commercial fruit vinegars with different fermentation methods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 736-742. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.5.736
- Lee JB, Choi JU. 1997. Effect of CA storage conditions on the internal breakdown of Fuji apple fruits under CA storage. Korean J Food Preserv 4: 227-235.
- Jeong YJ, Seo JH, Lee GD, Park NY, Choi TH. 1999. The Quality comparison of apple vinegar by two stages fermentation with commercial apple vinegar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 353-358.
- Determination of Quality Index Components in High-Acidity Cider Vinegar Produced by Two-Stage Fermentation vol.47, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.4.431
- The Fermentation Analysis of Mungyeong Green Apple vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.21289/KSIC.2016.19.4.231
- The Study of Thinned Young Apples Fermentation by Manipulating Preparation Treatment and Sugar Content vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.21289/KSIC.2016.19.4.237
- Quality characteristics of high-acidity vinegar prepared with grape juice vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.100