- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Genotoxicological Safety Evaluation of Imported Oranges Irradiated with Ionizing Energy
이온화 에너지를 조사한 수입 오렌지의 유전독성학적 안전성 평가
- Huang, Yu-Hua (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition & The Korean Institute for Nutrition, Hallym University) ;
- Jung, Da-Woon (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition & The Korean Institute for Nutrition, Hallym University) ;
- Kang, Il-Jun (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition & The Korean Institute for Nutrition, Hallym University)
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.02.27
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was carried out to evaluate the genotoxicity of imported oranges irradiated with ionizing energy (0.5 and 1 kGy). In bacterial reversion assays with Salmonella Typhimurium TA98, TA100, TA1535, and TA1537, imported oranges irradiated with ionizing energy (0.5 and 1 kGy) showed no significant increase in the number of revertant colonies in both the absence and presence of the S9 metabolic activation system. In chromosomal aberration tests with Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells, imported oranges irradiated with ionizing energy (0.5 and 1 kGy) showed no increase in the frequency of chromosomal aberrations. In in vivo mouse micronucleus assay, imported oranges irradiated with ionizing energy (0.5 and 1 kGy) showed no increase in the frequency of polychromatic erythrocytes with micronucleus. These results indicate that imported oranges irradiated with ionizing energy (0.5 and 1 kGy) showed no genotoxic effects under these experimental conditions.
Supported by : 농림수산식품부
- Yang JS. 1997. General survey of detection methods for irradiated foods. Food Sciences and Industry 29: 500-507.
- Farkas J. 1998. Irradiation as a method for decontaminating food. Int J Food Microbiol 44: 189-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(98)00132-9
- Jessup AJ. 1998. Response of 'Lambert' and 'Ron's Seedling' sweet cherries to fumigation with methyl bromide plus cold storage. Aust J Exp Agric 28: 431-434.
- Couey M. 1989. Heat treatment for control of postharvest diseases and insect pests of fruits. Hortscience 24: 198-202.
- Delate KM, Brecht JK, Coffelt JA. 1990. Controlled atmosphere treatments for control of sweet potato weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in stored tropical sweet potatoes. J Econ Entomol 83: 461-465. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/83.2.461
- UNEP. 1995. Montreal protocol on substances that deplete the ozone layer. Report of the methyl bromide technical options committee. p 294.
- Kume T, Furuta M, Todoriki S, Uenoyama N, Kobayashi Y. 2009. Status of food irradiation in the world. Raidat Phys Chem 78: 222-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2008.09.009
- WHO. 1981. Wholesomeness of irradiated food. Report of a Joint FAO/IAEA/WHO expert committee of the wholesomeness of irradiated food. Technical Report Series. p 659-682.
- IAEA. 2011. International atomic energy agency. nucleus. iaea.org/ifa/FoodAuthorisationDisplay.aspx?start=20&page=3&sort=0&search=FRUITS.
- FoodSafety. 2006. www.foodsafety.go.kr/fsafe/safeGuideView.fs?idx=33225&cate_id=2012082800371&f_idx=275&imgno=7.
- KFDA. 2009. Korea Food Code. 2-1-9-2-1-10
- ICGFI. 1994. Summary report on eleventh meeting of the international consultative group on food irradiation. Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, November.
- KATI. 2001. www.kati.net/sta/staRes1Event.do?menu-Co d e =120&topMenuCode=120&expimpDa t a =0&agCode=agName=&rdoExpImp=I&choiceOpt=1&expimpCd=00&fromYY=2001&fromMM=06&codeLevel=0&rdoType=01.
- Maron DM, Ames BN. 1983. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mutat Res 113: 173-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1161(83)90010-9
- Koyama H, Utakoji T, Ono T. 1970. A new cell line derived from newborn Chinese hamster lung tissue. Gann 61: 161-167.
- Hayashi M. 1991. The micronucleus test. Scientist Press Inc, Tokyo, Japan. p 65-69.
- Wakata A, Sasaki MS. 1987. Measurement of micronuclei by cytokinesis-block method in cultured Chinese hamster cells: comparison with types and rates of chromosome aberrations. Mutat Res 190: 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7992(87)90082-0
- Dean BJ, Danford N. 1984. Assays for the detection of chemically-induced chromosome damage in cultured mammalian cells. In Mutagenicity Testing: a practical approach. Venitt S, Parry JM, eds. IRL Press, Oxford, Arlington. p 187-232.
- Ishidate M Jr, Sofuni T, Yoshikawa, K. 1981. Chromosomal aberration tests in vitro as a primary screening tool for environmental mutagens and/or carcinogens. Gann Monogr Cancer Res 27: 95-107.
- Hayashi M, Yoshimura I, Sofuni T, Ishidate M Jr. 1989. A procedure for data analysis of the rodent micronucleus test involving a historical control. Environ Mol Mutagen 13: 347-356. https://doi.org/10.1002/em.2850130412
- Bothner H, Waaler T, Wik O. 1998. Limiting viscosity number and weight average molecular weight of hyaluronate samples produced by heat degradation. Int J Biol Macromol 10: 287-297.
- Safety and Anticancer Effects of Platycodon grandiflorum Extracts vol.44, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.516
- Acute and Subchronic Toxicity of Gamma-Irradiated Orange vol.44, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.9.1286
- A Genotoxicological Safety Evaluation of Crude Antifungal Compounds Produced by Lactobacillus Plantarum AF1 and Lactobacillus Plantarum HD1 vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2015.26.4.633
- Genotoxicological Safety Evaluation of Crude Antifungal Compounds Produced by Bacillus subtilis SN7 vol.28, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2017.28.1.131