- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Vegetable Intakes according to Body Mass Index of Adolescents in Chungnam
충남 일부지역 청소년의 체질량지수에 따른 채소류 섭취상태
- Ham, Eunah (Major in Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Kongju National University) ;
- Choi, Mi-Kyeong (Division of Food Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2014.02.13
- Accepted : 2014.05.06
- Published : 2014.06.30
The purpose of this study was to evaluate vegetable intakes according to body mass index (BMI) of adolescents. For this, 400 middle and high school adolescents living in Buyeogun, Chungnam were classified into underweight group, healthy weight group, and overweight group according to BMI, after which eating habits, daily intake levels of vegetables, perception of vegetables, and vegetable-related eating habits were compared and analyzed. As the reason for skipping breakfast, 'Lack of time (44.3%)' was the most frequently cited. In the case of unbalanced food intakes, the underweight group and overweight group showed the highest response for 'grain' while the healthy weight group showed the highest response for 'vegetables' with significant differences (P<0.001). Daily intakes of one serving size of vegetables was 3.3 in the underweight group, 3.8 servings in the healthy weight group, and 3.8 servings in the overweight group, but there was no significant difference. However, frequency of vegetable intake at lunch was once in the underweight group, which was significantly lower than 1.3 servings in the healthy weight group and 1.4 servings in the overweight group (P<0.05). Regarding perception of vegetables, perception of 'Vegetable consumption helps to get beautiful skin' (P<0.01) and 'I eat vegetables or don't eat depending on a cooking method' (P<0.05) were significantly higher in the underweight group. In the evaluation of vegetables-related eating habits, preference for vegetables in the underweight group was lower than that in the healthy weight and overweight groups (P<0.05). Summarizing the above results, vegetable intake by adolescents was generally low, and the frequency of vegetable intake at lunch as well as preference for vegetables were significantly lower in the underweight group. Studies to identify the relationships between adolescent body types and vegetable intakes are required.
- Appel LJ, Sacks FM, Carey VJ, Obarzanek E, Swain JF, Miller ER 3rd, Conlin PR, Edinger TP, Rosner BA, Laranjo NM, Charleston J, McCarron P, Bishop LM. 2005. Effects of protein, monounsaturated fat, and carbohydrate intake on blood pressure and serum lipids: results of the OmniHeart randomized trial. JAMA 294: 2455-2464. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.19.2455
- Korea National Statistical Office. Available from; http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MTZTITLE.
- Yang IS, Lee HY, Kim HY, Kang YH. 2003. Setting instructional goals for nutritional education program through an analysis of problems identified in junior/senior high school students. Korean J Community Nutr 8: 495-503.
- Kim HH, Ro HK. 2009. A study on middle school students of Gwangju･Chonnam in terms of dietary life, dietary related self-efficacy according to body mass index. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 483-494.
- Ryu HK, Yoon JS. 1999. A study of perception about body image in adolescent females - in Daegu city -. Korean J Community Nutr 4: 554-560.
- Marlett JA. 1997. Sites and mechanism for the hypocholesterolemic actions of soluble dietary fiber sources. Adv Exp Med Biol 427: 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-5967-2_13
- Choi MS. 2003. A study of intakes of vegetables in Korea. Korean J Food Culture 18: 601-612.
- Mizoue T, Yamaji T, Tabata S, Yamaguch K, Shimizu E, Minishita M, Ogawa S, Kono S. 2005. Dietary patterns and colorectal adenomas in Japanese men. Am J Epidemiol 161:338-345. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi049
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2013. Korea Health Statistics 2012: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-3). Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea. p 373-375.
- Park SH, Kim MJ. 2008. Acceptance and preference of vegetables in menus for middle school students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1660-1666. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1660
- Kim GR, Park SH, Kim MJ. 2007. A survey on intake of vegetable foods for proper dietary habits in middle school students. Korean J Culinary Res 13: 128-137.
- Lee WM, Pang HA. 1996. A study on the preference and food behavior of the children in primary school foodservice II. J Korean Dietetic Assoc 2: 69-80.
- Choi MY, Kim HY. 2008. Nutrition knowledge, dietary self-efficacy and eating habits according to student's stage of regular breakfast or exercise. Korean J Community Nutr 13: 653-662.
- Ku UH, Seo JS. 2005. The status of nutrient intake and factors related to dislike of vegetables in elementary school students. Korean J Community Nutr 10: 151-162.
- Suh YS, Chung YG. 2010. The effect of nutrition education on the improvement of psychosocial factors related to vegetable and fruit intake of elementary school children in pre-action stage. Korean J Nutr 43: 597-606. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.6.597
- Kang JH, Jeong HJ. 2008. A study on the vegetable intakerelated factors and moderated variables. Korean J Human Ecology 17: 511-519. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.3.511
- Cho HS. 2010. A study on body image and vegetable intakes by body mass index of middle school students in Chungnam. MS Thesis. Kongju National University, Yesan, Korea.
- Cho HS, Kim MH, Choi MK. 2010. A study on vegetable intakes and dietary habits of middle school students in Chungnam. Korean J Community Nutr 15: 525-535.
- WHO Expert Consultation. 2004. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 363: 157-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Cho HS, Choi MK. 2010. A study on body image and dietary habits by the body mass index of middle school students in Chungnam. Korean J Food & Nutr 23: 368-375.
- Ahn HS, Bai HS. 2004. A survey of the weight control and intake pattern of the girl's high school student residing in Busan. Korean J Obesity 13: 150-162.
- Na SY. 2009. A study on vegetable and fruit intakes and related factors among elementary school students. MS Thesis. Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2010. Dietary reference intake for Koreans. The Korean Nutrition Society, Seoul, Korea. p 535.
- Kang JH, Jeong HJ. 2008. Analyzing the indirect effect of food involvement on vegetable consumption among adult in Jeonnam area. Korean J Food Culture 23: 97-104.
- A comparison of Dietary Habits and Influencing Factors for Vegetable Preferences of Adolescents in Gyeongnam Province vol.20, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2015.20.4.259