- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Problematic Drinking by University Students in Chuncheon Area
춘천지역 대학생의 문제음주에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Kim, Yoon-Sun (Dept. of Home Economics Education, College of Education, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Bok-Ran (Dept. of Home Economics Education, College of Education, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2014.02.11
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.06.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate factors affecting problematic drinking by university students in the Chuncheon area. Lifelong drinking rate of subjects was 98.1%. Problematic drinking rates according to AUDIT (alcohol use disorders identification test) were as follows: 21.3% 'no problem', 58.0% 'at-risk drinking', 10.0% 'alcohol abuse' and 10.7% 'alcohol dependence'. Research has shown that problematic drinking is more prevalent among freshmen, early drinkers, those with hypochondria, and students who are less satisfied with their campus life or whose own parents are frequent drinkers. It has been shown that more serious problematic drinking is associated with higher 'positive alcohol outcome expectancies' and 'coping motives for drinking', and 'recognition level of drinking cultures' is considered less desirable. Multiple regression analysis revealed that 'coping motives for drinking' was the most significant variable affecting the problematic drinking of university students. Developing and fostering various alcohol-reducing programs that largely focus on 'coping motives for drinking' will greatly contribute to solving problematic drinking.
Supported by : 강원대학교
- Kim SY. 2004. Analysis on factors that affect drinking effect expectation and binge drinking of university students. MS Thesis. Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Oh HS. 2011. Alcohol consumption rates and the perception of drinking cultures among college students in the Wonju area. Korean J Food Culture 26: 101-112.
- Rhim KH, Lee JH, Choi MK, Kim CJ. 2004. A study of the correlation between college students' drinking and smoking habits. Korean Public Health Researches 30: 57-70.
- Chung SK. 2006. The influence of Korean drinking culture and perceived attitude toward alcohol on risky drinking behavior among university students. J Korean Alcohol Science 7: 1-16.
- Nam CY. 2008. The relations of stress, drinking trait, and problem behavior after drinking among the college students in Jeju. Journal of Welfare for the Correction 12: 27-47.
- Kim SD. 2010. A survey on the drinking culture of some university students in Kyeongbuk province. Korean Public Health Research 36: 17-30.
- Kim JI, Kim JS, Kim KH, Kim JS. 2007. Influences of level of alcohol consumption and motives for drinking on drinking permissiveness in university students. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 14: 382-390.
- Chun SS. 2002. Analysis of college student binge drinking and alcohol-related problems. J Korean Alcohol Science 3:221-233.
- Jang SO. 2010. Does early alcohol initiation increase the risk of alcohol use disorder? Social Science Research Review Kyungsung University 26: 199-218.
- Park JS. 2000. A study on factors affecting problem drinking of university students. J Korean Public Health Assoc 26:393-413.
- Cooper ML, Russell M, George WH. 1988. Coping, expectancies, and alcohol abuse: a test of social learning formulations. J Abnorm Psychol 97: 218-230. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.218
- Smith GT, McCarthy DM, Goldman MS. 1995. Self-reported drinking and alcohol-related problems among early adolescents: dimensionality and validity over 24 months. J Stud Alcohol 56: 383-394. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1995.56.383
- Kim YS, Yoon HM. 2001. Middle school students' alcohol expectancies and related factors. Korean J Soc Welfare 44:91-116.
- Suh KH, Kim BY. 2011. The concept and measurement of alcohol use as coping of college students. Korean J Health Psychol 16: 815-825. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8287.2011.02018.x
- Lee JS, Lee BJ. 2009. A study on the influences of daily stress and coping motives on the adolescent's alcohol-related problems-focusing on a city in Chungnam. J Adolescent Welfare 11: 1-21.
- Tak JK. 2000. The effects of personality traits and life events on drinking motives. Korean J Health Psychol 5:73-83.
- Oei TPS, Hasking PA, Young RM. 2005. Drinking refusal self-efficacy questionnaire-revised (DRSEQ-R): a new factor structure with confirmatory factor analysis. Drug Alcohol Depend 78: 297-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2004.11.010
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2012. Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Chungbuk, Korea.
- Babor TF, Grant M. 1989. From clinical research to secondary prevention: international collaboration in the development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT). Alcohol Health Res World 13: 371-374.
- Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG. 2001. AUDIT: guidelines for use in primary health care. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. p 16-20.
- Annis HM. 1984. Outcome expectancies questionnaire (in alcoholism treatment assessment research instrument). National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), Rockville, MD, USA. p 36-37.
- Shin WW. 2003. The effect of the psychosocial characteristics and homelessness experiences of homeless persons on alcohol problems before and after homelessness. PhD Dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Polich JM, Orvis BR. 1979. Alcohol problems: patterns and prevalence in the U. S. air force (Rep. No. R-2308-AF). Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
- Sherer M, Maddox JE, Mercandante B, Prentice-dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW. 1982. The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation. Psychol Reports 51: 663-671. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683
- Nam KC. 2000. The effect of the psychosocial trauma according to the homeless duration on the exit from the homeless shelter. PhD Dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang JE, Choi HS, Choi JH, Jung ST, Yeo SH, Kim MH. 2013. The comparative study of dietary habits according to the alcohol drinking among university students. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 23: 681-689.
- Chun S, Ahn B, Kim M, Sohn A. 2011. Cognitive differences of drinking attitude and drinking problems between the normal drinker and the problem drinker. Korean Public Health Research 37: 121-130.
- Kim MK. 2012. A study on parents' alcohol use, university students' alcohol expectancy, and alcohol use disorder: mediating effects on self-esteem and depression. Asian J Child Welfare Development 10: 61-80.
- Han SH, Han DW. 2001. The related factors of alcohol drinking in Korean young adults. J Korean Public Health Assoc 27: 130-143.
- Kim GE, Cho NA. 2012. The effects of drinking environment on the degree of youth drinking: moderating effects of the interaction of parents and adolescent. Korean Youth Research Assoc 19(11): 45-68.
- Hong JP. 1990. The effects of alcohol-related expectancies on drinking behavior of college students. J Graduate School Student Assoc 17: 387-411.
- Han SY, Lee MK, Shin HC. 2005. Gender differences in the effect of risk factors on drinking problems in college students. Korean J Counseling Psychotherapy 17: 1003-1019.
- Demmel R, Nicolai J, Gregorzik S. 2006. Alcohol expectancies and current mood state in social drinkers. Addict Behav 31: 859-867. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2005.07.010
- Oei TPS, Baldwin AR. 1994. Expectancy theory: a twoprocess model of alcohol use and abuse. J Stud Alcohol 55: 525-534. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1994.55.525
- Ahn KS. 1996. The study on the influential factors of parents and friends with regard to adolescent's drinking behavior and expectation. MS Thesis. Ewha Woman's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim IS, Lee YH. 2003. The effects of personality, social pressure and drinking motivation on drinking and drinking problems. Korean J Clinical Psychol 22: 525-541.
- Kim MH. 2011. An analysis of psychosocial factors affecting alcoholic dependency among homeless inpatients in South Korea. MS Thesis. Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Korea.
- Oei TP, Burrow T. 2000. Alcohol expectancy and drinking refusal self-efficacy: a test of specificity theory. Addict Behav 25: 499-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4603(99)00044-1
- Kim SJ. 1999. Modeling relapse of alcoholism: male alcoholic in-patients of psychiatric ward. PhD Dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Cho H. 2000. Developing a predictive model for alcohol consumption behavior among Korean university students. PhD Dissertation. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kho YM, Hyun MH, Park JS. 2009. The mediating effect of drinking refusal self-efficacy on the relationship between drinking restraint and drinking behaviors in college students. Korean J Health Psychol 14: 891-909.
- Kim JU. 2007. The effect of drinking prevention group counseling on drinking refusal self-efficacy, alcohol expectancy, and drinking behaviors of college students. Korean J Counseling 8: 115-130. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.8.1.200703.115
- Aas H, Klepp KI, Laberg JC, Aaro LE. 1995. Predicting adolescents' intentions to drink alcohol: outcome expectancies and self-efficacy. J Stud Alcohol 56: 293-299. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1995.56.293
- Shin HW. 1998. The effects of personality and drinking motives on drinking problems. PhD Dissertation. Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim IS, Hyun MH, You JM. 2001. Risk/ vulnerability factors of drinking & drinking problem: data mining answer tree and neural connection. Korean J Health Psychol 6:75-95.
- Carey K, Correia C. 1997. Drinking motives predict alcohol-related problems in college students. J Studies Alcohol 58: 100-105. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1997.58.100
- Comparison of Dietary Habits and Learning Flow According to Alcohol Drinking Status Among Male University Students in Jeonbuk Province vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2016.25.3.387
- Association between protective behavioral strategies and problem drinking among college students in the Republic of Korea vol.51, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2015.07.017
- Nutrient Intake Status of Male and Female University Students in Chuncheon Area vol.44, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.12.1856