- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Vitamin C Quantification of Korean Sweet Potatoes by Cultivar and Cooking Method
국내산 고구마의 품종 및 조리방법별 비타민 C 함량
- Hwang, In Guk (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Byun, Jae Yoon (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Kyung Mi (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Chung, Mi Nam (Dept. of Bioenergy Crop Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoo, Seon Mi (Dept. of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 황인국 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 변재윤 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 김경미 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부) ;
- 정미남 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 바이오에너지작물센터) ;
- 유선미 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부)
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.04.02
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was carried out to investigate the amounts of vitamin C in 22 sweet potato cultivars cultivated in Korea as well as evaluate the effects of cooking methods on vitamin C contents. Methods for determining vitamin C was validated by determining linearity, specificity, limit of detection (LOD), limit of quantification (LOQ), precision, and accuracy using HPLC. Results showed high linearity in the calibration curve with a coefficient of correlation (
Supported by : 국립농업과학원
- Phillips KM, Tarrago-Trani MT, Gebhardt SE, Exler J, Patterson KY, Haytowitz DB, Pehrsson PR, Holden JM. 2010. Stability of vitamin C in frozen raw fruit and vegetable homogenates. J Food Compos Anal 23: 253-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2009.08.018
- Choi WS, Kim YJ, Jung JY, Kim TJ, Jung BM, Kim ER, Jung HK, Chun HN. 2005. Research for selecting the optimized vitamin C analysis method. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 861-865.
- Chebrolu KK, Jayaprakasha GK, Yoo KS, Jifon JL, Patil BS. 2012. An improved sample preparation method for quantification of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid by HPLC. LWT-Food Sci Technol 47: 443-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.02.004
- Tudela JA, Espín JC, Gil MI. 2005. Vitamin C retention in fresh-cut potatoes. Postharvest Biol Technol 26: 75-84.
- Woo KS, Ko JY, Kim HY, Lee YH, Jeong HS. 2013. Changes in quality characteristics and chemical components of sweet potatoes cultivated using different methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 45: 305-311. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.3.305
- Lee HH, Kang SG, Rhim JW. 1999. Characteristics of antioxidative and antimicrobial activities of various cultivars of sweet potato. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1090-1095.
- Park SJ, Kim JM, Kim JE, Jeong SH, Park KH, Shin M. 2011. Characteristics of sweet potato powders from eight Korean varieties. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 27: 19-29. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.2.019
- Lee YM, Bae JH, Kim JB, Kim SY, Chung MN, Park MY, Ko JS, Song J, Kim JH. 2012. Changes in the physiological activities of four sweet potato varieties by cooking condition. Korean J Nutr 45: 12-19. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.1.12
- Park JS, Bae JO, Choi GH, Chung BW, Choi DS. 2011. Antimutagenicity of Korean sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) cultivars. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 37-46. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.037
- Woo KS, Seo HI, Lee YH, Kim HY, Ko JY, Song SB, Lee JS, Jung KY, Nam MH, Oh IS, Jeong HS. 2012. Antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of sweet potatoes with cultivated conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 519-525. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.519
- Jang GY, Li M, Lee SH, Woo KS, Sin HM, Kim HS, Lee J, Jeong HS. 2013. Optimization of processing conditions and selection of optimum species for sweet potato chips. Korean J Food & Nutr 26: 565-572. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.565
- Cheon JE, Baik MY, Choi SW, Kim CN, Kim BY. 2013. Optimization of Makgeolli manufacture using several sweet potatoes. Korean J Food & Nutr 26: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.1.029
- Oh HE, Hong JS. 2008. Quality characteristics of sulgidduk added with fresh sweet potato. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 501-510.
- Ko SH, Seo EO. 2010. Quality characteristics of muffins containing purple colored sweetpotato powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 272-278.
- Park EJ, Park GS. 2012. Quality characteristics of jelly prepared with purple sweet potato powder. Korean J Food Culture 27: 730-736. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2012.27.6.730
- Park JY, Ahn YS, Shin DH, Lim ST. 1999. Physicochemical properties of Korean sweet potato starches. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 1-8.
- Choi CR, Rhim JW, Park YK. 2000. Physicochemical properties of purple-freshed sweet potato starch. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 1-5.
- Kim KE, Kim SS, Lee YT. 2010. Physicochemical properties of flours prepared from sweet potatoes with different flesh colors. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1476-1480. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1476
- Kim SY, Ryu CH. 1995. Studies on the nutritional components of purple sweet potato (Ipomoes batatas). Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 819-825.
- Song J, Chung MN, Kim JT, Chi HY, Son JR. 2005. Quality characteristics and antioxidative activities in various cultivars of sweet potato. Korean J Crop Sci 50: 141-146.
- Kwak CS, Lee KJ, Chang JH, Park JH, Cho JH, Park JH, Kim KM, Lee MS. 2013. In vitro antioxidant, anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory effects of ethanol extracts from Korean sweet potato leaves and stalks. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 369-377. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.3.369
- Lee GH, Kwon BK, Yim SY, Oh MJ. 2000. Phenolic compounds in sweet potatoes and their antioxidative activity. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 7: 331-336.
- National Rural Resources Development Institute. 2006. Food composition table. 7nd ed. National Rural Resources Development Institute, R.D.A, Suwon, Korea. p 61.
- Kwon SM. 2010. Development of processed food utilizing pumpkin sweet potatoes. MS Thesis. Hanseo University, Seosan, Korea.
- Huang YC, Chang YH, Shao YY. 2006. Effects of genotype and treatment on the antioxidant activity of sweet potato in Taiwan. Food Chem 98: 529-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.083
- Barros AIRNA, Nunes FM, Goncalves B, Bennett RN, Silva AP. 2011. Effect of cooking on the total vitamin C contents and antioxidant activity of sweet chestnuts (Castanea sativa Mill.). Food Chem 128: 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.03.013
- Burgos G, Auqui S, Amoros W, Salas E, Bonierbale M. 2009. Ascorbic acid concentration of native Andean potato varieties as affected by environment, cooking and storage. J Food Compos Anal 22: 533-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.05.013
- Haase NU, Weber L. 2003. Ascorbic acid losses during processing of French fries and potato chips. J Food Eng 56: 207-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(02)00252-2
- Hwang IG, Kim HY, Lee J, Kim HR, Cho MC, Ko IB, Yoo SM. 2011. Quality characteristics of Cheongyang pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) according to cultivation region. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1340-1346. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1340
- Lee JJ, Jung HO. 2012. Changes in physicochemical properties of Spergularia marina Griseb by blanching. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 866-872. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.6.866
- Somsub W, Kongkachuichai R, Sungpuag P, Charoensiri R. 2008. Effects of three conventional cooking methods on vitamin C, tannin, myo-inositol phosphates contents in selected Thai vegetables. J Food Compos Anal 21: 187-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2007.08.002
- Chemical Composition and Physiological Activity of Opuntia ficus-indica depending on Different Cultivation Regions vol.29, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.4.521