- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Single-dose Intramuscular Toxicity of Neutral Natured Blood Stasis Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Yeo, In Ho (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Semyung University Oriental Medicine Hospital) ;
- Lee, Eun Yong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Semyung University Oriental Medicine Hospital)
- Received : 2013.09.13
- Accepted : 2014.05.15
- Published : 2014.06.30
Objectives: This study was performed to analyze the single-dose toxicity of neutral natured blood stasis pharmacopuncture extracts. Methods: All experiments were conducted at Biotoxtech, an institution authorized to perform non-clinical studies, under the regulations of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP). Sprague-Dawley rats were chosen for the pilot study. Doses of neutral natured blood stasis pharmacopuncture extracts, 0.1, 0.5 and 1.0 mL, were administered to the experimental group, and the same doses of normal saline solution were administered to the control group. This study was conducted under the approval of the Institutional Animal Ethics Committee. Results: In all 4 groups, no deaths occurred, and the neutral natured blood stasis pharmacopuncture extracts administered by intramuscular (IM) injection was over 1.0 mL/animal. No significant changes in the body weights between the control group and the experimental group were observed. To check for abnormalities in organs and tissues, we used microscopy to examine representative histological sections of each specified organ; the results showed no significant differences in any organs or tissues. Conclusion: The above findings suggest that treatment with neutral natured blood stasis pharmacopuncture extracts is relatively safe. Further studies on this subject should be conducted to yield more concrete evidence.
- Kyung Hee University College of Pharmacy. [Studies on establishment of functional food evaluation standard system]. Seoul (Korea): Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2002. p. 1-2. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology: principles and clinical applications. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. p. 1-5, 161-2, 284-313.
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. [The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine]. Gyeonggi: Jipmoondang; 2012. p. 230-1. Korean.
- Kim YJ, Lim CS, Kwon KR. [Study of single dose test of Sweet Bee Venom in rats]. J Pharmacopunct. 2009;12(4):5-32. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2009.12.4.005
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. [Pharmacopuncturology]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2008. p. 149-66, p. 265-6. Korean.
- Choi EH, Chun HS, Lee JH, Ryu HS, Yang DS, Hong S. [Case report of radial nerve palsy patients treated with additional Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopunct. 2011;14(4):63-69. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.4.063
- Yuk SS, Lim EM, Kwon KR. [Effects of Ouhyul Herbal Acupuncture on experimentally induced endometrosis in rats. J Pharmacopunct. 2006;9(1):83-94. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.1.083
- Jeong MJ, Kwon OG, Woo CH, An HD. [Dose dependent effects of Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture on Low Back Pain]. J Pharmacopunct. 2011;14(2):45-52. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.2.045
- Woo JH, Han KW, Kim ES, Lee SJ, Lee JS, Nam JH, et al. [A clinical study comparing the effects of chuna treatment and Ouhyul Herbal Acupuncture on the patients with cervical pain caused by traffic accidents]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2011;28(5):9-18. Korean.
- Kang JG, Lee EY, Song BK, Lee SD, Yook TH, Ahn SH, et al. Study on a single-dose toxicity test of D-Amino Acid Oxidase (DAAO) extracts injected into the tail vein of rats. J Pharmacopunct. 2013;16(2):28-32. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2013.16.012
- Shin HM. [Repeated dose 4-week oral-treatment for DRF toxicity test of HMC05 in Sprague-Dawley Rats]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2009;30(5):102-14. Korean.
- Heo IH. [Toxicology]. Seoul: Shinilbooks; 1993; p. 9-10, p. 185-6. Korean.
- The Korea Association of Herbology. [Herbology]. Seoul: Younglimsa; 2006. p. 91-3. Korean.
- Kim YG. [Toxicology]. Paju: Donghwagisul; 1984. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Toxicity of Single-dose Intramuscular Injection of Samjeong Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2015.18.016