- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Single Intramuscular-dose Toxicity of Samgihwalryeok-Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Kim, Sung-Chul (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang Gwangju Oriental Medical Hospital) ;
- Ahn, Seong-Hun (Department of Meridians & Acupoints, College of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2014.03.06
- Accepted : 2014.05.19
- Published : 2014.06.30
Objectives: This study was performed to examine the single-dose toxicity of Samgihwalryeok pharmacopuncture. Methods: Forty six-week-old Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats were divided into four groups of 10 rats each; each group was then sub-divided into two smaller groups, one of five males and the other of five females. Group 1 (G1, control) received 1.0 mL of normal saline solution, while group 2 (G2, low-dose group), group 3 (G3, mid-does group, and group 4 (G4, high-dose group) received 0.1, 0.5, and 1.0 mL of Samgihwalryeok pharmacopuncture, respectively. Results: No mortalities or clinical signs were observed in the four groups. Also, no significant changes in body weights were observed among the group, and no significant differences in hematology/biochemistry, necropsy, or histopathology results were noted. Conclusion: The above findings suggest that treatment with Samgihwalryeok pharmacopuncture is relatively safe. Further studies on this subject are needed.
acupuncture;pharmacopuncture;Samgihwalryeok pharmacopuncture;single toxicity test
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- Lee ES, Yang SY, Kim MH, Namgung U, Park YC. [Effects of root of Liriope spicata On LPS-induced lung injury]. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2011;25(4):641-9. Korean.
- Park SH, Kim YS. [Effects of Liriopis Tuber on 4-HNE-induced Apoptosis in PC-12 cells]. Kor J Herbology. 2013;28(2):33-8. Korean. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2013.28.2.33
- Jang SI, Mok JY, Choi HJ, Jeon IH, Lee KS, Yun YG. [Synergic effect of methanol extracts of Schizandrae Fructus and Mum Fructus on experimental mouse colitis induced by dextran sulfate sodium]. The Korean Journal of Oriental Medical Prescription. 2009;17(2):85-98. Korean.
- Kim YG. [Toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1984. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. [Korea Food & Drug Administration notification]. 2005; p. 60. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. [Pharmacopuncturology]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2008. p. 3, 11, 21-3, 135. Korean.
- Lee JM, Kim YT, Lee HI, Son YS, Jin SH, Lee HS, et al. [The effects of Cervus elaphus Aquapuncture and Ginseng Radix Aquapuncture on the growth of animals]. J Pharmacopunct. 2000;3(2):131-52. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.2.131
- Seol H, Song BY, Yook TH. [The Effects of Panax Gingseng Radix Pharmacopuncture and Zizyphi Spinosi Semen Pharmacopuncture on the Heart Rate Variability]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(5):19-28. Korean.
- Kim JH, Park HJ, Lee HS, Lee HJ. [The effect of herb-acupunctures of Bojoongiggi-tang (Buzhongyiqi-tang), Ginseng Radix, and Astragali Radix on immune responses in rats]. J Pharmacopunct. 2000;3(2):79-97. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.2.079
- Lee EJ, Lem KH, Seo IB, Koo ST, Choi SM, Kim EH. [Effect of Ginseng radix herb-acupuncture on noise stress-induced NOS expression in the offspring rats]. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2006;23(4):157-67. Korean.
- We JS, Kwon KR, Park HS. [An experimental study on effects of distilled White-ginseng herbal acupuncture on A549 human ephithelial lung cancer cell in vitro and implanted Sarcoma-180 in vivo]. J Pharmacopunct. 2004;7(3):59-71. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.3.059
- Han SW, Lee YH, Kim CH. [A study on effects of the Cervi Pantotricuhum Cornu herb-acupuncture on the Osteoporosis induced by ovariectomy in rats]. J Pharmacopunct. 2000;3(1):177-91. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.1.177
- Song BK, Jeon YC, Kim SA, Sim AN, Seong KM, Lee EJ. [The effect of intravenous Injection of the water extract of Angelica gigas Nakai on Gliosis in the middle cerebral artery occlusion rats]. J Pharmacopunct. 2011;14(3):5-17. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.3.005
- Lee SR, Kim KS, Han JH. [The Effect of Radix Angelicae gigantis aqua-acupuncture on the hypothyroidism induced by thiourea in rats]. J Pharmacopunct. 1997;1(1):53-76. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.1997.1.1.053
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. [Pharmacopuncture therapy guidelines]. Seoul: Hansung printing; 1999: p. 143. Korean.
- Yook TH. [Clinical observation about the extent of improvement of low back pain patient through medi-acupuncture therapy]. J Korean Oriental Med. 1995;16(1):184-97. Korean.
- Joo HJ. [Researches on Parmacopuncture]. Korea Institute of Oriental medicine. 1995;5:193-210. Korean.
- Lee YH, Kwon GS, Lee SH, Lee ES, Kim CH, Jang KJ, et al. [The clinical review of Samgi-Halleak pharmacopuncture effects for insomnia & fatigue]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2012;29(3):101-13. Korean.
- Korea Food and Drug Adminisatration. Good laboratory practice regulation for non-clinical laboratory studies (KFDA Notification No. 2012-86, 2012 Aug 24) [Internet]. Seoul: The National Legal Information Center of the Ministry of Government Legislation; c1997-2011 [cited 2012 Oct 1]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/.
- Single-dose Intravenous Toxicology Testing of Daebohwalryeok Pharmcopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2015.18.014