- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Pilot Study on Single-dose Toxicity Testing of Scolopendrid Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Son, Ilhong ;
- Lee, Sangmi ;
- Kim, Doho ;
- Jeong, Hohyung ;
- Cho, Seung-Hun ;
- Lee, Eun-Yong ;
- Lee, Seung-Deok ;
- Ahn, Seong-Hun ;
- Kim, Sungchul
- Received : 2013.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.01.13
- Published : 2014.06.30
Objectives: This study was performed to analyze single dose toxicity and the lethal dose of Scolopendrid Pharmacopuncture in rats. Methods: All experiments were conducted at the Korea Testing & Research Institute (KTR), an institution authorized to perform non-clinical studies, under the regulations of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP). Sprague-Dawley rats were chosen for the pilot study. Doses of Scolopendrid pharmacopuncture, 0.1, 0.5, and 1.0 mL, were administered to the experimental group, and 1.0 mL doses of normal saline solution were administered to the control group. This study was conducted under the approval of the Institutional Animal Ethic Committee. Results: No deaths or abnormalities occurred in any of the groups. No significant changes in the weight, hematological parameters or clinical chemistry were noted between the control group and the experimental group. To check for abnormalities in organs and tissues, we used microscopy to examine representative histological sections of each specified organ; the results showed no significant differences in any of the organs or tissues. Conclusion: The above findings suggest Scolopendrid Pharmacopuncture is a relatively safe to use for treatment. Further studies on the subject should be conducted to yield more concrete evidence.
acupuncture;pharmacopuncture;Scolopendrid Pharmacopuncture;toxicity test
- Hong ND. [Pharmacological studies of Scolopednrae Corpus]. The Journal of the Yellow-Emperol's Medicine. 1977:1-13. Korean.
- Kim JH. [The experimental research on antipyretic, analgetic and anticonvulsive effects of scolopendrid]. [dissertation]. [Daejeon (Korea)]: Daejeon University; 1991. p. 1-22. Korean.
- Lim SI, Kim SN, So KS, Choi HK, Lim JA, Lee SK et al. [The study on safety of Scolopendrid aqua-acupuncture]. J Pharmacopunct. 2004;7(1):37-51. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.1.037
- Koh KH, Park SY, Choi HG, So KS, Hwang WJ, Lee KM, et al. [The clinical study on treatment of HIVD of lumbar spine using Scolopendrid herbal acupuncture]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2002;19(3):192-206. Korean.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. [Korea Food & Drug Administration notification]. 2005. p. 60. Korean.
- Kim SN. [Study on genetic analysis and extract cytotoxicity of Scolopenda subspinipes mulitilans L. Koch]. [dissertation]. [Iksan (Korea)]: Wonkwang University; 2005. 49 p. Korean.
- Shin MK. [Clinical herbology]. Seoul: Young-Rim Press; 2000. 655 p. Korean.
- Wu Qian. [Shennong's classic of material medica]. Seoul: Euy-Do Press; 1987. 28 p. Korean.
- Li Shizhen. [Compendium of material medica]. Beijing: In-Min Press; 1982. p. 2345-9. Chinese.
- Joo HJ. [Research on pharmacopuncture]. Daejeon. Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 1995;(5):193-210. Korean.
- Chio SW, Bae JS, Kim YJ. [Two case of patient with the pain of popliteal part treated by Scolopendrid pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopunct. 2007;10(1):163-8. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2007.10.1.163
- Choi SW, Lim ST, Shin JC, Yuk TH. [A Case of patient with the pain of hip adductors treated by Scolopendrid pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopunct. 2006;9(1):109-13. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.1.109
Supported by : Ministry for Health & Welfare