- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of forensic short wavelength UV on DNA
법과학 단파자외선이 DNA에 미치는 영향
- Kim, A-Ram (Soonchunhyang Univ. Graduate School of Forensic Science) ;
- Kim, Woo-Joong (Soonchunhyang Univ. Graduate School of Forensic Science) ;
- Park, Hee-Yeon (DNA analysis section, Busan Institute, National Forensic Service) ;
- Lim, Si-Keun (Forensic DNA Division, National Forensic Service)
- 김아람 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원 법과학과) ;
- 김우중 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원 법과학과) ;
- 박희연 (국립과학수사연구원 부산연구소 법의학과 유전자분석실) ;
- 임시근 (국립과학수사연구원 법유전자과)
- Received : 2014.04.08
- Accepted : 2014.05.30
- Published : 2014.06.25
RUVIS(Reflective Ultraviolet Imaging System) is an effective equipment that detects the location of latent fingerprint at crime scene using short wavelength ultraviolet of 254 nm. In this study, the degree of DNA damage in biological samples was compared depending on the distance and time of processing using four commonly used RUVIS. 50% of DNA was damaged by treating 10 seconds at 10 cm distance in 3 types of RUVIS such as Police RUVIS, SIRCHIE mini light and SIRCHIE RUVIS. In addition, the degree of DNA damage was increased as the distance was closer and the treatment time was longer. It showed that short wavelength UV could cause DNA damage when used close to the samples at crime scene. Therefore, it was suggested to use RUVIS at a distance of at least 1 m. The degree of DNA damage was not significant by Polilight which used long wavelength ultraviolet of 350 nm. As a result, the choice and usage of which UV light and RUVIS were critical for detection of fingerprint and successful DNA typing.
- http://www.sirchie.com/Assets/Cat_10_11/ruvis3.pdf, Assessed 23 Nov 2013.
- http://www.spexforensics.com/applications/scenescopeadvance-ruvis-uv-imager, Assessed 23 Nov 2013.
- M. C. Cubuk, Problem Forensic Sci., 51, 150-154 (2002).
- H. Cha, I. H. Song, Y. A. Choo, S. K. Park and I. H. Lee, Kor. J. Anat., 33(2), 201-207 (2000).
- S. Madronich, R. L. McKenzie, L. O. Bjrn and M. M. Caldwell, J Photochem Photobiol B, 46, 5-19 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1011-1344(98)00182-1
- J. E. Cleaver and D. L. Mitchell, In 'Ultraviolet Radiation Carcinogenesis'.; 1st Ed., p. 307-318, Cancer Medicine. Williams & Wilkins. Baltimore, 1993.
- K. Hemminki, X. Wu, K. Laura, K. M. Leena, C. Y. Zhao and T. J. Christer, Carcinogenesis, 23, 605-609 (1997).
- Y. G. Yoon, S. J. Choi, W. J. Park, S. Y. Eom, S. K. Lee and I. S. An, Kor. J. Aesthet Cosmetol, 10, 887-891 (2012).
- A. Tewari, R. P. Sarkany and A. R. Young, J. Invest. Dermatol, 132(2), 394-400 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.2011.283