- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on the quantitation of asbestos by the visual estimation and point counting method
시야평가법과 포인트계수법에 의한 석면정량평가 연구
- Choi, Yun-Ho (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hwa (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Bae, Yong-Soo (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hyun (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Kim, Hyeon-Ja (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Jang, Eun-Ah (Life Environment Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health & Environment) ;
- Hwang, Beom-Goo (Korea Testing & Research Institute)
- 최윤호 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 김태화 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 배용수 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 김태현 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 김현자 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 장은아 (경기도보건환경연구원 생활환경팀) ;
- 황범구 (한국화학융합시험연구원)
- Received : 2013.06.04
- Accepted : 2014.05.26
- Published : 2014.06.25
While variety of cases of studies about asbestos analysis methods are released internationally, the results of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) according to differences in the method of the analysis is becoming an issue. In this study, homogeneity ensured ACM samples were analyzed by visual estimation method and point counting method, and the result cound be used not only to improve the reliability on asbestos analysis of the institutions and analysts but also to obtain the basic data of Polarizing Light Microscope (PLM) analysis by comparing and evaluating. Asbestos analysis were divided into qualitative and quantitative analysis method. The quantitative analysis was performed by visual estimation method and point counting method (total 400 points) of EPA 600-R-93-116 method by using PLM. Firstly, The following was the result of homogeneity of the samples by ANOVA (Analysis of variance) and the results were satisfied. The results of qualitative analysis showed that the samples were chrysotile and amosite, and about the results of quantitative analysis, asbestos concentration determined by point counting method tend to be lower than concentrations determined by visual estimation method and also, pont counting method was a little more complicated and time-consuming.
asbestos;ACM;qualitative analysis;quantitative analysis;visual estimation method;point counting method
- RTI, RTI Calibration Standard No. 1 INFORMATION SHEET, 2009.
- Ministry of Environment, Control of Asbestos Regulations, 2012.
- Department of Labor, Asbestos Survey and QA/QC Manual, 2009.
- NIER, Method for the determination of Asbestos in Waste, 2007.
- EPA 600-R-93-116, Method for the determination of asbestos in bulk building materials, 1993.
- EPA-600/M-82-020 : Interim method for the determination of asbestos in bulk insulation samples, 1982.
- SO Guide 34, General requirements for the competence of reference material producers, 2009.
- ISO Guide 30, Terms and definitions used in connection with reference materials, 1992.
- Agency for Technology and Standards, KS L 5300, Determination of Asbestos in Bulk Material, 2009.
- ISO Guide 35, Reference materials-general and statistical principles for certification, 2006.
- ISO/IEC 17025, General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories, 2005.
- Ministry of Environment, Official Test Methods of Soil Quality, 2009.
- McCrone Research Institute, Advanced Asbestos Identification, APPENDICES, 2005.
- H. W. Kim, G. Y. Park, J. G Han, Y. S. Han, B. G. Hwang, J. H. Lee, Releasing of asbestos fibers from the weathered asbestos cement slate roofing, The Korean Industrial Hygie, 20(2), 88-93 (2010).
- U.S. Geological Survey, Mineral Commodity Summaries, 2007.
- Becklake, Mr. American Review of Respiratory Disease, Asbestos-related diseases of the lung and other organs, 187-227 (1976).
- J. K. Choi, D. Y. Paek, N. W. Paik, The Production, the Use, the Number of Workers and Exposure Level of Asbestos in Korea, The Korean Industrial Hygie, 8(2), 242-243 (1998).
- KONETIC, Bans of Asbestos Import, 2006.