- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Partial Replacement of Wheat Flour with High Quality Cassava Flour on the Chemical Composition, Antioxidant Activity, Sensory Quality, and Microbial Quality of Bread
- Eleazu, Chinedum (National Root Crops Research Institute) ;
- Eleazu, Kate (Michael Okpara University of Agriculture) ;
- Aniedu, Chinyere (National Root Crops Research Institute) ;
- Amajor, John (National Root Crops Research Institute) ;
- Ikpeama, Ahamefula (National Root Crops Research Institute) ;
- Ebenzer, Ike (Imo State Polytechnic Umuagwo)
- Received : 2014.04.18
- Accepted : 2014.05.29
- Published : 2014.06.30
In the current study, wheat flour was mixed with high quality cassava flour (HQCF) in several ratios: 90:10, 80:20, 70:30, and 60:40, and used to prepare 10%, 20%, 30%, and 40% National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI) cassava bread, respectively. 100% wheat bread was prepared as a control (100% wheat bread). Five bread samples were prepared per group. Antioxidant assays [i.e., 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical (DPPH) scavenging assay, reducing power assay] revealed that the bread samples had considerable antioxidant capacities. Substitution of wheat flour with HQCF at various concentrations resulted in dose dependent decreases in the mineral and protein contents of the resulting bread samples. The crude fiber content of the bread samples was minimal, while the carbohydrate content of the bread samples ranged from 43.86% to 48.64%. A 20% substitution of wheat flour with HQCF yielded bread samples with a general acceptability that was comparable to that of 100% wheat bread. The mean bacteria counts of the bread samples ranged from
- Khalil AH, Mansour EH, Dawood FM. 2000. Influence of malt on rheological and baking properties of wheat-cassava composite flours. LWT-Food Sci Technol 33: 159-164. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1999.0629
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture. 2012. State government lauds the incorporation of high quality cassava flour in bread. The IITA Bulletin: 2131.
- Tritscher A, Miyagishima K, Nishida C, Branca F; World Health Organization. 2013. Ensuring food safety and nutrition security to protect consumer health: 50 years of the Codex Alimentarius Commission. Bull WHO 91: 468A-468A.
- Aniedu C, Oti E; NRCRI. 2008. Cassava based recipes. Extension bulletin. National Root Crops Research Institute, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. p 2.
- Helrich K, AOAC. 1990. Methods of analysis Changes in official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA. p 1141.
- Harbone JB. 1973. Comparative Biochemistry of the Flavonoids. Academic Press, London, UK. p 221-222.
- Boham AB, Kocipai AC. 1994. Flavonoid and condensed tannins from leaves of Hawaiian vaccininum vaticulum and vicalycinium. Pacific Sci 48: 458-463.
- Onwuka GI. 2005. Food Analysis and Instrumentation. Theory and Practice. Naphthali Prints, Lagos, Nigeria. p 140-146.
- Wheeler EL, Ferrel RE. 1971. A method for phytic acid determination in wheat and wheat fractions. Cereal Chem 48: 312-320.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by use of stable free radicals. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Hsu CL, Chen W, Weng YM, Tseng CY. 2003. Chemical composition, physical properties, and antioxidant activities of yam flours as affected by different drying methods. Food Chem 83: 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(03)00053-0
- Fawole MO, Oso BA. 1988. Laboratory Manual of Microbiology. Spectrum Books Ltd., Ibadan, Nigeria. p 34-35.
- David M. 2006. Nigeria, no. 1 market for U.S. wheat; potential for other grains and feeds. USAID Foreign Agric Serv Bull 21: 1-2.
- FAO. 2004. FAO Statistical Yearbook 2004. Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy.
- Edema MO, Sanni LO, Sanni AI. 2005. Evaluation of maizesoybean flour blends for sour maize bread production in Nigeria. Afr J Biotechnol 4: 911-918.
- Elijah IO. 2014. The prospects and challenges of cassava inclusion in wheat bread policy in Nigeria. International Journal Science Technology and Society 2: 6-17. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ijsts.20140201.12
- Ukwuru MU, Egbonu SE. 2013. Recent development in cassava-based products research. Academia Journal of Food Research 1: 1-13.
- Owuamanam CI. 2007. Quality of bread from wheat/cassava flour composite as affected by strength and steeping duration of cassava in citric acid. Nature and Science 5: 24-28.
- Shittu TA, Dixon A, Awonorin SO, Sanni LO, Maziya-Dixon B. 2008. Bread from composite cassava-wheat flour. II: Effect of cassava genotype and nitrogen fertilizer on bread quality. Food Res Int 41: 569-578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2008.03.008
- Defloor I, Leijskens R, Bokanga M, Delcour JA. 2006. Impact of genotype, crop age and planting season on the breadmaking and gelatinization properties of flour produced from cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) flour. J Sci Food Agric 68: 167-174.
- Smith JP, Daifas DP, El-Khoury W, Koukoutsis J, El-Khoury A. 2004. Shelf life and safety concerns of bakery products−a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44: 19-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408690490263774
- Pepe O, Blaiotta G, Moschetti G, Greco T, Villani F. 2003. Rope-producing strains of Bacillus spp. from wheat bread and strategy for their control by lactic acid bacteria. Appl Environ Microbiol 69: 2321-2329 https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.4.2321-2329.2003
- Dewi RS, Huda N, Ahmad R. 2011. Changes in the physicochemical properties, microstructure and sensory characteristics of shark dendeng using different drying methods. Am J Food Technol 6: 149-157. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajft.2011.149.157
- Govindan P, Muthukrishnan S. 2013. Evaluation of total phenolic content and free radical scavenging activity of Boerhavia erecta. J Acute Med 3: 103-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacme.2013.06.003
- Eddy NO, Udofia PG, Eyo D. 2007. Sensory evaluation of wheat/cassava composite bread and effect of label information on acceptance and preference. Afr J Biotechnol 6: 2415-2418. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2007.000-2379
- Eleazu CO, Iroaganachi M, Eleazu KC. 2013. Ameliorative Potentials of cocoyam (Colocasia esculenta L.) and unripe plantain (Musa paradisiaca L.) on the relative tissue weights of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Diabetes Res 2013: 160964.
- Eleazu CO, Eleazu KC, Awa E, Chukwuma SC. 2012. Comparative study of the phytochemical composition of the leaves of five Nigerian medicinal plants. J Biotechnol Pharm Res 3: 42-46.
- Okwu DE. 2004. Phytochemicals and vitamin content of indigenous species of South Eastern Nigeria. J Sustain Agric Environ 6: 30-34.
- Chikezie PC, Agomuo EN, Amadi BA. 2008. Biochemistry, Practical/Research Method. A Fundamental Approach. Mega soft publishers, Owerri, Nigeria. Vol 2, p 51-53.
- Bahadoran Z, Mirmiran P, Azizi F. 2013. Dietary polyphenols as potential nutraceuticals in management of diabetes: a review. J Diabetes Metab Disord 12: 43. https://doi.org/10.1186/2251-6581-12-43
- Bolhuis GG. 1954. The toxicity of cassava roots. Neth J Agric Sci 2: 176-185.
- Akiyama H, Toida T, Sakai S, Amakura Y, Kondo K, Sugita-Kunishi Y, Maitani T. 2006. Determination of cyanide and thiocyanate in Sugihirata Ke Mushroom using HPLC method with fluorimetric detection. J Health Sci 52: 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.52.73
- Rispail N, Morris P, Webb KJ. 2005. Phenolic compounds: extraction and analysis. In Lotus japonicus Handbook. Marquez AJ, ed. Springer Publishing Co., New York, NY, USA. p 349-354.
- Litvinenko VI, Makarov VA. 1969. The alkaline hydrolysis of flavonoid glycosides. Chem Nat Compd 5: 305-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595062
- Bergey DH, Buchanan RE, Gibbon NE. 1975. Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA. p 1246.
- Barnett HL, Hunter BB. 1987. Illustrated general of imperfect fungi. 4th ed. Macmillan, New York, NY, USA. p 240.
- Apea-Bah FB, Oduro I, Ellis WO, Safo-Kantanka O. 2011. Factor analysis and age at harvest effect on the quality of flour from four cassava varieties. World J Dairy & Food Sci 6: 43-54.
- Ihediohanma NC. 2011. Determination of the glycemic indices of three different cassava granules (Garri) and the effect of fermentation period on their glycemic responses. Pak J Nutr 10: 6-9. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2011.6.9
- Fasanmade AA, Antakudo MMC. 2007. Glycemic indices of selected Nigerian flour meal products in male type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetol Croat 36: 33-38.
Teow CC, Truong VD, McFeeters RF, Thompson RL, Pecota KV, Yencho GC. 2007. Antioxidant activities, phenolic and
$\beta$-carotene contents of sweet potato genotypes with varying flesh colours. Food Chem 103: 829-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.09.033
- Influence of Tapioca Starch on Thermal Properties of Wheat Flour-Based Batter and Quality of Fried Battered Chicken Wingsticks vol.0, pp.0, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1515/ijfe-2015-0017
- Recent advances in the production of partially substituted wheat and wheatless bread vol.240, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-014-2362-1
- Evaluating the nutritional and sensory quality of bread, cookies and noodles made from wheat supplemented with root tuber flour vol.119, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-09-2016-0414