- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis to Select Filter Media and The Treatment Effect of Non-point Pollution Source in Road Runoff
- Lee, Tae Goo (Semyung University, Depart. of Architecture Engineering) ;
- Han, Young Hae (Eco-Arche Institute of Ecological Urban Design & Architecture)
- Received : 2014.03.17
- Accepted : 2014.05.12
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study selected and analyzed filter media that can be applied in non-point pollution reduction devices aimed at processing the source of pollution on site for road runoff that increases rapidly in rainfall-runoff in order to improve the water quality of urban areas. First, the factors that affect the quality of runoff caused by sources of non-point pollution include physical and social factors such as the usage of land around the area of water collection, type of pavement and movement of cars and people, as well as rainfall characteristics such as frequency, intensity, amount and duration of rainfall. Second, the purification tests of the filter media were processed for pH, BOD, COD and T-P, and the filter media showed to have initial purification effect at that items. However, the filter media showed to be very effective for the processing of SS, T-N, Zn and Cd from the beginning to the end. Third, for filter media, zeolite and vermiculite showed to be effective for processing SS, T-N, Zn and CD constantly, and composite filter media including zeolite showed to have strong processing effects. The authors conclude that this study can be applied to technical areas and policies aimed at reducing non-point pollution in urban areas and can also contribute to allowing eco-friendly management of rainfall as well as improvement of water quality.
- Yoon, YS. (2009), A Study on Treatment of First Flush Rainwater using Media, The Graduate School of Industry and Engineering Seoul. National University of Science and Technology.
- Semyung Univ. (2013), A Study on Rainwater Management System to respond to Climate Change in Urban Area. Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement.
- Son, JW (2009), Nonpoint source pollution monitoring from individual land uses and loading estimate using SWMM model in urban area, Kon-Kuk Univ.
- Oh, JI. Park, SW. Choi,YW. (2005), "Characteristics of Non-point Pollutants from the Road Runoff", Korean Society of Water Quality, Vol.2005. pp.430-435).
- Lee, YG (2007), Study on the optimum selection of Non-Point pollutants control facility in the region of Total Water Pollution Load Management. The Univ. Seoul. Dept. Environmental Engineering Graduate School.
- Lee, JH (2006), A Study on treatment of first flush rainwater for reducing non-point source pollution, The Univ. Seoul. Dept. Environmental Engineering Graduate School.
- Choi, SG (2013), Analysis of Filter-type Facility's Treatment efficiency to Reduce Non-point Pollution Sources, The Graduate School of Industry and Engineering Seoul. National University of Science and Technology.
- Hwang, SY (2008), Runoff Characteristics Analysis of Nonpoint Pollution Sources in Small Urban during First Rainfall using Urbanization Runoff Model. The Graduate School of Industry and Engineering Seoul. National University of Science and Technology.
- Go, SH et al. (2009), Characterization of Stormwater Pollutants and Estimation of Unit Loads for Road and Parking Lot in Kyeongan Watershed. Meung-Gi Unvi)
- Kim, HJ et al. (2010), A study on design of the retarding basin for reducing non-point source pollution, HongIk Univ)