- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Characteristics of Environmental Impact in Construction Sector of High-Speed Railway using LCA
LCA를 이용한 고속철도 건설단계에서의 환경부하 특성에 관한 연구
- Lee, Cheol (Eland Service) ;
- Lee, Jae-Young (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Jung, Woo-Sung (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Hwang, Young-Woo (Department of Environmental Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2014.01.17
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study investigates the characteristics of environmental impact from the construction phase of a high-speed railway through a Life Cycle Assessment method based on the materials used and the energy consumption of the equipment used according to the design statement. The results reveal that the contributions to environmental impact in the construction sector of a high-speed railway were 89% for civil engineering, 7% for the track system, 2% for stations and 2% for the energy and telecommunication system. In particular, the highest contribution to the impact in the civil engineering category were 54% for Global Warming, 25% for Abiotic Resource Depletion and 8% for Photochemical Oxidant Creation. The main influence factors were the use of remicon and cement. In future, the application of Life Cycle Assessment for the construction sector of railway construction will introduce efficient reduction methods according to the quantitative calculation of environmental impact.
- J.Y. Lee, W.S.Jung, I.H. Hwang, Y.K. Kim. (2011) The evaluation of GHG emissions in railroad construction sector, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 14(3), pp. 271-276. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.3.271
- J.Y Lee, Y.K Kim, H.T Yoon, Y.H Yang. (2005) Evaluation of environmental impacts for the bogie of electric motor unit (EMU) using simplified life cycle assessment(S-LCA), Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 8(6), pp. 581-585.
- Woo-Sung Jung, et al. (2012) A study on the calculation of carbon footprint under construction of railroad infrastructure in Korea, final report, Korea Railroad Research Institute.
- ISO 14041, Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis (1998).
- ISO 14042, Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - Life cycle impact assessment (1999).
- ISO 14043, Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - Life cycle interpretation (2000).
- C. Lee (2014) Comprehensive environmental impact assessment of construction phase in high speed railway using LCA, Master Thesis, Inha University
- F. Anna, V.M Fredrik. (2004) Tools for environmental assessment of the built environment, Building and Environment, 39(2), pp. 223-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2003.09.004
- L. Zoubir, D. Lyne. (2007) Environmental benefits of life design of concrete bridges, 3rd International Conference on Life Cycle Management, Zurich, Switzerland, Aug27-29, #293, pp. 1-6.
- A.B Gian (2009) Life cycle of building, demolition and recycling potential: A case study in Turin, Italy, Building and Environment Review, 44(2), pp 319-330 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2008.03.007
- C. Lee, W.S Jung, J.Y Lee, H.J Cha (2012) A study on the calculation of specific carbon emission factor with civil sector at high speed railway construction, Proceedings of Korean Society for Railway Conference, Korea, pp. 514-518.
- J.M Park (2011) A case study on the environmental assessment of highway construction by using LCA, Master Thesis, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology.
- J.S Moon (2009) LCA analysis and case study of environment factors for highway construct project, Master Thesis, Gyengsang National University
- K.H Park, Y.W Hwang, S.W Seo, J.H Park. (2000) Environmental load evaluation through the life cycle of highway. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 20(30-D), pp. 311-321.
- T.H Hong, C.Y Ji, K.B Jeong. (2012) Environmental impact assessment of buildings based on life cycle assessment (LCA) methodology, Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 13(5), pp. 84-93. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.5.084
- Comparison Analysis of the Environmental Impact of VSL Anchors and RBanchors Using a Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA) vol.18, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.6.558