- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Freshwater Discharge on Seawater and Sediment Environment in a Coastal Area in Goheung County, South Korea
Nguyen, Hoang Lam;Jang, Min-Seok;Cho, Hyeon-Seo
- Received : 2014.06.02
- Accepted : 2014.06.25
- Published : 2014.06.30
Seasonal characteristics of water and sediment qualities and potential effects of the freshwater discharge from a small tide embankment interior in a coastal area in Goheung county were investigated from May to September in 2012. Chemical oxygen demand values (COD) were mostly higher than 2 mg/L in summer ebb tide, which exceed the standard value of water quality criteria II of acceptable level for aquaculture activities. Nitrogen and phosphorus were found as the limiting nutrients for algae growth in summer and fall and in spring, respectively. Nitrogen was the limiting nutrient for diatom growth in the whole studied period. The sudden high values of COD, ammonia, dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN), dissolved inorganic phosphorus (DIP) were found in water sample collected from station 5 which located in front of the tide embankment sluice gate during spring ebb tide. The freshwater discharge form the tide embankment interior maybe affected the survey areas during a short time interval. Mean values of eutrophication index of the surveyed coastal region in spring, summer and fall were all bigger than 1. Water quality was mostly considered at level II which acceptable for aquaculture activities. Sediment quality in this study was generally in the range of standard for fisheries environment.
Tide embankment;Freshwater discharge effect;Seawater quality;Sediment environment;Goheung coast
- Korea Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2010), Standard examination process for marine environment, p. 461 (In Korean).
- Lee, D. I., H. S. Cho, G. H. Lee and M. O. Lee(2003a), Temporal and spatial fluctuations of coastal water quality and effect of small tide embankment in the Muan Peninsula of Korea. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 24-26 (In Korean).
- Lee, D. I., H. S. Cho and M. O. Lee(2003b), Effect of the freshwater discharge on water quality variation and in Haechang bay, Korea. Journal of Environmental Impact Assesment, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 341-348 (In Korean).
- Li, Y., D. J. Li, J. L. Tang, Y. M. Wang, Z. G. Liu, P. X. ding and S. Q. He(2007), Phytoplankton distribution and variation in the Yangtze River Estuary and its adjacent sea. Environmental Science 28, pp. 719-729.
- Marine Environmental Policy Bureau of Korea(2011), Framework Act on Environmental Policy (In Korean).
- Primpas, I., G. Tsirtsis, M. Karydis and G. D. Kokkoris (2010), Principal component analysis: Development of a multivariate index for assessing eutrophication according to the European water framework directive. Ecological Indicators 10, pp. 178-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2009.04.007
- Ramus, J., L. A. Eby, C. M. McClellan and L. B. Crowder (2003), Phytoplankton forcing by a record freshwater discharge event into a large lagoonal estuary. Estuaries 26, pp. 1344-1352. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02803636
- Brzezinski, M. A.(1985), The Si:C:N ratio of marine diatom: interspecific variability and the effect of some environmental variables, Journal of Phycology 21, pp. 347-357.
- Cho, H. S., G. H. Lee and M. O. Lee(1998), Seasonal fluctuations of water quality and effect of small tide embankment in coastal water around Muan Penisula of Korea. Proceedings of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering (Fall), pp. 213-219 (In Korean).
- Druon, J. N., W. Schrimpf, S. Dobricic and A. Stips(2002), The physical environment as a key factor in assessing the eutrophication status and vulnerability of shallow seas: PSA and EUTRISK (v1.0), Project "COAST" EUR 20419 EN, European Commission Joint Research Center.
- EC(2000), Directive of the European Parliament of the Council 2000/60/EC establishing a framework for community action in the field of Water Policy Journal of the European Communities, Brussels L 327, pp. 1-72.
- Japan Association of Fisheries Resource Preservation(1980), p. 552 (In Japanese).
Supported by : Chonnam National University