- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Wave Run-up Height and Depression Depth around Air-water Interface-piercing Circular Cylinder
- Received : 2014.05.16
- Accepted : 2014.06.25
- Published : 2014.06.30
In this paper, the wave run-up height and depression depth around air-water interface-piercing circular cylinder have been numerically studied. The Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes equations (RANS) and continuity equations are solved with Reynolds Stress model (RSM) and volume of fluid (VOF) method as turbulence model and free surface modeling, respectively. A commercial Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software "Star-CCM+" has been used for the current simulations. Various Froude numbers ranged from 0.2 to 1.6 are used to investigate the change of air-water interface structures around the cylinder and experimental data and theoretical values by Bernoulli are compared. The present results showed a good agreement with other studies. Kelvin waves behind the cylinder were generated and its wave lengths are longer as Froude numbers increase and they have good agreement with theoretical values. And its angles are smaller with the increase of Froude numbers.
CFD;Interface-piercing circular cylinder;Wave run-up;Depression depth;Free surface
- Lee, S., S. Han, Y. Choi, S. Kwon, D. Jung and S. Park(2013), Study on Wave Run-Up Phenomenon over Vertical Cylinder. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 62-67. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.4.062
- Choi, J. and S. Yoon(2009), Numerical Simulation Using Momentum Source Wave-maker applied to RANS Equation Model. Coastal Engineering, Vol. 56, pp. 1043-1060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2009.06.009
- Ferziger, J. H. and M. Peric(2003), Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics. Springer, Berlin, 3rd edition.
- Hey, A. D.(1947), Flow about Semi-Submerged Cylinders of Finite Length, Princeton University Report.
- Muzaferija, S., M. Peric, P. Sames and T. Schellin(1998), A Two-Fluid Navier-Stokes Solver to Simulate Water Entry. In Proc 22nd Symposium Naval Hydrodynamics, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 277-289.
- Kristiansen, T., R. Baarholm and C. T. Stansberg(2004), Validation of Second-order Analysis in Predicting Diffracted Wave Elevation around a Vertical Circular Cylinder. Proc. 14th ISOPE Conf., pp. 342-349.
- Stansberg, C. T. and H. Braaten(2002), Nonlinear Wave Disturbance around a Vertical Cylinder Column. Proc. 21st OMAE Conf., pp. 1-7.
- Suh, J., J. Yang and F. Stern(2011), The Effect of Air-Water Interface on the Vortex Shedding from a Vertical Circular Cylinder. Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 27, pp. 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2010.09.001
- Sung, H. G., Y. S. Kim, B. W. Nam and S. Y. Hong(2007), Experimental Investigation of Wave Loads on a Truncated Vertical Circular Cylinder. Proceedings of The Korean Society of Ocean Engineering Conference, pp. 105-111.
- Yu, G., E. J. Avital and J. J. R. Williams(2008), Large Eddy Simulation of Flow Past Free Surface Piercing Circular Cylinders. Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 130, pp. 101304.1-101304.9.
- Akira, H., J. Yang and F. Stern(2013), Toward Wall Modeling in Cartesian Grid Solver Using Overset Grid Technique for Ship Hydrodynamics. Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting FEDSM2013. Incline Village, Nevada, USA, pp. 1-7.
- Bhushan, S., F. Stern and L. J. Doctors(2011), Verification and validation of URANS wave resistance for air cushion vehicles, and comparison with linear theory. Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 249-267. https://doi.org/10.5957/JOSR.55.4.100055
- Chaplin, J. R. and P. Teigen(2003), Steady Flow past a Vertical Surface-Piercing Circular Cylinder. Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 18, pp. 271-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2003.07.009
- A Numerical Simulation of Wave Run-up Around Circular Cylinders in Waves vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.6.750
Supported by : Changwon National University