- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Review of Environmental Health Research through Crowdsourcing
크라우드소싱(crowdsourcing)을 이용한 환경보건 연구 방법의 고찰
- Lee, Boram (Department of Environmental Health and Institute of Health and Environment, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Kiyoung (Department of Environmental Health and Institute of Health and Environment, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2014.03.26
- Accepted : 2014.05.21
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: The development of technology can be beneficial for the life and health of human society. Crowdsourcing refers to drawing upon a large pool of individuals in order to seek services, ideas, or other contributions. With the development of information communication technology, crowdsourcing is able to provide powerful results in environmental health research. Methods: We searched 'crowdsourcing' and 'citizen science' for keywords related to the environmental health field and only selected journal articles and conference proceedings material, such as research reports and WHO reports. Results: This paper reviewed environmental health research using crowdsourcing. Examples of such research based on crowdsourcing included practices in environmental disasters, noise monitoring, global positioning system (GPS) technology, smart phones, attached portable devices and information delivery by web. Crowdsourcing methods can provide notably distinct approaches for future environmental health research. However, it is also important to protect personal information whenever crowdsourcing is applied to data generation and information dissemination. Conclusion: We expect that this review may provide useful information for the development of new environmental health research methods using crowdsourcing and citizen science.
Citizen science;Crowdsourcing;Environmental health;mHealth;Smart phone
Supported by : 보건복지가족부
- Nkosi MT, Mekuria F. Cloud computing for enhanced mobile health applications. Cloud Computing Technology and Science. 2010; 629-633.
- Rudkin SE, Langdorf M, Macias D, Oman JA, Kazzi AA, Personal digital assistants change management more often than paper texts and foster patient confidence. Eur J Emerq Med. 2006; 13(2): 92-96. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mej.0000192049.04729.0c
- Chen Z, Fang L, Chen L, Dai H. Comparison of an SMS text messaging and phone reminder to improve attendance at a health promotion center: a randomized controlled trial. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2008; 9(1): 34-38. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B071464
- Liew S, Tong S, Lee VKM, Ng CJ, Leong K, Teng C. Text messaging reminders to reduce non-attendance in chronic disease follow-up: a clinical trial. Br J Gen Pract. 2009; 59(569): 916-920. https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp09X472250
- Stevens M, Ochab B. Participatory noise pollution monitoring using mobile phones. J Inform Polity. 2010; 15(1-2); 51-71.
- Sotiriadis S, Bessis N, Sant P, Maple C. From Grids to Clouds: A Collective Intelligence Study for Intercooperated Infrastructures. The Fourth International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences. 2010.
- Kanjo E. Noisespy: A real-time mobile phone platform for urban noise monitoring and mapping. Mobile Networks and Applications. 2010; 15(4): 562-574. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11036-009-0217-y
- Becker M, Caminiti S, Fiorella D, Francis L, Gravino P, Haklay MM, et al. Awareness and learning in participatory noise sensing. PLoS One. 2013; 8(12): e81638. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0081638
- Chon Y, Cha H. LifeMap: A Smartphone-Based Context Provider for Location-Based Services. IEEE Computer Society. 2011; 10(2): 59-67.
- KJ J, Myklebustd H, Wik L, Fellows B, Svensson L, Soreboc H, et al. Quality of out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation with real time automated feedback: A prospective interventional study. Resuscitation. 2006; 71(3) 283-292.
- Mun M, Reddy S, Shilton K, Yau N, Burke J, Estrin D, et al. PEIR, The Personal Environmental Impact Report, as a Platform for Participatory Sensing. Poland: ACM Press; 2009. p55-68.
- Gregoski MJ, Mueller M, Vertegel A, Shaporev A, Jackson BB, Frenzel RM, et al. Development and Validation of a Smartphone Heart Rate Acquisition Application for Health Promotion and Wellness Telehealth Applications. International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications. 2012; 7. [Doi: http:/ /dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/696324] https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/696324
- Oresko JJ, Jin Z, Cheng J, Huang S, Sun Y, Duschl H, et al. A Wearable Smartphone-Based Platform for Real-Time Cardiovascular Disease Detection Via Electrocardiogram Processing. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine. 2010; 14(3): 734-740. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITB.2010.2047865
- Leijdekkers P, Gay V. Personal Heart Monitoring and Rehabilitation System using Smart Phones. Mobile Business. 2006; 6: 26-27.
- Honicky RJ, Brewer EA, Paulos E, White RM. Nsmarts: networked suite of mobile atmospheric realtime sensors. In: Proceedings of the second ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Networked systems for developing regions. New York: ACM Press; 2008.
- Chun SA, Artigas F. Sensors and Crowdsourcing for Environmental Awareness and Emergency Planning. International Journal of E-Planning Research. 2012; 1(1): 56-74. https://doi.org/10.4018/ijepr.2012010106
- Bessis N, Asimakopoulou E, French T, NorringtonP, Xhafa F. The Big Picture, from Grids and Clouds to Crowds: A Data Collective Computational Intelligence Case Proposal for Managing Disasters. IEEE. 2010; 351-356.
- Paulos E, Honicky RJ, Hooker B. Citizen science: Enabling participatory urbanism. Handbook of Research on Urban Informatics. 2008; 414-436.
- Putnam R. Bowling Alone: America's Declining Social Capital. Journal of Democracy. 1955; 6(1): 65-78.
- Ihne E. Karte der Aufbluhzeit von Syringa vulgaris in Europa. Botanisches Centralblatt. 1885.
- Hopp RJ. Plant Phenology Observation Networks. Phenology and Seasonality Modeling Ecological Studies. 1974; 8: 25-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-51863-8_3
- Rietjens J, Snik F, Keller CU, Heinsbroek R, van Harten G, Heikamp S, et al. Crowdsourced aerosol measurements using smartphone spectropolarimeters. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. 2013.
- Poduri S, Nimkar A, Sukhatme gs. Visibility monitoring using mobile phones. 2010 Annual Report: Center for Embedded Networked Sensing. 2010; 125-127.
- Maisonneuve N, Stevens M, Niessen ME, Steels L. NoiseTube: Measuring and mapping noise pollution with mobile phones. Information Technologies in Environmental Engineering. 2009; 215-228.
- Heart rate variability based stress index service model using bio-sensor 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-0879-3