- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Depositional Characteristics of Atmospheric PBDEs on Pine Needles, Bark and Soil
대기 중 폴리브롬화디페닐에테르의 소나무 잎, 소나무 껍질 및 토양으로의 침착 특성
- Chun, Man Young (Department of Environmental Engineering, Hankyong National University)
- 천만영 (한경대학교 환경공학과)
- Received : 2014.04.21
- Accepted : 2014.06.02
- Published : 2014.06.30
Objective: This study was carried out in order to determine the depositional characteristics of pine needles, pine bark, and soil used as a passive air sampler (PAS) for atmospheric polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). Methods: All three media were sampled from the same site. The PBDE concentrations were analyzed by HRGC/HRMS, and the lipid contents were measured using the gravimetric method by n-hexane extraction. Results: The total PBDE concentration was the highest in soil (22,274.57 pg/g dry), followed by pine bark (20,266.39 pg/g dry), and then pine needles (7,380.22 pg/g dry). Pine needles contained the highest lipid contents (21.31 mg/g dry), whereas soil (10.01 mg/g dry), and pine bark (4.85 mg/g dry) contained less. There were poor correlations between lipid content and total PBDE concentrations in the media (
Bark;BPBDEs;Lipid contents;PAS;Pine needles;Soil
- Chun MY. Depositional characteristics of atmospheric PCBs in several media used passive air samplers. J Environ Health Sci. 2013; 39(2): 151-158.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of pine needles and soil as a passive sampler of PAHs in atmosphere. J Kor Soc Environ Analy. 2010; 13(4): 237-244.
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun MY, Sunwoo Y. Gas/particle concentrations and partitioning of PCBs in the atmosphere of Korea. Atmos Environ. 2003; 37(25): 3561-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(03)00361-3
- Cetin B, Odabasi M. Atmospheric concentrations and phase partitioning of polybrominated diphenyl ethers(PBDEs) in Izmir, Turkey. Chemosphere. 2008; 71(6): 1067-1078. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.10.052
- Wang ZY, Zeng XL, Zhai ZC. Prediction of supercooled liquid vapor pressures and n-octanol/air partition coefficients for polybrominated diphenyl ethers by means of molecular descriptors from DFT method. Sci Total Environ. 2008: 389(2-3): 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.08.023
- Chun MY. Depositional Characteristics of Atmospheric PCBs on Tree Barks. J Kor Soc Environ Analy. 2013; 16(2): 92-98.
- Aboal JR, Fernandez JA, Carballeira A. Sampling optimization, at site scale, in contamination monitoring with moss, pine and oak. Environ Pollut. 2001; 115(2): 313-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(01)00116-6
- Meredith M, Hites RA. Polychlorinated Biphenyl Accumulation in Tree Bark and Wood Growth Rings. Environ Sci Technol. 1987; 21(7): 709-712. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00161a013
- Pausch KW, McLachlan MS. Determination of the principal pathways of polychlorinated dibenzo-pdioxins and dibenzofurans to Lolium multiflorum( Rye grass). Environ Sci Technol. 1995; 29(4): 1090-1098. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00004a031
- Cetin B, Odabasi M. Atmospheric concentrations and phase partitioning of polybrominated diphenyl ethers(PBDEs) in Izmir, Turkey. Chemosphere. 2008; 71: 1067-1078. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.10.052
- Heo JW, Kim DG, Song IL, Lee GW. Concentration and Gas-particle Partition of PCDDs/Fs and dl-PCBs in the Ambient Air of Ansan Area. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2010; 26(5) 517-532. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2010.26.5.517
- Mandalakis M, Besis A, Stephanou EG. Particlesize distribution and gas/particle partitioning of atmospheric polybrominated diphenyl ethers in urban areas of Greece. Environ Pollut. 2009; 157(4): 1227-1233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2008.12.010
- Ministry of Environment. Korea Standard Method of POPs analysis. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment Press; 2011.
- EPA. Brominated Diphenyl ethers in Water, Soil, Sediment and Tissue by HRGC/HRMS. available: http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/methods/method/ files/1614.pdf. [accessed 15 January 2014].
- Shoeib M, Harner T. Characterization and comparison of three passive samplers for persistent organic pollutants. Environ Sci Technol. 2002; 36(19): 4142-4151. https://doi.org/10.1021/es020635t
- Chun MY. A study on the deposition of PCBs in air on coniferous needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 1998; 20(10): 1377-1383.
- Chun MY. Sampling rate evaluation of atmospheric PAHs to pine needles for passive air sampler. J Kor Soc Environ Analy. 2011; 14(2): 83-88.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of PCDD/Fs deposited on pine needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2005; 27(6): 599-605.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of PAHs absorbed on pine needles. J Environ Toxicol. 2008; 23(3): 213-220.
- Chun MY. Estimation of PCBs concentrations in ambient air using pine needles as a passive air sampler( PAS). J Environ Health Sci. 2012; 38(4): 360-368.
- Chun MY. Deposition characteristics of PAHs on tree Leaves. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2001; 23(3): 921-930.
- Chun MY, Kim TW. Charateristics of PCDD/Fs deposited on regional pine needles and soil. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2005; 27(11): 1153-1161.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of atmospheric polybrominated diphenyl ethers(PBDEs) deposited on tree leaves. J Kor Soc Environ Analy. 2014; 17(1): 29-36.
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun M.Y. Composition, source, and regional concentration of PBDEs in pine needles. J Environ Health Sci. 2006; 28(8): 829-835.
- Hallgren S, Darnerud OP. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers(PBDEs), polychlorinated biphenyls(PCBs) and chlorinated paraffins(CPs) in rat-testing interactions and mechanisms for thyroid hormone effects. Toxicology. 2002; 177(2-3): 227-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00222-6
- UNEP. Stockholm Convention. Available: http://chm.pops.int [accessed 20 Februray 2014]
- Eitzer BD, Hites RA. Atmospheric transport and deposition of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans. Environ Sci Technol. 1989; 23(11): 1396-1401. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00069a011
- Gareth T, Sweetman AJ, Ockenden WA, Mackay D, Jones KC. Air-pasture transfer of PCBs. Environ Sci Technol. 1998; 32(7): 936-942. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970761a
- Bacci E, Cerejeira MJ, Gaggi C, Chemello G, Calamari D, Vighi M. Chlorinated dioxins: volatilization from soils and bioconcentration in plant leaves. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 1992; 48(3): 401-408.
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun MY, Kim TW, Sunwoo Y. Temperature dependence of PCBs in urban area of Seoul city. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2002; 18(3): 193-204.
- Falconer RL, Bidleman TF. Vapor pressures and predicted particle/gas distributions of polychlorinated biphenyl congeners as functions of temperature and ortho-chlorine substitution. Atmos Environ. 1994; 28(3): 547-554. https://doi.org/10.1016/1352-2310(94)90130-9
- Hayakawa K, Takatsuki H, Watanabe L, Sakai SI. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers(PBDEs), polybrominated dibenzo-p-dioxins/dibenzofurans(PBDD/Fs) and monobromo-polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins/ dibenzofurans(MoBPXDD/Fs) in the atmosphere and bulk deposition in Kyoto, Japan. Chemosphere. 2004; 57(5): 343-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.06.038
- Hinds WC. Aerosol Technology. Boston: A Wileyinterscience publication Press; 1982. p.127-132.
- Covaci V, Harrad S, Abdallah MAE, Ali N, Law RJ, Herzke D, et al. Novel brominated flame retardants : A review of their analysis, environmental fate and behaviour. Environ Int. 2011; 37(2): 532-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2010.11.007
- Wania F, Dugani CB. Assessing the long range transport potential of polybrominated diphenyl ethers : A comparison of four multimedia models. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2003; 22: 252-1261. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620220203
- Dodder NG, Strandberg B, Hites RA. Concentrations and spatial variations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and several organochlorine compounds in fishes from the northeastern United States. Environ Sci Technol. 2002; 36(2): 146-151. https://doi.org/10.1021/es010947g
- Hites RA. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the environment and in people: a meta-analysis of concentrations. Environ Sci Technol. 2004; 38(4): 945-956. https://doi.org/10.1021/es035082g
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun M.Y. Concentration and characteristic of PBDEs in pine needle and soil of Ansung-city. J Environ Health Sci. 2006; 32(2): 111-117.