- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Stress of Noise on Dental Technician
치과기공사의 소음 스트레스
- Lee, Ju Hee (Department of Dental Laboratory Technology, Daejeon Health Sciences college)
- 이주희 (대전보건대학교 치기공과)
- Received : 2014.05.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.26
- Published : 2014.06.30
Purpose: Production of dental prosthesis by a dental technician causes a loud noise. Thus, we investigated stress of dental technicians due to a noise using a structured questionnaire. Methods: A survey was conducted on working dental technicians across the country from July 2013 to November 2013; among 200 sets of survey distributed, 166 were completed and returned, and excluding the 11 that deemed unsuitable, 155 sets were used for statistics. The program SPSS 19.0 was used to analyze the correlation among the collected data. Results: The stress of noise was found to be 2.83/5 points (2.93/5 for physical stress, 2.72/5 for emotional stress). Recognition of noise was found to be 2.71/5 points (3.39/5 for recognition of noise, 2.64/5 for accidents caused by noise, 2.29/5 for experiencing disability due to noise). For general items, the highest stress were shown for the following catogories: by gender, females (p=.008); by position, chief engineer (p=.033); by monthly pay, 2.51M-3.0M KRW (p=.023); by interior comfort, 'very unpleasant' was the highest recognized (p=.014). For the effect of time exposed to noise, its stress (p=.000) and recognition (p=.000) rose with increase of time. Conclusion: Dental technicians performs tasks in work environments exposed to extreme noise. This research attempts to re-emphasize the necessity for improving the work environment for noise and provide measures of blocking noise and precaution.
Dental technician;Recognition of noise;Stress of noise
- Kim YM, Jeong IS. Change of stages and Related Factors for Wearing of Hearing Protection Device among Noisy Workplace- workers. J. Korean Acad Nurs, 40(5): pp.736-746, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.736
- Kwon SS, Moon HJ, Shin MS, Kim YS. A Study on the Health Status of Dental Technicians by Todai Health Index (THI). Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 9(2), pp.169-179, 2009.
- Lee GT. Study on the Trends and Problems of Noise Measuring and Rating Method. Theses Collection of The Institute of Advanced Materials, June (8), pp.225-255, 1997.
- Ministry of Labor, 2008. Employees health examination results(Issue Brief No. 11-1490000-000066-10). Seoul: Author, January 2010 .
- Shin DY. The Relation Between the Present Status of a Noise within the Dental Laboratory and Stress. Dept. of Community Health The graduate School of Social Development Chung-Ang University, pp1-4, 2004.
- Cho SY, Nam SY. A study on the Noise by Working Process in Dental Laboratory. J.Kor.Env. Hygi. Sci., 2(1): pp.97- 107, 1992.
- Hong YH. Evaluation of Work Environment and Occupational Exposure to Dental Technicians. Department of Public Health The Graduate School, Catholic University of Daegu, 2011.
- Im BC. Gyeong jin Min. A Study on the Occupational Diseases of the Dental Technicians and the Related Factors in Korea. Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 18(2): pp.41-156, 2001.
- Kim JH. development of stress measurement tools and analysis of related factors in korean dental laboratory technicians. PhD thesis, Catholic University, 2000.
- Kim JS. Noise exposure assessment and noise reduction efficiency comparison according to improvement in a petrochmical plant. Unpublished master's thesis, University of Catholic University Deagu, 2008.
- Kim NJ, Kwon JK, Lee JH. The Impact of Noise Expose on the Hearing Threshold Extended High Frequency. Korean J Occup Environ Med, 20(2), pp.81-92, 2008.