- Volume 58 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Exploring the Effects of Grouping by Learning Style of Gifted-Student in Science on the Verbal Interaction
과학 영재들의 학습양식에 따른 소집단 구성이 언어적 상호작용에 미치는 영향 탐색
- Received : 2014.05.07
- Accepted : 2014.06.22
- Published : 2014.08.20
The importance of small group activity has recently been emphasized in the gifted education in science because of the increased needs to foster the human resources that could explore through the communication and collaboration. In this study, we investigated the characteristics of the verbal interaction according to the learning styles of the gifted-students in science in the small group activity and examined how learning style affected the interaction within a group in order to seek an effective grouping strategy. The competition, cooperative, and dependent students with learning style in the small group 1 and the cooperative, cooperative, dependent students in the small group 2 were assigned by the 6 science high school students. The analyses of the results revealed that the small group 1 showed the asymmetric interaction of the low level, whereas the small group 2 showed the symmetric interaction of the high level. In other words, the frequencies of in-depth interaction in the small group 2 were higher than those in the small group 1, and also students in the small group 2 were equally involved in the activity rather than the small group 1. These results suggested that the grouping by the students' learning styles in the small group activity should affect significantly the participation decision in activity and the level of verbal interaction. Educational implications of theses findings were discussed.
Grouping in small group activity;Learning style;Verbal interaction;Gifted-student in science
- Lee, H. Y.; Chang, S. S.; Seong, S. K.; Lee, S. K.; Kang, S. J.; Choi, B. S. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2002, 22, 660-670.
- Chin, C.; Brown, D. E. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2000, 37, 109-138. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(200002)37:2<109::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-7
- Burns, J. C.; Okey, J. R.; Wise, K. C. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 1985, 22, 169-177. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660220208
- Hur, M. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 1993, 13, 334-340.
- Fraser, B. J. Science Education 1978, 62, 509-515. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730620411
- Grasha, A. F.; Reichmann, S. W. Student Learning Styles Questionnaire; University of Cincinatti Faculty Resource Center Publisher: Cincinatti, OH, 1975.
- Lim, C. J. Learning Style; Hyungseul Publishers: Seoul, 1996.
- Beebe, S. A.; Masterson, J. T. Communicating in Small Groups: Principles and Practices, 5th ed.; Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers: New York, 1997.
- Gouran, D. S. Central States Speech Journal 1973, 24, 91-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/10510977309363152
- Han, K. L.; Park, H. G.; Ryu, J. I. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education 2011, 30, 51-60.
- Park, J. Y.; Lee, K. Y. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2012, 32, 686-702. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.4.686
- Oetzel, J. G. Small Group Research 2001, 32, 19-54. https://doi.org/10.1177/104649640103200102
- Chung, D. H.; Cho, K. S.; Yoo, D. Y. Journal Korean Earth Science Society 2013, 34, 148-161. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2013.34.2.148
- Yoo, M. H. Journal of Science Education for the Gifted 2012, 4, 43-64.
- Ko, Y. N. The Korea Educational Review 2004, 10, 239-259.
- Johnson, D. W.; Johnson, F. Learning Together and Alone: Cooperative, Competitive, and Individualistic Learning; Allyn and Bacon Publishers: Boston, 1994.
- Hirsh, S.; Kummerow, J. Life Types; Warner Books Publishers: New York, NY, 1989.
- Zimmerman, B. J. Contemporary Educational Psychology 2000, 25, 82-91. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1016
- Sternberg, R. J. Thinking Style; Cambridge University Publishers: New York, 1997.
- Keefe, K. W. Learning Style Theory and Practice; NASSP Publishers: Virginia, 1987.
- Shin, J. H.; Seo, J. H.; Choi, J. H.; Kim, Y. N.; Kim, Y. K.; Lee, H. J. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education 2007, 25, 495-506.
- Grigorenko, E. L.; Sternberg, R. J. Exceptional Children 1997, 63, 295-312. https://doi.org/10.1177/001440299706300301
- Lim, H.; Noh, T. H. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2001, 21, 668-676.
- Lee, E. K.; Kang, S. J. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2008, 28, 130-138.
- Park, I. S.; Kang, S. H. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2012, 32, 210-235. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.2.210
- Seong, J. S. The Journal of Yeolin Education 2003, 11, 219-237.
- Hwang, S. G.; Rim, S. H.; Kim, I. P.; Kim, A. S. Research of Secondary Education 2004, 52, 383-396.
- You, J. Y.; Noh, T. H. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2012, 32, 671-685. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.4.671
- Ju, C. Y.; Choi, S. B. Journal Korean Earth Science Society 2008, 29, 474-486. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.6.474
- Engleberg, J. N.; Wynn, D. R. Working in Groups: Communication Principles and Strategies, 2nd ed.; Houghton Mifflin Publishers: Boston, 2000.
- Kim, S. H.; Kim, K. Y.; Lee, C. H. The Mathematical Education 2005, 44, 113-124.
- Lee, J. C.; Kang, S. M.; Huh, H. W. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education 2009, 19, 138-159.
- Han, K. S.; Heo, J. W. The Journal of Korean Educational Forum 2008, 7, 169-189.
- Ryu, S. J. The Analysis of the Process Elements and the Characteristics of Biologists' and Science-Gifted Students' Designing Experiment Activities. M.D. Thesis, Korean National University of Education, 2009.
- You, J. Y.; Park, Y. O.; Noh, T. H. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2011, 31, 986-997.
- Shuen, A. Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide; O'Reilly Media Publishers: CA, 2008.
- Siemens, G. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning 2005, 2, 3-10.
- Shalley, C.; Zhou, J.; Oldham, R. G. Journal of Management 2004, 30, 933-958.
- Kim, Y. C.; Jeon, H. S.; Park, K. S. Korean Journal of Educational Research 2002, 40, 129-158.
- Jeong, H. C.; Park, Y. S.; Hwang, D. J. Journal Korean Earth Science Society 2008, 29, 151-162. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.2.151
- Korean Educational Development Institute. The Future of Korean Education; Hakjisa Publishers: Seoul, 2011; pp39-53.