- Volume 24 Issue 1
The Effect of Combined Acupuncture Treatment on Acute Ankle Sprain: Case Series
급성 족관절 염좌에 대한 복합 침치료의 효과: 사례군 연구
- Cho, Nam-Hoon ;
- Kim, Mi-Riong ;
- Jeong, Hoon ;
- Kim, Dong-Sub ;
- Kim, Eun-Soo ;
- Park, Ji-Yong ;
- Park, Hyun-Min ;
- Lee, Jin-Ho ;
- Ha, In-Hyuk
- Received : 2013.11.05
- Accepted : 2013.11.15
- Published : 2014.01.31
The purpose of this study is to report the effect of combined acupuncture treatment on acute ankle sprain patients. The subjects included in this study were 15 acute ankle sprain patients who visited Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine from Oct. 15th, 2012 to Feb. 8th, 2013. We treated 15 patients with combined acupuncture treatment. The treatment consisted of Hwangrunhaedok-tang (Huanglianjiedutang) pharmacupuncture, electroacupuncture (applied to GB39, ST36 on the affected side), acupuncture (applied to TE17, SI6 on the unaffected side with Dong-Qi therapy). To assess the effect of treatment, the numeric rating scale (NRS) was applied before and after treatment. After first combined acupuncture treatment, the NRS scores significantly decreased from
Combined acupuncture treatment;Acute ankle sprain;NRS
- Fong DT, Hong Y, Chan LK, Yung PS, Chan KM. A systematic review on ankle injury and ankle sprain in sports. Sports Med. 2007;37(1):73-94. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200737010-00006
- Alt W, Lohrer H, Gollhofer A. Functional properties of adhesive ankle taping: neuromuscular and mechanical effects before and after exercise. Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20(4):238-45. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110079902000406
- Stefanini L, Marks R. Proprioception and recurrent ankle inversion injuries - a narrative review. 2003;31(1):25-39.
- Kemler E, van de Port I, Backx F, van Dijk CN. A systematic review on the treatment of acute ankle sprain: brace versus other functional treatment types. Sports Med. 2011;41(3):185-97. https://doi.org/10.2165/11584370-000000000-00000
- Anandacoomarasamy A, Barnsley L. Long term outcomes of inversion ankle injuries. Br J Sports Med. 2005;39(3): e14. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2004.011676
- Kerkhoffs GM, Rowe BH, Assendelft WJ, Kelly KD, Struijs PA, van Dijk CN. Immobilisation for acute ankle sprain. A systematic review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2001;121(8):462-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004020100283
- Kim KS, Cho NG. 염좌(捻挫)의 침치료에 관한 연구. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 1995;12(1):73-8.
- Han KJ, Oh MS, Choi SH. Clinical research on effect by the technique of auricular acupuncture therapy on ankle sprain. Daejeon University Institute of Oriental Medicine Collection of Theses. 2004;13(1):287-93.
- Kim KY. The effects of alphabet exercise with SSP electrotherapy on lateral ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2004;16(2):323-31.
- Hwang JS, Lim DJ, Hwang JH, Cho HS, Kim KH. Study of the effect of blood-letting cupping treatment for acute ankle sprain: a randomize controlled trial. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2005;22(3):243-52.
- Yoon HS, Kim SH, Jeong KS, Park SK, Ahn HJ. The study on the effects of Dong-Qi acupuncture therapy for the patient with ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2005;22(4): 65-72.
- Kim YI, Kim YH, Lee H, Lee BR. Clinical comparison studies on 26 cases of patient with ankle sprain with acupuncture treatment group & trigger point treatment group. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2001;18(5):50-9.
- Kang I, Moon JY, Lim MJ, Cho JH, Lee HE. The com parison study between different interventions for treating acute ankle sprain -Using dry needle, bee venom acupuncture, hwangryunhaedoktang herbal acupuncture-. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2008;25(5):89-95.
- Seo JW, Park MJ, Sung IH, Kim NO, Ahn CK. A clinical study of bee venom acupuncture therapy on the treatment of acute ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2006; 23(1):95-103.
- Park JM, Yoon MS, Woo I, Park WS, Youn YS, Jung SY, Kim SY, Lee JS. The effect of ankle meridian tendinomusculature taping on lateral ankle sprain; randomized controlled clinical study. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2006;16(1):63-71.
- Choi YJ, Kim JH, Yoon KJ, Yeo IH, Lee CK, Lee EY, Roh JD. Comparative study of general oriental medical treatment with or without ankle joint chuna therapy on ankle sprain. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2012;7(2):109-17.
- Shim YS, Song HS. Effect of manipulation complex therapy on ankle sprain with ankle pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2013;30(2):65-71.
- Hahm TS. The effect of 2 Hz and 100 Hz electrical stimulation of acupoint on ankle sprain in rats. J Korean Med Sci. 2007;22(2):347-51. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2007.22.2.347
- Kim HY, Koo ST, Kim JH, An K, Chung K, Chung JM. Electroacupuncture analgesia in rat ankle sprain pain model: neural mechanisms. Neurol Res. 2010;32(1):10-7. https://doi.org/10.1179/016164109X12537002793689
- Lee YH, Kim CW, Lim CS, Lee KH. Clinical study on 21 cases of burning acupuncture therapy on ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2012;29(4):19-24.
- Jung HK, Jeong YP, Chiang SY, Lee JE, Wi J, Im JA, Gim JH, Ryu CY, Cho MR, Yun YC. The comparative study on the acupuncture at affected limb and unaffected limb on treating ankle sprain of acute stage. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2008;25(3):107-13.
- Kim DJ, Choi YJ, Kim DH, Um JY, Song GH, Lee JS, Cho NG. The comparison of effectiveness between near acupuncture point needling and remote acupuncture point needling on treating ankle sprain of acute stage. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2007;24(4):25-33.
- Ahn HJ, Jeong DH, Hwang KS, Yoon KB, Kim TW, Moon JH, Baek JY, Lee SM. The comparative study on the dong-si acupuncture therapy and general acupuncture therapy for the patient with ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2003;20(1):120-30.
- Lee H. The comparative study on the bee-venom therapy and common acupuncture therapy for the acute ankle sprain. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2004;21(4):133-43.
- Balduini FC, Tetzlaff J. Historical perspectives on injuries of the ligaments of the ankle. Clin Sports Med. 1982; 1(1):3-12.
- You TS, Park DS, Kang SK. Clinical observations on treatment of ankle-sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2004;21(1): 168-75.
- Seah R, Mani-Babu S. Managing ankle sprains in primary care: what is best practice? A systematic review of the last 10 years of evidence. Br Med Bull. 2011;97:105-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldq028
- Park JS, Kim WY, Baek ST, Lee SD, Kim KS. Comparison of superficial and deep acupuncture in the treatment of ankle sprain: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2004;21(5):137-47.
- Koh DH, Park DS, Shin WS, Song CH. The effect of a proprioceptive exercise and conservative therapy for functional recovery of subacute ankle sprain. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 2008;26(2):167-74.
- Cha SH, Kim JS. The effects of balance exercises on functional ankle stability with ankle sprained patients. Health & Sports Medicine. 2009;11(2):73-83.