- Volume 38 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Modeling of Capillary Filling Length in Silwet L-77 Added Poly(Dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS) Microchannels
Silwet L-77 이 포함된 Polydimethylsiloxane(PDMS) 마이크로 채널의 유동 길이 모델링
- Lee, Bom-Yee (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Bong-Kee (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2014.02.21
- Accepted : 2014.06.11
- Published : 2014.08.01
In the present study, simple models were proposed to predict the capillary-driven flow length in a surfactant-added poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS) rectangular microchannel. Owing to the hydrophobic nature of PDMS, it is difficult to transport water in a conventional PDMS microchannel by means of the capillary force alone. To overcome this problem, microchannels with a hydrophilic surface were fabricated using surfactant-added PDMS. By measuring the contact angle change on the surfactant-added PDMS surface, the behavior was investigated to establish a simple model. In order to predict the filling length induced by the capillary force, the Washburn equation was modified in the present study. From the investigation, it was found that the initial rate-of-change of the contact angle affected the filling length. Simple models were developed for three representative cases, and these can be useful tools in designing microfluidic manufacturing techniques including MIcroMolding In Capillaries (MIMIC).
Capillary Force;Poly(dimethylsiloxane)(PDMS);Surfactant;Rectangular Microchannel
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Lee, C.-j., Lee, S.-k., Park, G.-h. and Kim, B.-m., 2008, "The Evaluation of Surface and Adhesive Bonding Properties for Cold Rolled Steel Sheet for Automotive Treated by Ar/O2 Atmospheric Pressure Plasma," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 354-361. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.4.354
- Kim, Y.C., Kim, S.-H., Kim, D., Park, S.-J. and Park, J.-K., 2010, "Plasma Extraction in a Capillary- Driven Microfluidic Device Using Surfactant-Added Poly(dimethylsiloxane)," Sens. Actuators B-Chem., Vol. 145, No. 2, pp. 861-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2010.01.017
- Washburn, E.W., 1921, "The Dynamics of Capillary Flow," Phys. Rev., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 273-283. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.17.273
- Kim, H. W., Park, S. J., Lee, B.-K. and Kim, D. S., 2013, "Versatile Graphene Nanocomposite Microheater Patterning for Various Thermoplastic Substrates Based on Capillary Filling and Transfer Molding," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 10, pp. 101-907.
- Kim, E., Xia, Y. and Whitesides, G. M., "Polymer Microstructures Formed by Moulding in Capillary," Nature, Vol. 376, No. 6541, pp. 581-584.
- Ichikawa, N., Hosokawa, K. and Maeda, R., 2004, "Interface Motion of Capillary-Driven Flow in Rectangular Microchannel," J. Colloid Interface Sci., Vol. 280, No.1, pp. 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.07.017
- Yang, D., Krasowska, M., Priest, C., Popescu, M. N. and Ralston, J., 2011, "Dynamics of Capillary-Driven Flow in Open Microchannels," J. Phys. Chem. C., Vol. 115, No. 38, pp. 18761-18769. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp2065826
- Stemme, E. and Stemme, G., 1993, "A Valveless Diffuser/Nozzle-based Fluid Pump," Sens. Actuat. A, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 159-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-4247(93)80213-Z
- Olsson, A., Larsson O., Holm J., Lundbladh, L., Ohman O. and Stemme G., 1998, "Valve-less Diffuser Micropumps Fabricated using Thermoplastic Replication," Sens. Actuat. A, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 63-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(98)80059-9
- Berg, J. M., Anderson, R., Anaya, M., Lahlouh, B., Holtz, M. and Dallas, T., 2003, "A Two-stage Discrete Peristalic Micropump," Sens. Actuat. A, Vol. 104, No. 1, pp. 6-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(02)00434-X
- Kirby, B. J., 2010, Micro- and Nanoscale Fluid Mechanics: Transport in Microfluidic Devices, Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 131-152.
- Makamba, H., Kim, J. H., Lim, K., Park, N. and Hahn, J. H., 2003, "Surface Modification of Poly (dimethylsiloxane) Microchannels," Electrophoresis, Vol. 24, No. 21, pp. 3607-3619. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.200305627
- Anderson, J. R., Chiu, D. T., Jackman, R. J., Cherniavskaya, O., McDonald, J. C., Wu, H., Whitesides, S. H. and Whitesides, G. M., 2000, "Fabrication of Topologically Complex Three-Dimensional Microfluidic System in PDMS by Rapid Prototyping," Anal. Chem., Vol. 72, No. 14, pp. 3158-3164. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac9912294