- Volume 38 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Development of Intelligent Walking Assistive Robot Using Stereo Cameras
스테레오 카메라를 이용한 지능형 보행보조로봇의 개발
- Park, Min-Jong (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jung-Yup (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.08.01
This paper describes the development of a walking assistive robot for effective self-rehabilitation for elderly people facing an inconvenience in walking. The main features of the developed robot are enhanced safety and mobility using the baby walker and electric wheelchair mechanisms and an accurate walking tracking control algorithm using potentiometers and stereo cameras. Specifically, a pelvis supporter is designed to prevent the user from falling down and reduce the burden on their legs, and electric motors are used for easy locomotion with low effort. Next, the walking intention and direction of the user are automatically recognized by using potentiometers attached at the pelvis supporter so that the robot can track the user, and the rapidity and accuracy of the tracking were increased by applying a lower-body motion analysis algorithm with stereo cameras. Finally, the user-tracking performance of the developed robot was experimentally verified through stepwise walking assistance experiments.
Walking Assistive Robot;Stereo Camera
- Lacey, G., Namara, S. M. and Dawson-Howe, K. M., 1998, "Personal Adaptive Mobility Aid for the Infirm and Elderly Blind," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1458, pp. 211-220.
- Rodriguez-Losada, D., Matia, F., Jimenez, A., Galan, R. and Lacey, G., 2005, "Implementing Map Based Navigation in Guido, the Robotic SmartWalker," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 3401-3406.
- Spenko, M., Yu, H. and Dubowsky, S., 2006, "Robotic Personal Aids for Mobility and Monitoring for the Elderly", IEEE Transactions on Neural systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.344-351. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2006.881534
- Egawa, S., Nemoto, Y., Fujie, M. G., Koseki, A., Hattori, S. and Ishii, T., 1999, "Power-Assisted Walking Support System With Imbalance Compensation Control For Hemiplegics," the First Joint EMBS/BMES Conference. pp. 635.
- Graf, B., Hans, M., Kubacki, J. and Schraft, R. D., 2002, "Robotic Home Assistant Care-O-Bot II," the Second Joint EMBS/BMES Conference, pp. 2343-2344.
- Ceres, R., Pons, J. L., Calderon, L., Mesonero- Romanos, D., Jimenez, A. R., Sanchez, F., Abizanda, P., Saro, B. and Bonivardo, G., 2005, "Andador Activo Para la Rehabilitacion y el Mantenimiento de la Movilidad Natural," IMSERSO, Estudios I+D+I, No. 25, pp. 1-8.
- Kong, J. S., Lee, D. K., Nam, Y. S., Lee, B. H. and Lee, E. H., 2008, "Optimized Walking Will Recognizing System of the Walking Aid with the Fuzzy Algorithm," Journal of the Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 692-699. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2008.18.5.692
- Kim, J. Y., 2013, "Development of Ergonomic Walking Assistance Robot for the Elderly and the Infirm," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 600-606. https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2013.22.3.600