- Volume 38 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Three Dimensional Layering Algorithm for 3-D Metal Printing Using 5-axis
3 차원 금속 프린팅을 위한 다중 3 차원 적층 알고리듬(3DL)
- Ryu, Sua (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hongik Univ.) ;
- Jee, Haeseong (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Hongik Univ.)
- Received : 2014.04.21
- Accepted : 2014.05.27
- Published : 2014.08.01
The purpose of three-dimensional (3-D) metal printing using 5-axis is to deposit metal powder by changing the orientation of the deposited structure to be built for the overhang or undercut feature on part geometry. This requires a complicated preprocess functionality of providing three dimensionally sliced layers to cover the required part geometry. This study addresses the overhang/undercut problem in 3-D metal printing and discusses a possible solution of providing 3-D layers to be built using the DMT(R) machine.
3-D Printing;5-Axis;3-D Layering;Radial Gradient;Auto-Partitioning
- Zhiwen, Z. and Luc, Z., 2000, "Adaptive Direct Slicing of the Solid Model for Rapid Prototyping," International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp69-83 https://doi.org/10.1080/002075400189581
- Justin, T. and Bohn., J. H., 1998, "Local Adaptive Slicing," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp118-127 https://doi.org/10.1108/13552549810222993
- Weiyin, M., But, W.-C. and He, P., 2004, "NURBSBased Adaptive Slicing for Efficient Rapid Prototyping," Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 36, No. 13, pp1309-1325 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2004.02.001
- Kim, J. H. and Kim, J. J., 1998, "Slicing Using Orthogonal Arrays for Rapid Prototyping," J. Precis. Eng. Manuf, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp.169-174.
- Prabhjot, S. and Dutta, D., 2001, "Multi-Direction Slicing for Layered Manufacturing," Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.129-142. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1375816
- Lan, R., Sparks, T., Ruan, J. and Liou, F., 2010, "Integrated Process Planning for a Multiaxis Hybrid Manufacturing System." Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering," Vol. 132, No. 2, pp.021006-1-021006-7. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4001122
- Liou, F., Slattery, K., Kinsella, M., Newkirk, J., Chou, H.-N. and Landers, R., 2007, "Applications of a Hybrid Manufacturing Process for Fabrication of Metallic Structures," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.236-244. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540710776188
- Zhang, J. and Liou, F., 2013, "Multi-Axis Planning of a Hybrid Material Deposition and Removal Combined Process," Journal of Machinery Manufacturing and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 3., pp.46-57
- Jianzhong, R., Sparks, T. E., Panackal, A. and Liou, F. W., 2007, "Automated Slicing for a Multiaxis Metal Deposition System," Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 2, pp.303-310. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2673492
- Zhang, J. and Liou, F., 2004, "Adaptive Slicing for a Multi-Axis Laser Aided Manufacturing Process," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 126, pp.254-261. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1649966
- Sriram, P., and F. Liou, W., 2011, "Feasibility of Building an Overhang Structure Using Direct Metal Deposition," Proceeding of the 5th Annual ISC Research Symposium, pp.1-6.
- Banerjee, A. G., Kumar, A., Tejavath, S. and Choudhury, A. R., 2009, "Adaptive Slicing with Curvature Considerations," International Journal of CAD/CAM, Vol. 3, No. 1.
- Mohib and Cho, C., 2005, "Printing the Products: An Overview of the Three Dimensional Printing(3DP) Process," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, pp. 576-579