- Volume 38 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Joining Torque for Bit Depth of Subminiature Bolt
초소형 볼트의 비트 깊이에 따른 체결 토크 예측
- Lee, Hyun-Kyu (Dept. Mech. and Automotive Eng. Seoul Nat. Univ. of Sci. and Tech.) ;
- Park, Keun (Dept. Mech. System and Design Eng. Seoul Nat. Univ. of Sci. and Tech.) ;
- Ra, Seung-Woo (Technology Research Center, Seoul Metal) ;
- Kim, Jong-Bong (Dept. Mech. and Automotive Eng. Seoul Nat. Univ. of Sci. and Tech.)
- Received : 2014.04.17
- Accepted : 2014.05.27
- Published : 2014.08.01
Subminiature joining bolts are required for the electronic parts of gadgets such as mobile phones and watch phones. During the miniaturization of bolt heads, it is difficult to obtain sufficient joining force owing to the risk of shear fracture of the bolt head or severe plastic deformation on the bit region. In this study, the maximum joining torque for the bit depth was predicted using finite element analysis. A shear fracture test was conducted on a wire used in bolt forming. The results of this test were subjected to finite element analysis and a fracture criterion was obtained by comparing the experimental and analysis results. The shear fracture of the bolt head during joining was predicted based on the obtained criterion. Furthermore, the maximum joining torque was predicted for various bit depths. Fracture on the boundary between the bolt head and thread was found to occur in lower joining torque as bit depth increases.
Joining Torque;Subminiature Bolt;Bit Depth
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- Lee, J. M., Lee, M. U., Cho, S. K., Koo, M. H., Gimm, H. I. and Lee, T. H., 2009, "Strength Analysis of Bolt Joints for an Open Frame Structure," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp. 819-825. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.8.819
- Lim, E.-M., Huh, N.-S., Shim, H.-J., Oh, C.-K. and Kim, H.-S., 2013, "Structural Integrity Assessment of High-Strength Anchor Bolt in Nuclear Power Plant based on Fracture Mechanics Concept," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 7, pp. 875-881. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.7.875
- Jeong, H. S., Son, C. W., Cho, J. R. and Kim, T. H., 2013, "Study on Design of Coupling Bolt for Shaft in Power Plant," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 707-713. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.5.707
- Monaghan, J. M., 1991, "The Influence of Lubrication on the Design of Yield Tightened Joints," The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 123-132. https://doi.org/10.1243/03093247V262123
- Jiang, Y., Chang J. and Lee, C., 2000, "An Experimental Study of Torque-Tension Relationship for Bolted Joints," International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, Vol.16, pp. 417-429.
- Choi, W. M., Kwon, T. S., Jung, H. S. and Kim, J. S. 2011, "Relationship between External Shape on Fracture Area and Dynamic Fracture Characteristic of Shear Bolt," Trans. of the KSAE, Vol. 5, pp. 2435-2443.
- Kim, S. and Huh, H., 2008, "Crashworthiness Design of the Shear Bolts for Light Collision Safety Devices," International Journal of Modern Physics B, Vol. 22, pp. 5603-5608. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979208050887
- Cheong, W. Y., Park, T. W., Jung, S. P. and Chung, W. S., 2010, "Structure Optimization of a Nut for Prevention of Bolt Loosening," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 965-970. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.8.965
- ABAQUS, 2007, ABAQUS manual, Version 6.4, Dassault Systemes.
- Ugural, A. C., 2002, Mechanical design, McGRAW.Hill, New York, pp. 572-583.