- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Leader's Age and Leader Selection on Group Decision Making
리더의 나이와 리더 선출법이 집단 의사 결정에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.06.11
- Accepted : 2014.06.24
- Published : 2014.07.28
This research examined whether there are differences in group decision making between senior leader groups and junior leader groups. Results revealed that senior leaders contributed more during the discussion than junior leaders, and groups with senior leaders performed better than the groups with junior leaders. In post-discussion activities group members noted that senior leaders were able to represent their groups better, and showed better leadership during discussion. On the other hand, the leader's age impacted differently depending on leader selection methods. For senior leaders, leaders randomly assigned were perceived to be more beneficial to groups. However for junior leaders, leaders systematically selected were perceived to represent their groups better and exhibit better leadership. The interaction between leader's age and leader selection seems to arise from a difference of leader's power bases.
Group Decision Making;Leader's Age;Leader Selection;Power Base
- S. A. Haslam, C. McGarty, P. M. Brown, R. A. Eggins, B. E. Morrison, and K. J. Reynjuniors, "Inspecting the emperor's clothes: Evidence that random selection of leaders can enhance group performance," Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, Vol.2, pp.164-184, 1998.
- M. Cruz, D. D. Henningsen, and B. A. Smith, "The impact of directive leadership on group information sampling, decisions, and perceptions of the leader," Communication Research, Vol.26, No.3, pp.349-369, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365099026003004
- E. P. Hollander, Leadership dynamics: A practical guide to effective relationships, The Free Press, 1978.
- S. J. Heine, "Self as cultural product: An examination of East Asian and North American Selves," J. of Personality, Vol.69, pp.881-906, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6494.696168
- J. R. Larson Jr., P. G. Foster-Fishman, and C. B. Keys, "The discussion of shared and unshared information in decision-making groups," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.67, pp.446-461, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1246
- G. Stasser, D. D. Stewart, and G. Wittenbaum, "Expert roles and information exchange during discussion: The importance of knowing who knows what," J. of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.31, pp.244-265, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1006/jesp.1995.1012
- F. Walter and S. Scheibe, "A literature review and emotion-based model of age and leadership: New directions for the trait approach," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.24, pp.882-901, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.10.003
- J. R. P. French Jr., and B. H. Raven, "The bases of social power," In D. Cartwright(Ed), Studies in social power, pp.150-167, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959.
- R. G. Lord, R. J. Foti, and C. L. De Vader, "A test of leadership categorization theory: Internal structure, information processing, and leadership perceptions," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.34, No.3, pp.343-378, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(84)90043-6
- R. G. Lord and K. J. Maher, "Cognitive theory in industrial and organizational psychology," Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology, Vol.2, pp.1-62, 1991.
- 홍기원, 고재원, "문제해결 집단에서의 성격지각과 리더십 지각 간의 관계", 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제6권, 제3호, pp.107-127, 2003.
- J. W. Brehm, A theory of psychological reactance, Academic Press, 1966.
- C. R. Leana, "A partial test of Janis's groupthink model: Effects of group cohesiveness and leader behavior on defective desicion making," J. of Management, Vol.11, pp.5-17, 1985.
- R. S. Peterson, "A directive leadership style in group decision making can be both virtue and vice: Evidence from elite and experimental groups," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.72, pp.1107-1121, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- G. Stasser and W. Titus, "Pooling of unshared information in group decision making: Biased information sampling during discussion," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.48, pp.1467-1478, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527
- G. Stasser and W. Titus, "Effects of information load and percentage of shared information on the dissemination of unshared information during group discussion," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.53, pp.81-93, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- J. R. Larson Jr., C. Christensen, A. S. Abbott, and T. M. Franz, "Diagnosing grups: Charting the flow of information in medical decision-making teams," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.71, pp.315-330, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.115
- J. R. Larson Jr., "Modeling the entry of shared and unshared information into group discussion: A review and BASIC language computer program," Small Group Research, Vol.28, pp.454-479, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496497283007
- G. Stasser, L. A. Taylor, and C. Hanna, "Information sampling instructured and unstructured discussions of three-and six-person groups," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.57, pp.67-78, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- D. D. Henningsen, M. L. M. Henningsen, L. Jakobsen, and I. Borton, "It's good to be leader: The influence of randomly and systematically selected leaders on decision-making groups," Group Dynamics: Theory, Research and Practice, Vol.8, pp.62-76, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2622.214.171.124
- M. L. Flowers, "A laboratory test of some implications of Janis's group-think hypothesis," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.35, pp.888-896, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1998
- N. K. Clark and G. M. Stephenson, "Group remembering," In P. B. Paulus (Ed.), Psychology of group influence, Vol.2, pp.357-391, Lawrence Erlbaum, 1989.
- V. B. Hinsz, "Cognitive and consensus processes in group recognition memory performance," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, pp.705-718, 1990.
- G. E. Littlepage and H. Silbiger, "Recognition of expertise in decision-making groups: Effects of group size and participation patterns," Small Group Research, Vol.23, pp.344-355, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496492233005
- D. Gigone and R. Hastie, "The common knowledge effect: Information sharing and group judgment," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.65, pp.959-974, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.529
- M. F. Kaplan and C. E. Miller, "Judgments and group discussion: Effect of presentation and memory factors on polarization," Sociometry, Vol.40, pp.337-443, 1977. https://doi.org/10.2307/3033482