- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relation between Appearance Satisfaction and Self-efficacy in College Students
대학생의 외모만족도와 자기효능감의 관계
- Received : 2014.05.21
- Accepted : 2014.06.23
- Published : 2014.07.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the appearance satisfaction and self-efficacy of college students. The relation between appearance satisfaction and self-efficacy was also examined. The study adopted a descriptive survey design. The convenience sample consisted of 395 undergraduate college students from three universities in D city. The data were collected from May to July, 2011 using the Body Cathexis Scale and the Self Efficacy Scale. Data analysis was performed with SPSS WIN 21.0 Program. The scores on both scales showed a significant difference between male and female students, and the male students had higher scores. Male and female students had similar rank order of body part by satisfaction scores. There were significant correlations between appearance satisfaction scores and self-efficacy scores but there were no significant differences between the correlation coefficients in male and female students. This result indicates that the effect of appearance satisfaction on self-efficacy was similar in both male and female students. The findings of this study suggest that an intervention program to enhance appearance satisfaction is effective in increasing self-efficacy of college students.
Appearance;Satisfaction;Body Image;Self-efficacy;College Student
- P. F. Secord and S. M. Jourard, "The appraisal of body cathexis: Body cathexis and the self," Journal of Consulting Psychology, Vol.17, No.5, pp.343-347, 1954.
- J. E. Cha, A study for the general self-efficacy scale development, Ewha Woman's University, Master Thesis, 1997.
- T. G. Choo, "Multiple Body-Image and Clothing-Benefit Sought according to Body-Cathexis," Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, Vol.4, No.4, pp.376-382, 2002.
- H. R. Cho and J. Choi, "Relationship between Body Satisfaction and Appearance Enhancement Behavior of College Students," Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.16, No.4, pp.825-835, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.4.825
- S. C. Jang and M. H. Song, "Relationships between High School Students' Appearance Satisfaction and Self-esteem and Schoolrelated Adjustment," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.11, No.3, pp.115-133, 2004.
- A. Furnham and A. Calnan, "Eating disturbances, self-esteem, reasons for exercising and body weight dissatisfaction in adolescent males," European Eating Disorders Review, Vol.6, pp.58-72, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0968(199803)6:1<58::AID-ERV184>3.0.CO;2-V
- H. K. Oh, "A Study on Body Image, Self-esteem and Self-efficacy of Female Students in College," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.15, No.2, pp.278-286, 2003.
- S. H. Lim, The effect of appearance satisfaction on self-efficacy, Hankook University of Foreign Studies, Master Thesis, 2013.
- S. K. Chung and J. S. Park, "Weight Control Practices, Obesity and Body Image of Adolescent Girls," The Journal of Korean Society for Health Education, Vol.14, No.2, pp.171-184, 1997.
- H. K. Oh, "Phenomenological Analysis of Perception on Body Image of Female College Students," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.3, pp.289-300, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.289
- S. J. Lee, "The Effect of Flow on Learning and Self-efficacy on College Adaptation and Academic Achievement in Undergraduate Students," The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.25, No.2, pp.235-253, 2011.
- H. J. Kim and M. H. Lee, "The Effect of Self-Efficacy on Appearance Management Behavior of Male and Female College Students," Journal of the Korea Fashion and Costume Design Association, Vol.14, No.2, pp.33-47, 2012.
- K. W. Kim, K. H. Kang, and G. H. Jeong, "Self-Efficacy and Sexual Autonomy among University Students," Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.51-56, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.051
- Y. J. Lee and C. J. Chung, "Relationship Among Appearance Satisfaction, Appearance Behavior and School-related Adjustment of Elementary School Children," Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, Vol.15, No.4, pp.85-104, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2009.15.4.85
- K. H. Lee and G. Ahn, "The Effect of the Interest and Satisfaction in Appearance on Interpersonal Relations and Self-Esteem," The Journal of the Korean Association of Psychotherapy, Vol.5, No.1, pp.73-88, 2013.
- S. J. Chae, The Difference in Adolescents' Self-Respect and Self Efficiency Made by Their Satisfaction with Their Physical Appearances, Kyungpook National University, Master Thesis, 2008.
- H. S. Kang and K. H. Lim, "The Influences of Appearance Satisfaction and Interpersonal Relationship on Self-Efficacy of High School Students in Jeollanam-do," Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol.14, No.1, pp.481-500, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.1.201302.481
- M. S. Jang and J. Y. Lee, "Significant Variables Influencing on Adolescents' Self-Efficacy," Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.12, No.4, pp.433-447, 2003.
- H. H. Kim and S. J. Kim, "Impact of Appearance Satisfaction and Body Image on interpersonal Relationship among Dental Hygiene Students in some Regions," Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.12, pp.337-347, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.337
- H. J. Kim, "The effects of Sociocultural Attitudes Toward Appearance, Appearance Satisfaction, Body-Image, and Self-Esteem on Interpersonal Relationship Ability of Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.1, pp.62-70, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.062
- N. Rumsey, "The psychology of appearance: Why health psychologists should do looks," The European Health Psychologist, Vol.10, pp.46-50, 2008.
- W. Safire, "Lookism," New York Times Magazine, Vol.149, No.21494, p.25, 2000.
- T. F. Cash, "Body image: past, present, and future," Body Image, Vol.1, pp.1-5, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1740-1445(03)00011-1
- S. Grogan and H. Richards, "Body Image: Focus Groups with Boys and Men," Men and Masculinities, Vol.4, No.3, pp.219-232, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/1097184X02004003001
- T. F. Cash and E. C. Fleming, "The impact of body-image experiences: Development of the Body Image Quality of Life Inventory," International Journal of Eating Disorders, Vol.31, pp.455-460, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/eat.10033
- A. Furnham, N. Badmin, and I. Sneade, "Body image dissatisfaction: Gender differences in eating attitudes, self-esteem, and reasons for exercise," The Journal of Psychology, Vol.136, No.6, pp.581-596, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980209604820
- V. D. F. Brink, M. A Smeets, D. J. Hessen, J. G. Talens, and L. Woertman, "Body Satisfaction and Sexual Health in Dutch Female University Students," Journal of Sex Research, Vol.50, No.8, pp.786-794, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224499.2012.684250
- S. C. Want, K. Vickers, and J. Amos, "The Influence of Television Programs on Appearance Satisfaction: Making and Mitigating Social Comparisons to Friends," Sex Roles, Vol.60, No.9-10, pp.642-655, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-008-9563-7
- The Relationship among Body Image, Appearance Management Behavior and Psychosocial Health of Female Undergraduates' vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.301