- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Increasing Flight Endurance of MAVs using Multiple Quantum Well Solar Cells
- Hassanalian, Mostafa (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT)) ;
- Radmanesh, Mohammadreza (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT)) ;
- Sedaghat, Ahmad (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT))
- Received : 2012.12.17
- Accepted : 2014.05.07
- Published : 2014.06.30
Micro Aerial Vehicles (MAVs) are useful devices to assess new features that may be utilized in a full size aircraft to enhance performance or to increase endurance. In this article, sources for energy saving in the micro air vehicles are initially addressed. Then, by specifying the important parameters on energy consumption of an aircraft, a feasibility study is conducted to assess the benefit of using solar cells to increase flight endurance. Next, a new solar cell has been designed and optimized for MAVs. This cell consists of a multiple quantum wells for which the quantum factor and the absorption coefficient are calculated by solving the Shrodinger equation using MATLAB software. Then, the manner and influence of MAVs parameters using the solar cells are examined to suggest optimal planform for different purposes. In order to increase flight endurance, it is noted that by using appropriate planform and the optimized solar cells, flight endurance can be increased by more than 30 percent.
- Mueller, T.J., and Kellogg, C., "Introduction to the Design of Fixed-Wing Micro Air Vehicle", American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics, January 1, 2008.
- Radmanesh, M., Nematollahi, O., Nili-Ahmadabadi, M., and Hassanalian, M., "A Novel Strategy for Designing and Manufacturing a Fixed Wing MAV for the Purpose of Increasing Maneuverability and Stability in Longitudinal Axis", Accepted in Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics(JAFM)
- Hurd, W.R., 2009. "Application of Copper Indium Gallium Diselenide Photovoltaic Cells to Extend the Endurance and Capabilities of unmanned aerial vehicle", California. Naval Postgraduate School, 2009.
- Bronz, M. ,Moschetta, J., "Towards a Long Endurance MAV", Ecole Nationale de l'Aviation Civile, Toulouse, France, 2009.
- Andre, N., "History of Solar flight". Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, July 2008.
- Andre, N., "Design and construction of a solar powered MAV", Internship Report, March 2007.
- Rimadaa, J.C., and Hernandez, L., "Conversion efficiency enhancement of AlGaAs quantum well solar cells", Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 38, April 2007, pp. 513-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2007.03.007
- Methodologies for weight estimation of fixed and flapping wing micro air vehicles vol.52, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-016-0568-y