- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Establishments and Characteristics of Spiritual Spaces in a Traditional Village of Gapa Island, Jejudo
제주 가파도 전통마을의 영(靈)적공간 형성 및 특징연구
- Byun, Kyeong-Hwa ;
- Kang, Eun-Jung ;
- Lee, Jeong-Lim ;
- Kim, Kyu-Han
- 변경화 ;
- 강은정 ;
- 이정림 ;
- Received : 2013.10.31
- Accepted : 2014.01.07
- Published : 2014.01.25
This study aims to identify the establishment and characteristics of spiritual space in a traditional village of island focusing on Gapa Island, Jejudo. The spiritual space in this study are described as religious, emotional and psychological spaces which residents of Gapa Island have customarily something in common. The study employed the qualitative research method by interviewing island residents and field survey about those spaces. The study identified twelve spiritual spaces on Gapa Island which is categorized into four groups; village faith spaces, in other words, Shamanism spaces, general religious facilities, cemetery, and taboo spaces. These spaces were considered as an important islander's spiritual spaces which were built at the same time when the village had been established and was extended. Since these spiritual spaces were built by islanders, they have continuously changed according to the growth of village and new culture from the outside. spiritual spaces settled from the community point of view are using up to the present. Three spiritual spaces of altar, Halmang-Dang of Sangdong and Hadong are essential in religious, emotional and psychological functions of village residents because those three spaces have settled as village faith. In regards to the arrangement of spiritual spaces, the village was divided into East and West areas according to the inner road that connects Sangdong port and Handong port. The alter and cemetery were arranged to the quiet places of the island, East side which was difficult to catch fish due to high wave and the death of water. However, the west side of island which woman divers were able to catch seafood was characterized as active and living area.
Spiritual Space;Village Faith;Religion Facility;Cemetery;Taboo Space;Gapa Island
- 제주도민속자연사박물관, 가파도 학술조사 보고서, 2001.
- 가파초등학교, 가파교85년사, 해동인쇄사, 2006.
- 최길성, 제주도 가파도의 민간신앙, 한국학논집, 9, 1982.
- 고광민, 제주도 포구연구, 도서출판각, 2003.
- 오창명, 제주도마을이름의 종합적 연구 II, 제주대학교 출판부, 2007.
- 한상복, 해양학에서 본 한국학, 해조사, 1988.
- 한상복, 님로드호의 가파도 가축약탈사건, 現代海洋, 237, 1990.
- 행정자치부 국가기록원, 서양고지도를 본 한국, 2007.
- 바실홀, 10일간의 조선항해기(김석중엮음), 도서출판 삶과꿈, 2003.
- 제주특별자치도.(사)제주전통문화연구소, 제주신당조사; 2008 제주시편, 2009 서귀포편, 제주특별자치도, 2009.
- 제주도특별자치도, 제주해양문화스토리텔링
- 미디어제주, 가파도와 마라도 사이의 항해는 추천하지 않아요, 2011.10.22., 기획특집기사.
- 제민일보, 제주 1만8000신들의 좌정처[강정효의 한라산 이야기], 2013.01.28., 제민일보 기획연재기사.
- 김유곤, 우리나라 묘지제도에 관한 연구, 명지대학교 석논, 1991.
- 강정효, 제주신당의 현황과 조사의 성과, 제주신당조사 서귀포시권, 제주특별자치도.(사)제주전통문화연구소, 2009.
- 변경화.이정림, 가파도 커뮤니티공간의 변천특성에 관한 연구, 한국농촌건축학회논문집, 4(4), 2012.02.
Supported by : 한국연구재단