- Volume 23 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Influence of Seasonal Monsoon on Trophic State Index (TSI), Empirical Water Quality Model, and Fish Trophic Structures in Dam and Agricultural Reservoirs
계절적 몬순에 의한 댐 인공호 및 농업용 저수지에서의 영양상태지수(TSI), 경험적 수질 모델 및 어류 트로픽 구조
- Received : 2014.03.19
- Accepted : 2014.07.01
- Published : 2014.07.31
The key objective of this study was to evaluate trophic state and empirical water quality models along with analysis of fish trophic guilds in relation to water chemistry (N, P). Trophic state index (TSI), based on total phosphorus (TP) and chlorophyll-a (CHL), ranged between oligotrophic and hypereutrophic state, by the criteria of Nurnberg(1996), and was lower than the trophic state of total nitrogen (TN). Trophic relations of Secchi depth (SD), TN, TP, and CHL were compared using an empirical models of premonsoon (Pr), monsoon (Mo), and postmonsoon (Po). The model analysis indicated that the variation in water transparency of Secchi depth (SD) was largely accounted (p < 0.001, range of
Artificial reservoir;Empirical water quality model;Trophic guild
- An, K. G., Kim, D. S., 2003, Response of lake water quality to nutrient inputs from various streams and in-lake fishfarms, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 149(1-4), 27-49. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025602213674
- An, K. G., 2000, Monsoon inflow as a major source of in-lake phosphorus, Korean Journal of Limnology, 33, 222-229.
- An, K. G., 2001, Hydrological significance on interannual variability of cations, anions, and conductivity in a large reservoir ecosystem, Korean Journal of Limnology, 34(1), 1-8.
- An, K. G., Park, S. S., 2002, Indirect influence of the summer monsoon on chlorophyll-total phosphorus models in reservoirs: a case study, Ecological Modelling, 152(2-3), 191-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3800(02)00020-0
- An, K. G., Park, S. S., Ahn, K. H., Urchin, C. G., 2003, Dynamics of nitrogen, phosphorus, algal biomass, and suspended solids in an artificial lentic ecosystem and significant implications of regional hydrology on trophic status, Journal of Environmental Biology, 24(1), 29-38.
- Barbour, M. T., Gerritsen, J., Synder, B. D., Stribling, J. B., 1999, Rapid bioassessment protocols for use in streams and wadeable rivers: periphyton, benthic macroinvertibrates and fish, 2nd Ed, EPA 841-B- 99-002. U. S. EPA office of water, Washington, D. C., USA.
- An, K. G., Lee, J. Y., Bae, D. Y., Kim, J. H., Hwang, S. J., Won, D. H., Lee, J. K., Kim, C. S., 2006, Ecological assessments of aquatic environment using multi-metric model in major nationwide stream watersheds, Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 22(5), 796-804.
- An, K. G., Kim, J. K., Lee, S. J., 2008, Reservoir trophic state and empirical model analysis, based on nutrients, transparency, and chlorophyll-a along with their relations among the parameters, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology, 26(3), 252-263.
- An, K. G., Choi, J. W., Lee, Y. J., 2013, Modifications of ecological trophic structures on chemical gradients in lotic ecosystems and their relations to stream ecosystem health, Animal Cells and Systems, 17(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/19768354.2013.769898
- Brown, C. D., Hoyer, M. V., Bachmann, R. W., Canfield, D. E. Jr., 2000, Nutrient-chlorophyll relationships: an evaluation of empirical nutrient-chlorophyll models using Florida and north-temperate lake data, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 57, 1574-1583. https://doi.org/10.1139/f00-090
- Carlson, R. E., 1977, A trophic state index for lakes, Limnology and Oceanography, 22, 361-369. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1977.22.2.0361
- Dillon, P. J., Rigler, F. H., 1974, The phosphorus-chlorophyll relationship in lakes, Limnology and Oceanography, 19, 767-773. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1974.19.5.0767
- Downing, J. A., McCauley, E., 1992, The nitrogen: phosphorus relationship in lakes, Limnology and Oceanography, 37(5), 936-945. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1992.37.5.0936
- Drenner, R. W., Smith, J. D., Threlkeld, S. T., 1996, Lake trophic state and the limnological effects of omnivorous fish, Hydrobiologia, 319, 213-223. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00013734
- Edmondson, W. T., Lehman, J. T., 1981, The effect of changes in the nutrient income on the condition of lake Washington, Limnology and Oceanography, 26, 1-29. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1981.26.1.0001
- Forsberg, C., Ryding, S. O., 1980, Eutrophication parameters and trophic state in 30 Swedish waste receiving lakes, Archiv fur Hydrobiologie, 89, 189-207.
- Hwang, Y., Han, J. H., An, K. G., 2009, Water quality in artificial reservoirs and its relations to dominant reservoir fishes, Korean Journal of Limnology, 42(4), 441-451.
- Kong, K. H., Lee, J. H., An, K. G., 2009, The analysis of water quality and suspended solids effects against transparency of major artificial reservoirs in korea, Korean Journal of Limnology, 42(2), 221-231.
- Kratzer, C. R., Brezonik, P. L., 1981, A carlson-type trophic state index for nitrogen in Florida lakes, Water Resources Bulletin, 17, 713-715. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1981.tb01282.x
- Kim, B., Park, J. H., Hwang, G., Jun, M. S., Choi, K., 2001, Eutrophication of reservoirs in south Korea, Limnology, 2(3), 223-229. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10201-001-8040-6
- Kim, B., Kim, Y., 2004, Phosphorus cycle in a deep reservoir in Asian monsoon area (Lake Soyang, Korea) and the modeling with a 2-D hydrodynamic water quality model [CE-QUAL-W2], Korean Journal of Limnology, 37(2), 205-212.
- Lee, H. W., An, K. G., Park, S. S., 2002, Long-term annual trend analysis of epilimnetic water quality and their longitudinal heterogeneties in Lake Soyang, Korean Journal of Limnology, 35(1), 36-44.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, J. M., Kim, D. S., Hwang, S. J., An, K. G., 2010, Nutrient and chlorophyll-a dynamics in a temperate reservoir influenced by Asian monsoon along with in situ nutrient enrichment bioassays, Limnology, 11, 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10201-009-0289-1
- Lee, J. Y., Lee, J. H., Shin. K. H., Hwang, S. J., An, K. G., 2007, Trophic state and water quality characteristics of Korean agricultural reservoirs, Korean Journal of Limnology, 40(2), 223-233.
- Nurnberg, K. G., 1996, Trophic state of clear and colored, soft- and hardwater lakes with special consideration of nutrients, anoxia, phytoplankton and fish, Journal of lake and reservoir management society, 12(4), 432-447. https://doi.org/10.1080/07438149609354283
- Oglesby, R. T., Schaffner, W. R., 1975, The response of lakes to phosphorus, in: Porter, K. S. (ed.), Nitrogen and phosphorus-food production, waste and the environment, Chapter 2, Ann Arbor Science publishers Inc., Michigan, 23-57.
- Park, H. J., An, K. G., 2007, Trophic state index (TSI) and empirical models, Based on water quality parameters, in Korean reservoirs, Korean Journal of Limnology, 40(1), 14-30.
- Park, Y. M., Lee, E. H., Lee, S. J., An, K. G., 2009, Trophic state characteristics in Topjeong reservoir and their relations among major quality parameters, Korean Journal of Limnology, 42(3), 382-393.
- Ranta, E., Lindstrom, K., 1993, Theory on fish yield versus water quality in lakes, Annales Zoologici Fennici, 30, 71-75.
- Thornton, K. W., 1990, Sedimentary processes. in: Thornton, K. W., Kimmel, B. L., Payne, F. E. (eds.) Reservoir Limnology: ecological perspectives, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 43-70.
- Ryder, R. A., Kerr, S. R., Loftus, K. H., Regier, H. A., 1974, The morphoedaphic index, a fish yield estimator-review and evaluation, Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 31, 663-688. https://doi.org/10.1139/f74-097
- Sakamoto, M., 1966, Primary production by phytoplankton community in some Japanese lakes and its dependence on lake depth, Archiv fur Hydrobiologie, 62, 1-28.
- Thornton, K. W., 1990, Perspectives on reservoir limnology. in: Thornton, K. W., Kimmel, B. L., Payne, F. E. (eds.) Reservoir Limnology: ecological perspectives, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1-4.
- U.S. EPA., 1976, Water quality criteria research of the U.S. Environmental protection agency. Proceeding of an EPA sponsored symposium, EPA-600 (3-76-079), 185.
- U.S. EPA., 1993, Fish field and laboratory methods for evaluating the biological integrity of surface water. EPA 600-R-92-111. Environmental monitoring systems laboratory-cincinati office of modeling, monitoring system, and quality assurance office of research development, U. S. EPA, Cincinnati, Ohio 45268. USA.
- Vollenweider, R. A., 1968, The scientific basis of lake and stream eutrophication, with particular reference to phosphorus and nitrogen as eutrophication factors, Tech, Rep. OECD. Paris. DAS/CSI/68., 27, 1-182.
- Wetzel, E. B., 1975, Limnology. W. B. Saunders Comp., Toronto, 743.
- Wetzel, R. G., 1990, Reservoir ecosystems: conclusions and speculations, in: Thornton, K. W., Kimmel, B. L., Payne, F. E. (eds.) Reservoir Limnology: Ecological perspectives, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 227-238.
- Application of EFDC Model to an Agricultural Reservoir for Assessing the Effect of Point Source Bypassing vol.58, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2016.58.6.009
Grant : 호수생태계 통합적 건강성 평가기법 개발
Supported by : 환경부