- Volume 30 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Consideration of the Application of Symbolic Interactionism to Architectural Design - Based on the Analysis of the Text by Ronald W. Smith and Valerie Bugni -
상징적 상호작용론의 건축디자인 적용에 관한 비판적 고찰 - Ronald W. Smith와 Valerie Bugni의 텍스트 분석을 기초로 -
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.07.30
Both sociologists, Ronald W. Smith and Valerie Bugni have examined application of Symbolic Interactionism of a sociological theory into architectural design thinking method. The paper explores following issues from their serial publications including seven essays from AIA Las Vegas Forum Newsletters, two papers of sociological journals, the first chapter of a forthcoming book, and a syllabus naming "Architectural Sociology": 1)How do they derive culture, social interaction, and self as frameworks for sociological studies of architecture from Symbolic Interactionism to apply architectural design thinking methods, 2)What is the implication of architectural decoding of Holocaust Museum of Washington D.C. in terms of Symbolic Interactionism, and 3)How do they apply these concepts to the design of World Trade Center Memorial in New York. The paper concludes with describing limitations of their frameworks and potentials of Symbolic Interactionism as a architectural design thinking method.
Symbolic Interactionism;Architectural Design;Architectural Sociology;Architectural Decoding;Humanistic Approach
- Bugni, Valerie & Smith, Ronald W. (June 2002-December 2002 and January 2003), Connections(Series), AIA Las Vegas Forum Newsletter(본문 표1. 참조)
- Bugni, Valerie & Smith, Ronald W.(2002), Designed physical environments as related to selves, symbols, and social reality, Humanity and Society, 26(4), p.p.293-311. https://doi.org/10.1177/016059760202600402
- Smith, Ronald W. & Bugni, Valerie (2006), Symbolic Interaction Theory and Architecture, Symbolic Interaction, Vol. 29, p.p.123-155. https://doi.org/10.1525/si.2006.29.2.123
- Smith, Ronald W. (Spring 2006), Sociology 488/688: Architectural Sociology, Course Descriptions-University of Nevada.
- Smith, Ronald W. (미발행 저서), "Architectural Sociology" 의 1장. Sociological Perspective of Architecture.
- 하버트 블루머/ 박영신 역(1982), 사회과학의 상징적 교섭론, 도서출판 까치 (원저: Blumer, Herbert(1969), Symbolic Interactionsm: Perspectives and Method, Berkeley: University of California Press)
Supported by : 경북대학교