- Volume 56 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Water Supply Adequacy using Real-time Water Level Monitoring System in Paddy Irrigation Canals
실시간 관개수로 수위 모니터링을 활용한 논 관개용수 공급적정성 평가
- Hong, Eun Mi ;
- Nam, Won-Ho (School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska-Lincoln) ;
- Choi, Jin-Yong ;
- Kim, Jin-Taek
- Received : 2014.04.16
- Accepted : 2014.06.03
- Published : 2014.07.31
Appropriate amount of water supply to paddy fields in proper time is important to achieve efficient agricultural water management. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the irrigation water supply adequacy for paddy fields using water level data in irrigation canals. For the evaluation, the real-time water level data were collected from main canals in the Dongjin irrigation district for 2 years. Using the water level data, delivered irrigation water amounts at the distribution points of each canal were calculated. The water balance model for paddy field was designed considering intermittent irrigation and the irrigation water requirement was estimated. Irrigation water supply adequacy was analyzed from main canals to the irrigation blocks based on the comparison between estimated requirement and delivered irrigation water amounts. From the adequacy analysis, irrigation water supply showed poor management condition in 2012 with low efficiency except the Daepyong canal section, and the adequacy in 2013 was good or fair except the Yongsung canal section. When irrigation water for paddy fields was insufficient, water supply adequacy was affected by irrigation area, but when irrigation water was enough to supply, adequacy was affected by distance from main canal to distribution points. These results of the spatial and temporal dimensions of the irrigation adequacy could be utilized for efficient irrigation water management to improve the temporal uniformity and equity in the water distribution for paddy fields.
Grant : 용수계통 최적 용수공급량 분석 및 산정모듈 통합 개발
Supported by : 한국농어촌공사, 한국농어촌연구원
- Allen, R.G., L.S. Pereira, D. Raes and M. Smith, 1998. Crop evapotranspiration: guidelines for computing crop requirements. FAO Irrigation and Drainage, Paper No. 56, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- Choi, J.K., J.G. Son and Y.J. Kim, 2012a. Analysis of agricultural water supply system at the Dongjin-River basin. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(1): 11-18 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.1.011
- Choi, J.K., J.G. Son, J.T. Kim and Y.J. Kim, 2012b. Flow characteristics of lateral irrigation canals diverted from Kimje main canal in Dongjin irrigation area. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(5): 113-121 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.5.113
- Chung, S.O. and S.H. Son, 2001. Return flow analysis of paddy field by water balance method. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 43(2): 59-68 (in Korean).
- Im, S.J., S.W. Park and H.J. Kim, 2000. Methodology for estimating agricultural water supply in the Han River basin. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 33(6): 765-774 (in Korean).
- Kim, H.J., C.G. Kim and S. Kim, 2003. Assessment of water management efficiencies for irrigation pumping stations in the Han River and Nakdong River basins. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 45(1): 23-32 (in Korean).
- Lee, K.Y. and S.J. Kim, 2001. Development of the estimation system for agricultural water demand. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 43(1): 53-65 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y.J., P.S. Kim, S.J. Kim, Y.K. Jee and U.J. Joo, 2008. Estimation of water loss in irrigation canals through field measurement. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 50(1): 13-21 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2008.50.1.013
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), 1998. Design criteria of land and water development plan for agriculture (Irrigation). Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Republic of South Korea (in Korean).
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), 1999. Comprehensive report of agricultural water requirement. Korea Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Republic of South Korea (in Korean).
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), 2003. Design of automated agricultural water management system in Dongjin regions. Korea Agricultural and Rural Infrastructure Corporation, Republic of South Korea (in Korean).
- Mishra, A., S. Ghosh, R.K. Mohanty and P.S. Brahamand, 2013. Performance evaluation of a rehabilitated minor irrigation project and augmentation of its water resource through secondary storage reservoir. Agricultural Water Management 128: 32-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2013.06.006
- Molden, D.J., and T.K. Gates, 1990. Performance measures for evaluation of irrigation-water-delivery systems. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 116: 804-823. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1990)116:6(804)
- Nam, W.H., J.Y. Choi, M.W. Jang and E.M. Hong, 2013a. Agricultural drought risk assessment using reservoir drought index. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(3): 41-49 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.3.041
- Nam, W.H., J.Y. Choi, E.M. Hong and J.T. Kim, 2013b. Assessment of irrigation efficiencies using smarter water management. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(4): 45-53 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.4.045
- Park, S.W., 2001. A method for increasing irrigation efficiency in agricultural water use. Journal of Rural and Environmental Engineering 70: 3-12 (in Korean).
- Decision Support System for the Real-Time Operation and Management of an Agricultural Water Supply vol.65, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.1935