- Volume 56 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Projection of Future Water Supply Sustainability in Agricultural Reservoirs under RCP Climate Change Scenarios
기후변화 시나리오를 고려한 농업용 저수지의 미래 용수공급 지속가능성 전망
- Nam, Won-Ho (School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska-Lincoln) ;
- Hong, Eun-Mi ;
- Kim, Taegon ;
- Choi, Jin-Yong
- Received : 2014.01.21
- Accepted : 2014.07.22
- Published : 2014.07.31
Climate change influences multiple environmental aspects, certain of which are specifically related to agricultural water resources such as water supply, water management, droughts and floods. Understanding the impact of climate change on reservoirs in relation to the passage of time is an important component of water resource management for stable water supply maintenance. Changes on rainfall and hydrologic patterns due to climate change can increases the occurrence of reservoir water shortage and affect the future availability of agricultural water resources. It is a main concern for sustainable development in agricultural water resources management to evaluate adaptation capability of water supply under the future climate conditions. The purpose of this study is to predict the sustainability of agricultural water demand and supply under future climate change by applying an irrigation vulnerability assessment model to investigate evidence of climate change occurrences at a local scale with respect to potential water supply capacity and irrigation water requirement. Thus, it is a recommended practice in the development of water supply management strategies on reservoir operation under climate change.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ahn, J.M., T.H. Im, I.J. Lee, and S.U. Cheon, 2014. Assessment of future river environment considering climate change and basin runoff characteristics. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 47(3): 269-283 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.3.269
- Bae, D.H., I.W. Jung, B.J. Lee, and M.H. Lee, 2011. Future Korean water resources projection considering uncertainty of GCMs and hydrological models. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 44(5): 389-406 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2011.44.5.389
- Chung, G.H., M.H. Jeon, H.S. Kim, and T.W. Kim, 2011. Adaptation capability of reservoirs considering climate change in the Han river basin, South Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 31(5B): 439-447 (in Korean).
- Chung, S.O., 2009. Climate change impacts on paddy irrigation requirement in the Nakdong river basin. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(2): 35-41 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.2.035
- Chung, S.O., 2010. Simulating evapotranspiration and yield response of rice to climate change using FAOAquaCrop. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(3): 57-64 (in Korean).
- Doorenbos, J., and W.O. Pruitt, 1977. Guidelines for Predicting Crop Water Requirements. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 24, FAO, Rome.
- Fry, L.M., D.W. Watkins, N. Reents, M.D. Rowe, and J.R. Mihelcic, 2012. Climate change and development impacts on the sustainability of spring-fed water supply systems in the Alto Beni region of Bolivia. Journal of Hydrology 468-469: 120-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.08.023
- Hong, E.M., J.Y. Choi, S.H. Lee, S.H. Yoo, and M.S. Kang, 2009. Estimation of paddy rice evapotranspiration considering climate change using LARS-WG. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(3): 25-35 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.3.025
- Hwang, S.W., 2012. Utility of gridded observations for statistical bias-correction of climate model outputs and its hydrologic implication over west central Florida. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(5): 91-102. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.5.091
- Hwang, S.W., Y.G. Her, and S.W. Chang, 2013. Uncertainty in regional climate change impact assessment using bias-correction technique for future climate scenarios. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(4): 95-106 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.4.095
- Jee, Y.K., J.H. Lee, and S.D. Kim, 2012. Climate change impacts on agricultural water in Nakdongriver watershed. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(3): 149-157 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.3.149
- Jeung, S.J., J.H. Sung, and B.S. Kim, 2013. Change projection of extreme indices using RCP climate change scenario. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 46(11): 1089-1101 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.11.1089
- Jun, S.M., E.S. Chung, S.H. Lee, and Y. Kim, 2013. Development and application of robust decision making technique considering uncertainty of climatic change scenarios. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 46(9): 897-907 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.9.897
- Kay, P.A., 2000. Measuring sustainability in Israel's water system. International Water Resources Association 25(4): 617-623.
- Kim, B.S., J.H. Sung, B.H. Lee, and D.J. Kim, 2013a. Evaluation on the impact of extreme droughts in South Korea using the SPEI and RCP 8.5 climate change scenario. Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 13(2): 97-109 (in Korean).
- Kim, C.R., Y.O. Kim, S.B. Seo, and S.W. Choi, 2013b. Water balance projection using climate change scenarios in the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 46(8): 807-819 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.8.807
- Kim, M.H., H.S. Kang, J.H. Lee, H.J. Baek, and C.H. Cho, 2013c. Estimates of the water cycle and river discharge change over the global land at the end of 21st century based on RCP scenarios of HadGEM2-AO climate model. Atmosphere. Korean Meteorological Society 23(4): 425-441 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2013.23.4.425
- Kim, M.K., 2005. The applicability of the statistical downscaling method for climate change scenario in Korea. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 41: 217-227 (in Korean).
- Kim, M.K., M.S. Han, D.H. Jang, S.G. Baek, W.S. Lee, Y.H. Kim, and S. Kim, 2012. Production technique of observation grid data of 1km resolution. Journal of Climate Research 7(1): 55-68 (in Korean).
- Kim, M.K., D.H. Lee, and J. Kim, 2013d. Production and validation of daily grid data with 1km resolution in South Korea. Journal of Climate Research 8(1): 13-25 (in Korean).
- Kim, S.U., Y.S. Lee, and C.E. Lee, 2014. The application of various non-parametric trend tests to observed and future rainfall data in the Nakdong River basin. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 47(3): 223-235 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.3.223
- Korean Rural Community and Agriculture Corporation (KRC), 2012. Statistical yearbook of land and water development for agriculture. Ministry for food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of South Korea (in Korean).
- Lee, K., H.J. Baek, S. Park, H.S. Kang, and C.H. Cho, 2012. Future projection of changes in extreme temperatures using high resolution regional climate change scenario in the Republic of Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 47(2): 208-225 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y.H., Y.J. Oh, C.S. Na, M.H. Kim, K.K. Kang, and S.T. Yoon, 2013. Vulnerability assessment on spring drought in the field of agriculture. Climate Change Research 4(4): 397-407 (in Korean).
- Loucks, D.P., 2000. Sustainable water resources management. International Water Resources Association 25(1): 3-10.
- Nam, W.H., T.G. Kim, J.Y. Choi, and J.J. Lee, 2012. Vulnerability assessment of water supply in agricultural reservoir utilizing probability distribution and reliability analysis methods. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(2): 37-46 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.2.037
- Nam, W.H., 2013. Sustainability and operations evaluation of agricultural reservoirs based on probability theory. Ph.D. diss., Seoul National University.
- Nam, W.H., E.M. Hong, and J.Y. Choi, 2014. Uncertainty of water supply in agricultural reservoirs considering the climate change. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(2): 11-23 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.2.011
- Nam, W.H., and J.Y. Choi, 2014. Development of an irrigation vulnerability assessment model in agricultural reservoirs utilizing probability theory and reliability analysis. Agricultural Water Management 142: 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2014.05.009
- Nkomozepi, T., and S.O. Chung, 2014. Uncertainty of hydro-meteorological predictions due to climate change in the Republic of Korea. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 47(3): 257-267. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.3.257
- No, S.H., K.S. Jung, J.H. Park, and K.S. Ryoo, 2013. Water supply change outlook for Geum River basin considering RCP climate change scenario. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 46(5): 505-517 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.5.505
- Park, B.S., J.H. Lee, C.J. Kim, and H.W. Jang, 2013. Projection of future drought of Korea based on probabilistic approach using multi-model and multi climate change scenarios. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 33(5): 1871-1885 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.5.1871
- Shin, H.J., M.J. Park, H.K. Joh, G.A. Park, and S.J. Kim, 2010. Projection and analysis of future temperature and precipitation using LARS-WG downscaling technique - for 8 meteorological stations of South Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(4): 83-91 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2010.52.4.083
- Sohn, K.H., D.H. Bae, and J.H. Ahn, 2014. Projection and analysis of drought according to future climate and hydrological information in Korea. Journal of the Korean Water Resources Association 47(1): 71-82 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.1.71
- Sung, J.H., H.S. Kang, S.H. Park, C.H. Cho, D.H. Bae, and Y.O. Kim, 2012. Projection of extreme precipitation at the end of 21st century over South Korea based Representative Concentration Pathways (RCP). Atmosphere. Korean Meteorological Society 22(2): 221-231 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2012.22.2.221
- Yoo, J.Y., H.H. Kwon, T.W. Kim, and S.O. Lee, 2014. Probabilistic assessment of drought characteristics based on homogeneous hidden markov model. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 34(1): 145-153 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2014.34.1.0145
- Yun, D.K., S.O. Chung, and S.J. Kim, 2011. Climate change impacts on paddy water requirement. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(4): 39-47 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2011.53.4.037
- Projection of Consumptive Use and Irrigation Water for Major Upland Crops using Soil Moisture Model under Climate Change vol.56, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.5.077