- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Identification of resources and competences for value co-creation in the relationship network of high-tech B2B firm
첨단 기술 기반 B2B 회사의 관계 네트워크에서의 공동 가치 창출을 위한 자원 및 역량 도출
- Park, Changhyun (Department of Management of Technology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Heesang (Department of Management of Technology, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2014.04.08
- Accepted : 2014.07.10
- Published : 2014.07.31
Value co-creation is an important business strategy these days in both the business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-consumer (B2C) markets. The aim of this study was to identify specialized resources and competences for value co-creation in the relationship network within a high-tech B2B market. A case of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TSMC) with customers and partners was chosen as the study case. Based on the observations, contents analysis of the secondary data and unstructured interviews with former TSMC employees, 4 critical resource types (financial, knowledge, efficiency and intellectual resource) and 6 competence types (relational, collaboration, strategic, innovation, managing and service capability), were performed as the principal factors for value co-creation in the relationship network. A research framework that can analyze the value co-creation phenomena in the relationship network was established.
Supported by : NRF
- Strauss, A. & Corbin, J. 1998, "Basics of qualitative research: Procedures and techniques for developing grounded theory", Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Eisenhardt, K.M. 1989, "Building theories from case study research", Academy of Management Review, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 532-550. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258557 https://doi.org/10.2307/258557
- Glaser, B.G. & Strauss, A.L. 1967, The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative research, Aldine de Gruyter.
- Siggelkow, N. 2007, "Persuasion with case studies", The Academy of Management Journal ARCHIVE, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 20-24. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160882 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160882
- Bryman, A. & Bell, E. 2007, Business Research Methods, Oxford University Press, USA.
- Ulaga, W. & Eggert, A. 2006, "Value-Based Differentiation in Business Relationships: Gaining and Sustaining Key Supplier Status", Journal of Marketing, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 119-136. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.119 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.119
- Prahalad, C.K. & Ramaswamy, V., "Co-opting customer competence", Harvard business review, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 79-90, 2000.
- Aarikka-Stenroos, L. & Jaakkola, E., "Value co-creation in knowledge intensive business services: A dyadic perspective on the joint problem solving process", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 15-26, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.11.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.11.008
- Gronroos, C., "Value-driven relational marketing: From products to resources and competencies", Journal of marketing management, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 407-419, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.1997.9964482 https://doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.1997.9964482
- Jun-Seok Seo, Sang-Chul Jung, "Building a framework of successful knowledge management for value creation", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 2528-2539, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.6.2528
- Payne, A.F., Storbacka, K. & Frow, P., "Managing the co-creation of value", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 83-96, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0070-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0070-0
- Sirmon, D.G., Hitt, M.A. & Ireland, R.D., "Managing Firm Resources in Dynamic Environments to Create Value: Looking Inside the Black Box", Academy of Management Review, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 273-292, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2007.23466005 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2007.23466005
- Armstrong, G. & Kotler, P. 2011, Marketing: an Introduction 10th Ed. Prentice-Hall
- Lindgreen, A. & Wynstra, F. 2005, "Value in business markets: What do we know? Where are we going?", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 732-748. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.01.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.01.001
- Frow, P. & Payne, A. 2011, "A stakeholder perspective of the value proposition", European Journal of Marketing, vol. 45, no. 1/2, pp. 223-240. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090561111095676 https://doi.org/10.1108/03090561111095676
- Vargo, S.L. & Lusch, R.F. 2008, "Service-dominant logic: continuing the evolution", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1-10. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0069-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0069-6
- Jaakkola, E. 2013, "Value co-creation in solution networks", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 42, no.1, pp. 47-58. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2012.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2012.11.005
- Barney, J., "Special theory forum the resource-based model of the firm: origins, implications, and prospects", Journal of Management, vol. 17, no. 1, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700107 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700107
- Barney, J.B., "Is the resource-based" view" a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes", Academy of Management Review, , pp. 41-56, 2001a. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/259393 https://doi.org/10.2307/259393
- Prahalad, C.K. & Hamel, G., "The core competence of the corporation", Harvard business review, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 79-91, 1990.
- Daniel, H.Z., Hempel, D.J. & Srinivasan, N. 2002, "A model of value assessment in collaborative R&D programs", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 653-664. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(01)00173-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(01)00173-0
- Hsu, C., Chen, H. & Jen, L. 2008, "Resource linkages and capability development", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 677-685. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.12.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.12.001
- Park & Lee, 2014, "Analysis on value research trend and building the resource and competence based research framework for value creation", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 4, Accepted & will be published, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.1923
- Yin, R.K. 2009, Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Sage publications, INC.
- Chesbrough, H.W. & Appleyard, M.M., "Open Innovation and Strategy", California management review, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 57-76, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/41166416 https://doi.org/10.2307/41166416
- Anderson, J.C. & Narus, J.A., "Business Marketing:Understand What Customers Value", Harvard business review, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 53-65, 1998.
- Morgan, R.M. & Hunt, S.D., "The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing", Journal of Marketing, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 20, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252308 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252308
- Dong-Won Sohn, "The Role of Trust in the Creation of Economic Value in Organizations", Journal of Business Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 285-312, 2002.
- Byung-Hee Lee, "Firm Value Creation Effect of Global Collaborations for Technology Development: A Longitudinal Analysis of Korean Firms", The e-Business Studies, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 121-135, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.12.2.201106.121
- Lieberman, M.B. & Montgomery, D.B. 1988, "Firstmover advantages", Strategic Management Journal, vol. 9, no. S1, pp. 41-58. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250090706 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250090706
- Ngo, L.V. & O'Cass, A., "Creating value offerings via operant resource-based capabilities", Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 45-59, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.11.002
- Cohen, W.M. & Levinthal, D.A., "Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation", Administrative Science Quarterly, , pp. 128-152, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2393553 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Thiry, M., "Combining value and project management into an effective programme management model", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 221-227, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(01)00072-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(01)00072-2