- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Emotional Labor, Job Stress and Eating Attitudes among Clinical Nurses
임상간호사의 감정노동, 직무스트레스와 섭식태도와의 관련성
- Im, Sun-Im (Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Chosun University) ;
- Cho, Eun-A (Department of Nursing, Honam University)
- Received : 2014.03.04
- Accepted : 2014.07.10
- Published : 2014.07.31
This study examined the relationship between the emotional labor, job stress and eating attitudes among clinical nurses. The data was collected from 434 clinical nurses in G city, from February 21 to March 31, 2013 and analyzed using the SPSS 17.0 program. The mean levels of the clinical nurse's emotional labor, job stress and eating attitudes were 3.53, 3.81 and 2.27, respectively. The emotional labor showed a significant positive correlation between job stress (r= .570, p=<.001) and eating attitudes (r= .114, p<.05). In addition, the factors affecting the eating attitude were BMI (
- J. I. Kim, "Emotional labor, job stress, and fatigue of nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Kwandong University, Gangneung, 2013.
- E. J. Bae, "The H hotel employees' emotional labor and emotional intelligence impact on job stress", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2012.
- S. K. Cho, & H. S. Jung, "A study on response of job stress and emotional Labor of the sales workers of department store", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 15(2), pp. 83-93, 2006.
- H. J. Kim, "A study on emotional labor and burnout among aestheticians working at skin-care shops", Journal of Korean Beauty Society, 9(1), pp.86-119, 2003.
- M. K. Shin, & H. L. Kang, "Effects of emotional labor and occupational stress on somatization in nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 17(2), pp.158-167, 2011 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158
- J. H. Kim, "Model construction of occupational stress in manufacturing workers", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2000.
- J, H. Kim, M. Y. Hyun, & S. Y. Kim, "Job stress, depression, social support, and coping strategies of clinical nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 18(2), pp.219 -231, 2009.
- Y. H. Yem, & K. E. Lee, "Body mass index (BMI) of college women group for the relevant factors affecting the eating attitude analysis", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 40(5), pp.676-685, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.676
- M. S. Choi, & S. H. Cheon, "Internalization of the sociocultural attitudes, body shape satisfaction, anger and eating attitudes in college women", Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 13(4), pp.327-335, 2007.
- M. H. Sung, "Factors influencing eating disorders of college women", The Journal of the Korean Socity of School Health, 18(1), pp.71-82, 2005.
- S. J. Kim, "Analysis of related factors on eating attitudes of university hospital nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Pochon CHA University, Pochon, 2003.
- Szweda S, & Thorne P, "The prevalence of eating disorder in female health care students", Occupational Medicine(Oxford, England), 52(3), pp.113-119, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/occmed/52.3.113 https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/52.3.113
- Cheng C1, Bartram T, Karimi L, & Leggat SG, "The role of team climate in the management of emotional labour: implications for nurse retention", Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(12), pp.2812-2815, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jan.12202 https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12202
- S. A. Park, & J. H. Kim. "Job stress and social support according to the types of behavior pattern: a study of staff nurses in a general hospital", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 7(2), pp.349-359, 2001.
- Chou LP, Li CY, & Hu SC, "Job stress and burnout in hospital employees: comparisons of different medical professions in a regional hospital in Taiwan", BMJ Open, 4(2):e004185. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004185, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004185 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004185
- McNulty PA, "Prevalence and contributing factors of eating disorder behaviors in a population of female Navy nurses", Military Medicine, 162(10), pp.703-706, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/162.10.703
- M. J. Kim, "Effects of the hotel employee's emotional labor upon the job-related attitudes", Travel Research, 21(2), pp.129-141, 1998.
- M. O. Gu, & M. J. Kim, "The nurse on duty to experience stress test tool for research and development", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 14(2), pp.28-37, 1985.
- J. H. Ju, "ER nurses's job stress main factors influencing on the organizational effectiveness", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2009.
- Garner DM, & Garfinkel PE, "The eating attitude test:and index of the symtoms of anorexia nervosa", Psychological Medicine, 9(2), pp.273-279, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700030762 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700030762
- S. S. Lee, "The relationship between eating behavior and psychological factors", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 1993.
- M. H. Kang, M. G. Kwon, & S. Y. Youn, "Self-efficacy, nursing organizational culture and emotional labor in clinical nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), pp.266-273, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.266 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.266
- H. S. Cho, "A study on the relationship among job stress, emotional labor and turnover intent of clinical nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2012.
- G. J. Lee, J. S. Won, S. B. Im, S. A. Kim, S. J. Kim, S. Lee, et al., "Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing", Seoul, Sumunsa, 2011.
- H. G. Kang, Y. G. Jee, S. J. Kim, J. Y. Lim, H. Yoon, W. S. Jung, et al., "Original articles: The effects of psychological factors on eating attitude in university hospital's nurses", Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 14(2), pp.149-158, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-0979.2005.00372.x
- Morris JA, & Feldman DC, "Managing emotions In the workplace", Journal of Managerial Issues, 4(3), pp.257-274, 1997.
- Y. K. Yang, "A study on burnout, emotional labor, and self-efficacy in nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 17(4), pp.423-431, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- Brotheridge CM, & Grandey AA, "Emotional labor and burnout: Comparing two perspectives of "people work", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 60(1), pp.17-39, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815 https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- I. S. Kim, "The role of self-efficacy and social support in the relationship between emotional labor and burn out, turn over intention among hospital nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 15(4), pp.515-526, 2009.
- Heuven E, Bakker AB, Schaufeli WB, & Huisman N, "The role of self-efficacy in performing emotion work", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 69(2), pp.222-235, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2006.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2006.03.002