- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Recommendation Using Social Network Analysis with Collaborative Filtering in Social Network Sites
SNS에서 사회연결망 기반 추천과 협업필터링 기반 추천의 비교
- Received : 2014.03.24
- Accepted : 2014.05.29
- Published : 2014.06.30
As social network services has become one of the most successful web-based business, recommendation in social network sites that assist people to choose various products and services is also widely adopted. Collaborative Filtering is one of the most widely adopted recommendation approaches, but recommendation technique that use explicit or implicit social network information from social networks has become proposed in recent research works. In this paper, we reviewed and compared research works about recommendation using social network analysis and collaborative filtering in social network sites. As the results of the analysis, we suggested the trends and implications for future research of recommendation in SNSs. It is expected that graph-based analysis on the semantic social network and systematic comparative analysis on the performances of social filtering and collaborative filtering are required.
Social Filtering;Collaborative Filtering;Social Information;Social Network Site
- Huang, Zan, Li, Xin, and Chen, Hsinchun, "Link prediction approach to collaborative filtering", paper presented at the Proceedings of the 5th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries, Denver, CO, USA 2005.
- Ellison, N. B. and D. M. Boyd, "Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship", Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.13, No.1(2007), pp.210-230. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00393.x
- Xu, Yunhong, Ma, Jian, Sun, Yong-Hong, Hao, Jinxing, Sun, Yongqiang, and Zhao, Yongqiang, "Using Social Network Analysis as a Strategy for E-Commerce Recommendation", paper presented at the PACIS 2009, Hyderabad, India, 2009.
- Freeman, L. C., "Centrality in social networks conceptual clarification", Social networks, Vol. 1, No.3(1979), pp.215-239.
- Konstas, Ioannis, Stathopoulos, Vassilios, and Jose, Joemon M., "On social networks and collaborative recommendation", paper presented at the Proceedings of the 32nd international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, Boston, MA, USA, 2009.
- Cantador, I. and P. Castells, "Multilayered semantic social network modeling by ontologybased user profiles clustering : Application to collaborative filtering", Managing Knowledge in a World of Networks (Springer), (2006), 334-349.
- Huang, Zan, Zeng, Daniel, and Chen, Hsinchun, "A comparison of collaborative-filtering recommendation algorithms for e-commerce", Intelligent Systems, IEEE, Vol.22, No.5(2007), pp. 68-78. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIS.2007.4338497
- Kautz, Henry, Selman, Bart, and Shah, Mehul, "Referral Web : combining social networks and collaborative filtering", Communications of the ACM, Vol.40, No.3(1997), pp.63-65.
- Bobadilla, Jesus, Ortega, Fernando, Hernando, Antonio, and Gutiérrez, Abraham, "Recommender systems survey", Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol.46(2013), pp.109-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2013.03.012
- Golbeck, J. and Hendler, J., "Filmtrust: Movie recommendations using trust in web-based social networks", paper presented at the Proceedings of the IEEE Consumer communications and networking conference, 2006.
- Mesnage, Cédric S, Rafiq, Asma, Dixon, Simon, and Brixtel, Romain P., "Music discovery with social networks", paper presented at the Workshop on Music Recommendation and Discovery, Chicago, USA., 2011.
- Liu, F. and H. J. Lee, "Use of social network information to enhance collaborative filtering performance", Expert systems with applications, Vol.37, No.7(2010), pp.4772-4778. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.12.061
- You, Tithrottanak, Rosli, Ahmad Nurzid, Ha, Inay, and G.-S. Jo, "Collaborative Filtering based on Clustering method using Genre and Interest in SNS", paper presented at the Proceedings of Korea Intelligent Information System Society, 2012.
- Thay, Setha, Ha, Inay, and G.-S. Jo, "Collaborative Filtering Method based on User's Behavior in Social Network", paper presented at the Proceedings of Korea Intelligent Information System Society, 2012.
- Park, J. H., Y. H. Cho, and J. K. Kim, "Social Network : A Novel Approach to New Customer Recommendations", Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Vol.15, No.1(2009), pp.123-140.
- Ohira, Masao, Ohsugi, Naoki, Ohoka, Tetsuya, and Matsumoto, Ken-ichi, "Accelerating crossproject knowledge collaboration using collaborative filtering and social networks", paper presented at the ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, 2005.
- Su, X. and T. M. Khoshgoftaar, "A survey of collaborative filtering techniques", Advances in artificial intelligence, Vol.2009, No.1(2009), pp.1-19.
- Lerman, K., "Social networks and social information filtering on digg", arXiv preprint cs/0612046, Vol.2006, No.1(2006), pp.1-8.
- Domingos, P., "Mining social networks for viral marketing", IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.20, No.1(2005), pp.80-82. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIS.2005.16
- Devi, MK Kavitha and Venkatesh, P., "Kernel based collaborative recommender system for e-purchasing", Sadhana, Vol.35, No.5(2010), pp. 513-524. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-010-0035-8
- Sarwar, Badrul, Karypis, George, Konstan, Joseph, and Riedl, John, "Application of dimensionality reduction in recommender system-a case study", paper presented at the ACM WebKDD Workshop, 2000.
- Shardanand, Upendra and Maes, Pattie, "Social information filtering: algorithms for automating "word of mouth", paper presented at the Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems, Denver, Colorado, USA 1995.
Supported by : Kyonggi University